Free Legal Advice -Some Info on how to get it 2019

Here’s an update from Droit-Finance

I would add to that post that if anyone is seeking advice on how to protect or enforce their property rights relating to their ideas, creativity, inventions, designs, etc, the Compagnie National des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (CNCPI) organises regular “pro bono” (free) counselling one-on-one sessions with the French Industrial Property Office (INPI) in each region. The sessions are organised approximately once a month, sometimes more in the larger cities, and are attended by a registered intellectual property attorney. Each appointment lasts approximately between 25 and 45 minutes, depending on the number of people who have signed up to that session and the geographical area. For example, if you attend one of the sessions in a large city, such as Paris, Lyon or Bordeaux, then due to the number of people that tend to sign up to the session, the meeting will probably only last about 20-25 mins. In less densely populated areas, meetings are generally 45 mins in length. The meetings are not designed to provide the attendee with a turnkey solution, so no actual work product will be provided by the attorney, but to obtain general advice on the particular question(s) at issue. From the attorney’s point of view, the meetings are “anonymous” to the extent that the attorneys are present under the auspices as a representative of the CNCPI and not as the sales rep for their business. In other words, they are not allowed to try and sell you their services. They are allowed to point you to a directory of attorneys in your local area or provide you with an extract of the local register (if they have one). Please note that the attorneys in question are not there to tell you whether your idea is a good business opportunity or to help you get your business off the ground, they are not business development experts (even though some may have experience in this field).

Forgot to mention that to find out when and where the next session is taking place, you need to contact either your local Chamber of Commerce or, the INPI if the city you live in or near is large enough to have its own delegation.

1 Like

Anyone else with useful information… feel free to add the links…

Quite right Stella, my bad for spewing a text only response :wink:

Not at all… Alex… very grateful for your input. Your link is the cherry on the cake.

I’ve noticed that we seem to get enquiries about all sorts of legal stuff … and I thought perhaps a fairly comprehensive thread might be useful.