France just made every single one of its citizens an organ donor

This thread is about organ donation…not about racism… or who hates who… … could we just keep it simple, please…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s a bit silly saying there is no choice because, the choice is exactly the same as it was before, you either want your organs to be used or you don’t. There has to be a “default” setting because otherwise, you would have some “yesses” and some “nos”, and a great chunk of people who haven’t told you one way or another and if there is no default, what the heck do you do with them. And since, I would imagine, by far the greater proportion of people are willing to be donors, it makes sense to have that as the default. Saves time and effort all round, plus folks are going to be more motivated to opt out if that’s what they want to do, than to opt in, because obviously they feel strongly about it because unless you feel strongly you wouldn’t opt out. I don’t suppose anyone feels exactly enthusiastic about the idea of having their innards recycled, it’s more of an “OK I don’t mind” than an “I absolutely insist on being cut up and redistributed, I can’t bear the thought of not being, so I’m going to fill that form in right away”.

I have lived in 5 countries and found xenophobic people everywhere. I would not tie organ donor issues to that.

1 Like

I too dread the thought of being cut up, and you are right about the “OK I don’t mind”, To tell you the truth I poo my pants thinking about it! I carry my donor card because someone out there is carrying one that might (god forbid) help me or my nearest and dearest. With all of my fears of being cut up in tact I still think that it would be a dreadful waste not to donate.

1 Like