France ponders phasing out 1c and 2c coins

I would be happy to see them go. If my change is a 1c or 2c coin I tell the shop assistant to keep it. Don’t want them in my purse. I have a jar full of them.

1 Like

I shopped in Holland at least once a week when the phased them out, it really was no problem, the tills just rounded the total to the nearest 5 cents. I can also remember collecting half pence pieces for charity when they were phased out as well.

1 Like

I remember that as well. Just checked the date, 1984 they were abolished.

Was in our local supermarket last Saturday and a man was paying for €18 worth of beer with one and two cent coins, after about 15 minutes waiting, there was only 2 check outs open, somebody shouted can’t you find somebody that works in this shop that can count, it was chaos with the man saying to the audience, have you tried getting rid of these things!!!

1 Like

Part of the controversy revolves around the inevitable price-hikes that will follow the removal of the 1c & 2c coins.

Rounding-up from 99c to 1 € is hardly noticeable… but the other rounding-ups… eg: 2c to 5c and 6c to 10c … those hikes will be felt in the overall shopping…etc etc…

2 Likes

I keep my 1c coins for the fuel station, it’s always xx€ and 01c ffs. Sure the caisse has a 1c button :sob::sob:

1 Like

It might well be that shops round down from 99c to 95c - the purpose of the 99c price is a) to force the cashier to have to give change (less incentive to simply pocket the money) and b) to keep the price psychologically below 1€

:laughing::laughing::laughing::wink::wink::wink: Oh Paul… I’m looking in vain for the “pigs might fly” emoji … :rofl::joy::grin:

1 Like

There was a telegraph article around the time that the Irish phased out 1 & 2c coins which suggested that retailers had, indeed, chosen to round down when low denomination coins were scrapped in New Zealand and Australia in the 1990’s

<sorry piccy removed as I reaslised it was copyright, can’t find a good free one for the moment>

1 Like

Hope this works Stella :wink:
pig

2 Likes

Mmm… putting second-class up from 80c to 88c … when plans are afoot to remove 1c and 2c coins … :thinking:

I think it’s a bad idea to phase out the small coins as it will create a tendency in the future for the minimum price increase of an item to become 5 cents rather than 1.