France - Cost of Living Expensive?

Sorry to but into your conversation.
Pleased that you enjoyed that meal so much.
Eating out is fun.

1 Like

OMG you’ve been banned from the US!:grinning:

How did you decide that Tim?

ps Tim off topic no frozen fries for a week you will have to peel
and cook them manually.

Ah but which version? Memory sizes differed etc! I much preferred the classic ZX81 :joy:

1 Like

I was listening to a radio programme yesterday about frozen chips. Nearly all the frozen chips used in Britain are imported into the country from the EU. Mainly from Holland and Belgium. The size of this trade is huge. This alone could be a huge Brexit opportunity. Britain has the capacity to grow enough potatoes. By moving the supply chain to Eastern England the balance of payments cost of the imports could be written off and thousands of jobs created in farming and production. In theory it’s a no brainier but it will be interesting to see what actually happens. There is plenty of land available to grow the crop but harvesting is both labour intensive and physically demanding. Will there be enough local labour to do the work, not forgetting of course the fact that this sector is already feeling the pinch as its Eastern European workforce dries up. Jobs in the chip factories should be more popular but will they end up owned by British companies or will the European giants move in and take advantage of the relaxed labour laws and lower wages and resulting in the profits move out of Britain? Interesting times.

1 Like

LOL - no more so than in France - the biggest McDonalds market on the planet after the USA!

1 Like

Yes that is interesting.
As long as the work force is there for harvesting.
We have touched this topic before and there are doubts if the British
people will do this work.
Hopefully the right potatoes will be be growing.
Binjies are great for chips.

Yes.
Are the French still gastronomicly inclined?
Diversion…

No Simon, by number of outlets it is 6th and if going just by number of outlets per capita it is not even in the top 10 :grin:

Hi vero - I was referring to market size / turnover / sales - not number of outlets.

How come you are anti McD but pro Starbucks?

Who…?

You, Simon.

Hi Folks…

Seems that the link saying to whom you are replying… is not always showing on the page itself…

Might be a good idea to start any reply with: @name (then choose the name) and then the link is clear.

Here endeth the Lesson for Today… :hugs:

1 Like

that is me…probably.

There you go again - who said I didn’t like McDonalds? Nothing against them at all - and now they’ve started doing huge Latte’s around here I visit more frequently: :-:coffee::coffee::coffee:

1 Like

Strangely that’s what I thought about when you were having your anti coffee in France rant a while ago, if I wanted a choice I’d go to McDonalds.

@barbara_deane1

No, Barbara… it was not necessarily you… it’s been happening to me and to many other folk…

But I think I’ll just leave them to it… the sun is shining and the laundry just might dry outside today… :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

yes the sun is really shining.