Free lunch

A quicky:

Very much looking foeward to picking up the debate, when Neil returns in the new year. ( I have my notes prep'd )

I would like to just clarify one point on the 'free' offer, however. It could well be couched marketing, a subversive threat to undermine the Global economy, pure Altruism...but it does stem from one very basic point. I am not trading.

I haven' t for 1O years. So the bits I do, for whom soever are free. I am starting a business in January 2012 but as a publisher.

Hope that clarifies

Just a call to all, quite happy to banter along with any side threads, and I'm never afraid to be shot down, cos you can always get up again.

But if anyone does stumble across any new development, or innovation, free other wise share it here , we are all in the same boat.

Cool YOOL Dudes

Hi Neil,

are you back in the UK? I have some notes prepared! I'll hold off until your return, have a great time, see you in 2012

Ron

Happy Christmas to you and yours Ronald, will resume the discussion in the New Year!

I was hoping that these pages would be a Bulletin board, of referrals to links. I suppose there always is the risk that users either know of, or disagree with the concept of try before you buy. My stand point was that there are many Free to use, no strings attached elements available on the www. I find myself copying relative links to associates whilst on Skype of FaceBook, like an instant referral. Passing on the non important has little purpose, but I saw this as the digital version of 'Hey Don't go to TireMart, Monsieur Picasso down the road does an excellent job for half the price'.

I'm not sure if this will run as thread or if it will stay up for too long, but I would revisit myself if we can build a library of handy links.

I subscribe to many such showcase sites and I did make a purchase recently. It was a 500-700? dollar package for 55 US dollars. It comprised 4apps. One was a tool to convert Mono pics to colour, how that works I've no idea.

But it is fun to use, a simple on screen mouse over and click app. Call up a pic, change any colour background, guys shirt or whatever, in an instant, an absolute hoot, real con-tone too, not just a tint overlay. The second was a security tool, which masks your IP address for every app you open. Some other thing, can't remember what, but the most exciting was the following.

If I can describe it. A website/blog/Wordpress/etc.template builder. So you can create your own template.I have only spent a little time with it. But I was astounded.

So you can create any page any size, drag in your elements, pics, logos etc. Therefore truly customisable to your spec. No not a template lookalike.

But here is the amazing bit, what you play with is WISIWIG. Click a button, and you get the machine code. Plus a wad of pre established windows in code, where you can drag in anything you want, XHTML5 is it CSS3? Form builders, Drop downs, scrollers et etc. Click back you are back to WISIWIG and everything is functioning live and in real time.

Unless I am mistaken, and I'm no programmer. You have a fully functioning, customisable Site builder, with all the code snippets that are available. I retails at 399.00 USD I think, the deal and licence I purchased was 28 dollars. It's out of Beta and is billed as the Dreamweaver KiIler.

Why would they give away a tool like this at such a knock down price? PR...The development costs are dealt with, the dispatch cost nowt, it's a download, no packaging, shipping etc. The users will Tweet and LIKE and tell their mates. Not unlike the guy in the market who offers you a chunk of stinky blue veined cheese on a knife. 'Hmm' you say 'C'est trés bon,gisa slab.

I do believe I'm right but would be happy to be corrected. I think it means that with no coding knowledge at all, you can design and use, an also sell your own templates. I was in the web game from the outset, we employed many designers and programmers, I spoke an ex employee the other week, who's current firm does the lot, Ruby, Drupal, Joomla, SEO etc etc. He said he hardly codes anything at all now. Sorry if the description was a bit woolly, but it's 3 am. I'm off to ma bed.

Merry Crimble all.

@Janet Langman Hi Janet I have found the link to Aviary

When I first downloaded it it was totally free, the splash page now reads 'try Aviary'

aviary

So its status may have changed. You mentioned that you get on well with Gimp, that's great, I have a little trouble myself, but am a poor learner. If you find time have a look at Aviary and find your way to the Gallery, and tutorials. Personally I was most impressed with some of the Artist's work, outstanding. Worth a look if nothing else.

@Tracy,

Hi,

I have friends who had a lovely property in Dijon for Some 20 years, the region is truly beautiful.

I wish you well in your venture. I'm sure you will make it a great success. I can't see much happening over the break and my wife has issued a ban on computer use. arrrrrgh! I just hope the Santa costume still fits.

I will message you in due course, but I would take the opportunity to wish you a Happy Christmas and let's say prosperous New Year.

Kind regards

Ron Birks

Hi Neil,

You raise some valid points, and personally I'd love to discuss the finer points in the new year with you. However, the Yule is upon us, a time for family, fun and festivities. So I'll like to wish you a happy break, and speak with you again in 2011.

Have a good one

Ron

You have to ask why is it free? Everyone has to earn a living to live, to at least buy the basics let alone a house in France. As a professional graphic designer with 45 years experience, who do you think will come up with a logo that will be relevant and fulfil your business requirements, me or someone who will spend five minutes designing one over a cup of tea? If you have a skill that has a value why give it away? There is some good free stuff around as regards blogger templates but by using one, you join the several million other people who have downloaded it as well. Any good designer must want to earn money from his/her skill unless they have a very nice pension or have won the lottery. I work with my clients to understand their business and help them to market it in an effectve and original way. If someone is just starting a business I can offer a menu of services and a phased payment system or occasionally a bit of bartering. People have to purchase a lot of things to set up a business and are quite happy to pay for the computer, maybe office space, etc. but why should they get for free what is the most important part of it i.e. getting their message across to prospective purchasers?

Why are we offered all this stuff for free on the web? The only thing I can think of, is that the site gets access to your personal information and can therefore sell this to their advertisers who can then track what you are interested in and what you buy. In the end, someone has to pay!

@ Simon, I have seen your site very nice. I will be in touch once the decks are clear...God who'd run a Mobile disco anyway?

Hi Tracy, sorry I've been finishing something for 'the special one'

Yes, love to help you out. I'll be back

Ron

yo, not free but 500 bucks worth for 50 Flip books

Please may I be your second 'offer taker upper'. I have been running my AE part time and I'm going to quit my CDI and go for it full time in April. I have absolutely no artistic leanings whatsoever and would love a logo free of charge. My website is www.burgundybyrequest.com and I have Skype: burgundybyrequest (although I'm not there at the moment, I'm skiving at work)

Thank you.

I have skype too

yes will be v exciting to have a logo

www.openingspace.co.uk

Hi Simon,

sorry I was in the bloggersphere. Wow! you are my first 'offer taker upper'. I will do you the best LOGO in the world ( probably ) What's it for? Just post a brief, perhaps a link to where it's going, a link to some styles you like. We can always chat? I'll phone you FREE of course. ( hope you are not on a Cell phone? ) ( Have you de Skype? ) Might be nice to monitor progress during the process, if that's ok with you.

laters

Ron

a free logo! Yes Please.

PS if any one really has NO budget at all, or wants to conserve all important cash. I am still offering a FREE logo to SFN Members business or otherwise up to Dec 31st this year. Only if you like my style, of course, but no strings! I just love doing it!

OUTsourcing

this does make me cringe a little, but if you are on a tight budget and want to get 100 indian or Polish designers ( or any out of country designer ) on the case DESIGN CROWD or any number of outfits offer a cheap logo, web site, design service. You only pay for the design you like. And most offerings are brilliant, some are rubbish!

I do enter comps myself, and it has become a great outlet for many talented guys out there, it has however somewhat sullied the discipline, in my view.

Google Design Outsourcing

Just to add a little meat to the bones, I guess most of you business guys out there will be totally aux fait with what's out there, not trying to preach, merely share.

But for any sceptics who are weary of falling into any traps I personally feel that the FREEBIE genre is more prevalent than before. Yes oft a spratt to catch a Makerel, but also a showcase for talented designers programmers etc. I assume also that certain web hosts such as WIX can give away templates as ultimatley they want you to upgrade with your own url and pay a hosting charge.

I would suggest a WIX type site if you are starting off, you can get one functioning in minutes, and view it as an online brochure whilst to hand out your FREE Vistaprint business cards.