For Spitfire fans and other planes

From another time… wonderful stuff…

3 Likes

For a minute there Stella I thought you were going to feature footage of that well known rust bucket the Triumph Spitfire.

1 Like

… and for those who have not seen it (turn up the sound)

4 Likes

If you insist :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would have been more of a success if it had come with a complementary pair of wellies. Unfortunately like so many products of the UK auto industry.

2 Likes

ISTR that it was originally cobbled together from bits of other models to save on development costs?

As for rust bucket - wasn’t everything, back then?

1 Like

Last year was a milestone birthday for 80-year-old Mr. H. so I treated him to a one-hour flight in a Spitfire (from Biggin Hill). We were treated like royalty, he got in that Spitfire and was flown all over the countryside and along the coast at Dover - above the Spitfire Memorial - and actually was allowed to take the controls and pilot the plane for a few minutes. All the time, there were two GoPro cameras recording - one looking forward and one rear-wards watching Mr. H.'s reaction - so we have that as a fabulous souvenir. Later we were given a private tour of the museum. It was an amazing day, so memorable since he had always wanted to go in a Spittie since he was a little boy. So that’s crossed off his bucket list. (for info - next bucket list item for next birthday is a tandem parachute jump …)

4 Likes

How glorious… :hugs::hugs:

Duxford is an amazing place… went with family time after time, over the years… :smile:

1 Like

I think you’re probably right Paul. We used to have a Maxi. A tsunami on every bend.

I’m proud to say my nephew designed the American gallery at Duxford.

4 Likes

Wow… David… quite right to be proud !

I went there early 90’s, they had a BUFF (B52) sitting there having some work done on it, it was cordoned off, but I asked nicely and was given a full tour, including sitting in the pilots seat :sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

I investigated the Concorde that they had there, many years ago… not the passenger one, the original test one… it was fascinating stuff…

1 Like

Young Mr. H. after being strapped into the Spitfire and ready for takeoff. Happy boy! He couldn’t stop grinning for days!

7 Likes

Sandy,
can you send me the details of how to register for a flight, as would love to offer this to my Father for his Birthday he’s going to be 84 this year. I’d like to keep him grinning for a good few years.

1 Like

That video gets me every time! I couldnt affors a flight IN a Spitfire for my husbands 60th, but he had a flight WITH a Spitfire from Duxford. Took off and flew alongside the Spifire for around 30mins.
I really miss seeing Spitfires as we used to live near Lydd and Headcorn and in summer would see 1 or 2 Spitfires and a Hurricane almost every day.

2 Likes

Hi Warren, yes you can book here Fly A Spitfire There’s half hour and one hour flights available. Really hope that Mr. Joiner Snr. enjoys his experience!!