Foregoing diagnostic prior to purchase

of course this increases the cost of buying because it increases the costs of selling.

The two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
There is always a cost to buying but that isn’t necessarily raised/impacted by the cost to the seller per se and the eventual price paid can generally be negotiated.

3 Likes

Without wishing to be too literal, this definitely adds costs to the overall system of buying and selling as well as yet more pfaff so it will of course increase costs and pfaff overall. Plus it removes freedom from 2 individuala to make their own agreements which is what I most fundamentally object to.

a bit like “pistols at dawn” then Karen
 I’ll charge my pistol with shot if you agree not to do yours :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
It’s called « consumer protection » and exists to protect.
Not unlike Dirty Harry
 “was that 5 shots or was it six?” “well, d’ya feel lucky?”
It can go on
 car insurance removes the freedom from individuals to make a choice - that’s life!

1 Like

The purchaser is very well aware of all the faults and accepts that they will have the liability of rectifying them. Just trying to save the seller from unnecessary expense.

1 Like

My unease and annoyance at the so often anti-customer service attitude in public and private providers in France is only exceeded by my amazement at the really poor protection of consumer rights that seems to be available too.

Excessive cost and other excessive (and, it seems, often inefficient) administration type requirements put on things adults should be free to sort out between themselves is coming up fast as No.3.

You know perfectly well Graham that insurance for driving cars is not analogous and you’re just being naughty mentioning that as a parallel :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
1 Like

Im very surprises nobody has mentioned that the expert also checks for signs of termites as well as all of the above mentioned.
I just paid for my experts report its about 120 pages i think in total. Its to protect the purchaser obviously less complicated in a new house, mine is more than 200 yrs old and large, so took all day, and yes is very expensive charged on the size.
I shopped around for estimates and took the cheapest.

3 Likes

My sister bought a house on trust from what she thought was an honest couple. Two years later she discovered the brand new bathroom toilet was not connected to anything but an underfloor space
:scream:. A diagnostic that checked that she was properly connected to the main drains would have avoided that awful episode.

It is rare that people get surveys here, which can be hugely expensive and full of caveats. So the diagnostics are a sensible approach to look for the more evil problems of houses. You can live in a house quite happily until the day your are electrocuted by ancient under specified cables

You do seem to be quite negative about some aspects of France Karen, Are you sure you will be happy here?

4 Likes

I still think people should have the freedom to arrange between themselves if they wish.

I am trying not to find your last remark sarcastic but let’s just say (1) I believe in avoiding excessive regulation, inefficiency and costs in whatever country. Plus (2) this year is an absolute annus horribilus for me dealing with France admin of multiple types and I haven’t even had to deal with ANTS for driving licence yet. Unfortunately I am driven by efficiency. It’s a failing of mine.

The trouble with this of course is it’s entirely subjective. What’s excessive to one is essential to another.

3 Likes

Not sarcastic, just a trifle concerned
 getting stressed is not good for one.

Perhaps we are just laid back people, as these things just tend to make us shrug and sometimes sigh. OH has been trying to exchange his licence since 2018 for example, but it’s not bothering him over much - if at all. The amount of energy salmon expend swimming against the current is phenomenal

2 Likes

You will get it all sorted. We ended up getting help at a local PIMMS office as recommended by Jane Williamson. https://www.pimms.org/

They were invaluable as we were stuck between social security and Urssaf in a Kafkaesque situation.

But two years later all sorted. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

It’s a case of do as your told or go elsewhere I would have thought :slight_smile:

Diagnostics are I think more important here as almost no one has a survey (if they exist as the Brits know them) and I assume if you are mortgaging then the lender relies on the diagnostic Can’t remember when we bought here, I think they had a copy of the diagnostic report.

1 Like

Sorry, but the diagnostic is REQUIRED for any sale. Your notaire before completing/presenting the contractual agreement could ask you - the owner - to prove that you have created the diagnostic and you may have to present it to him. Whyzzat?
Because far too often some problems - large or small - might be hidden and a diagnostic done professionally would have identified them. Upon which, the buyer might renegotiate the price in order to compensate for the repair cost. Or, if the cost of repair is considerable, might want to retract their offer 

2 Likes

I agree with all that @LeRicain has said and would add

the notaire is effectively the keeper of the public purse in such transactions and it his duty to ensure that everything is done that needs to be done according to law.

2 Likes

Ouch. We seem to be heading towards the Iron Lady’s famous “there is no such thing as society” quote here.
Every state has to decide where to draw the line beyond which individual liberties have to give way to the interests of society as a whole. In my opinion France tends to draw the line earlier than the UK does. I would support that opinion with examples such as the restrictions on individuals using of garden machinery on Sundays, the tighter rules on contracts between employers and employees, between landlords and tenants, the obligatory insurances for tradesmen. Certain situations are tightly regulated in France to try and give greater protection and reduce the potential for abuse of the weaker/less savvy by the stronger/more streetwise party.
French admin really is a lot easier if you go with the flow rather than trying to swim against the current. You may not get there any faster, but you will feel a whole lot less stressed out and exhausted along the way.

5 Likes

Interesting you should mention restrictions on garden machinery on Sundays. I do wish my new neighbour opposite wouldn’t spend so many Sundays incl. some mornings with noisy strimmer and heavy mower right opposite. But had thought to just put up with it. For me it would be a very big step to say anything even though they do have one or two annoying habits generally.

When we came to France all sorts of things were just live and let live and wherever possible I try to live that way.

Had to draw breath though when our other new neighbours (late 50’s) stopped by last week and proudly said they weren’t vaccinated and were sure they would never catch it even though they go out a lot !!

Tx for the advice on going with the flow on admin You and @JaneJones greater experience :slight_smile:

Quite right!

I’ve lived in five countries of Europe, and the French one I find the most difficult. It is really quite badly run despite the fact that some very good regulations have been passed over the past five years that do protect users of public-services.

But, then, as mummy used to say, “Just grin and bear it 
”

1 Like