For Spitfire fans and other planes

Hi Sandy,
Many thanks, I’m sure Mr Joiner Snr. would love it. I think up coming birthday boy is going to really have a present he remembers. If any trouble occurs during the flight as long as Mr J has a parachute he should be OK, he’s an ex Para. :wink:

3 Likes

1977 posted to Jaguar aircraft at Coltishall (from Buccaneers) next door hanger was of course BBMF, roll on a few years posted to VAS Leeming and shared hanger with the Vintage Pair (Meteor and Vampire), sad day when they “went in “ good colleagues.

It was a Triumph Herald in wolf’s clothing.

That’s great David. I’ve visited Duxford many times, and Hendon. I’ve also stayed in Petwood Hotel in Woodhall Spa.

A local Spitfire, having a laugh as Basil Faulty said, “just done mention the war”.

an old video… but just be aware of where you’re standing when filming at an airfield… towards the end of the live runway is not a good idea :wink:

1 Like

In that clip, the presenter and pilot knew each other very well, and when asked to do a low pass over the crew on take-of decided to show then just how low he could go. De Cadenet was unharmed but he did need a new pair of trousers…

1 Like

hair-raising but quite extraordinary given the greater than 500ft rule which would have been known to the pilot and for which the CAA could have pulled his display licence…

1 Like

Not even the CAA would withdraw Ray Hanna’s licence :laughing:

1 Like

And a mighty fine job he did too.

3 Likes

OMG! Respect!

The husband of an old - 98+ dearly departed friend, Albert Ernest Devenish DFC aka John - of 161 (The Moon Squadron) flew SOE agents from Tempsford into occupied France in Lysanders. Respect.

2 Likes

I think that’s the Trumph I learned to drive in - it was blue - it had sticky up fins at the back - ace for reversing - happy days BTW passed 1st time although it was in Barry Gavin and Stacey Land which then had no traffic lights but lots of steep hills on my test had to drive up one hill - reverse - not roll - up into a side street hill - as for 3 point turns on a hill -

Just love the Lysander… wish I could have flown one…

2 Likes

My Uncle who was a mosquito pathfinder said this was the first operational A/C he flew and wasnt without its bitches, mainly caused through the high stance on the landing gear but was still an amzing ship to fly.

1 Like

Out of respect to him, but he did have more than a few black marks on his record with them. A friend of mine worked at the EASA for some years and once told me a large majority of the shiny arses dont even have flight experience. Some of them think when the engine starts its a dangerous thing.

1 Like

…and when it stops in flight, its no big deal :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

John Farley, a famous test pilot was once talking about the difference in attitude between an amateur and a professional pilot. In his view, “an amateur pilot is surprised if the engine stops, a professional is surprised if it keeps going.”

I’ve always tried to develop the latter attitude :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Where we used to live in mid West Wales, there were no traffic lights, no roundabouts and no multi lane roads for miles around. The OH passed her test there and when we moved to Yorkshire, it was a bit of an adventure for her :smile: