Food lovers in France

In the southern Tarn: Les Bistrot des Saveurs in central Castres: wonderful Michelin-starred restaurant with imaginative, inventive dishes, owned by Newcastle chef Simon Scott.

Le Cap de Castel in Puylaurens: fine dining on a terrace with amazing views towards the Pyrenees, or in an elegant dining room in an ancient building when the weather's less fine.

For budget lunches, we enjoy Le Café de la Place in Serviès, Le Mandragore in Castres, amongst many others.

Hi Chris

I would have to agree with you about Les Bistrot des Saveurs. We tried this restaurant at the beginning of September and the food was fantastic, but I have to say for me the atmosphere killed it, terribly pretentious, such a shame, it had been highly recommeded and I so wanted to like it. We haven't tried the Le Cap de Castel, so thanks for the tip. For a good budget lunch L'Escurial is a favourite and there is a lovely recently opened restuarant called Les Cocottes Blanche, the owner is Parisian and charming. The crevettes with Lautrec garlic is her signature dish and definitely worth trying.