Food Lovers in France

Good news that guarantees, even if limited, are now being given across the EU. Do the French know this?

I did not realise they were Swedish. I always thought they were English........live and learn!

Oh yes, most of their stoves are made in England if that is interesting too.

Aga

Brian, that is interesting.......what is the name of the Swedish company?

Thank you so much for all of the input. I have been looking at all of the electromenager shops and the English as well. Will continue until I find exactly what we need.

The Aga group produce Rangemasters, Rayburns and a couple of other stoves. You can get full gas and hard fuel models across their entire range, but they cost. We have a Rayburn Nouvelle which would be too small for you, but 2.5K for a recon. Just to give you an idea. However, worth it. They are a Swedish company gone walkabout so understand about international service and their guarantees issued in an EU country cover the entire union. Take a dekko at least.

Very interesting, Bryan. Some of the better companies have started to give EU-wide guarantees, even if sometimes the cover is slightly restricted. We brought back a Panasonic Microwave/Oven/Grill that failed very early in its life. We had to take it to an agent in Lyon, but they and/or Panasonic fixed it & it's been fine ever since. Lunch in Lyon is not what I'd call a hardship!

What's possibly interesting for Anne is that Belling and Stoves are part of the same group, so it would be reasonable to hope that Stoves offer similar terms.

We have just bought a belling had to pay a little extra for the bottled gas burners but great product and they told us it would be covered for breakdown out of UK as long as eu country

Rangemaster def. provide in France...I had one in the UK and was keen to have the same...we found a shop that sells them...but equally my friend had a Stoves from France....Rangemaster are more solid cookers...and a bit more expensive than the Stoves....

Be careful if you buy from the UK and import, your guarantee will not be valid.

We have a Smeg dual fuel and double oven, although the other oven is very narrow and I cannot even warm dinner plates in it.

The lady we bought the house from left her kitchen and, although we changed the kitchen, we kept her electric fan oven as well as the "piano"!

The Smeg range cooker is not as low as some, bending down to take a large dish from the oven can be difficult as one gets older. The other oven is at chest height.

We bought our range cooker from MDA.

Looking at stoves.co.uk, I don't think dual-fuel can mean that the oven(s) are gas or electric, but that the hob is gas and the oven(s) & grill are fuelled by electricity.

As for changing from natural gas to bottled gas it's simply a matter of screwing in the correct burner jets, bearing in mind that bottled gas here can be either butane or propane. Back in the day, when still in the UK, we installed a French "dual-fuel" hob. It had 2 gas rings & two electric, and I had to get the right jets for the gas.

I haven't checked out all their range cookers, but some of the handbooks on the stoves.co.uk site specifically mention that LPG conversion kits are available from the Customer Care dept. Perhaps whoever you contacted didn't realise that bottled gas = LPG. It's certainly worth reading the handbook for a cooker you like to see if it has such a kit available.

Gas is not something to mess with (unless you like explosions) so do ensure that your gas installation fully meets French requirements. There are strict rules about piping and tubing and bottle location, in particular. You mess with these at considerable risk, including possibly losing your household insurance cover.

From what I have seen, you are better off with a range cooker...the company that make Aga's also make the Rangemaster and I am not sure, but think they may take bottle gas...but you would have to check. I am aware of lots of hobs using bottle gas...but not ovens.

Hello, I wonder if anyone has any advice re cookers. I am looking for a free standing double oven dual fuel cooker and I need to use bottled gas. I like the look of the stoves brand which is available here but is cheaper in England but the English office said that it could not use bottled gas. I have found that very few french cookers have double ovens.

That looks delicious Bryan. Top class.

The picture below is 1 of this year starters I am preparing this year at Glyndebourne.It is for anyone interested 3 fresh poached and chilled tiger prawns surrounded by trimmed Kent asparagus,drizzled with fresh trufle vinaigrette,topped with aparagus spears and tomato concasse. Served with a Nori bread crute topped with a line of artichoke puree 2 slithers of raw carrot,2 slithers of fresh raddish,slither of fennel and 2 sprigs of micro basil. It takes me around 2 hours to prepare the crute for 100 people and often we are getting considerably more on order. But I thought you foodies might be interested.

Nah, I love food and also cooking but believe in never thinking only main course like so many people do. It's what we're having this evening anyway.

Now you are spoiling us Brian!

Thanks Brian!