Free to air channels gone

So happy that I don’t have to use satellite TV!!! :slight_smile:

As you say hardly any loss and it looks like you are getting other channels from 2G - the UK spot footprint for 2E & 2G is slightly different so in more southern locations there might be noticable differences in signal strength between the two.

Ha, yes, well no-one does. But if it “just works” which I’m sure it does for many, even in the south of France I can’t see what is wrong with it. I mentioned alternatives a few posts ago.

Mind you we have French terrestrial, Orange IPTV, Freesat and a (DIY) VPN for iPlayer etc and I rarely watch any of it because it’s all carp[sic]. I think it’s an age thing :slight_smile:

If you can`t get any reception then some of the computer sites for UK tv are good if there is something you really want to see. www.filmon.com is good - there are others.

Jane, we live an hour or so from you in the north Vaucluse near Vaison La Romaine. We have the bigger dish - but not unsightly and we get a perfect signal. C4 and 5 and everything. We also have a second lnb (?) pointing at the french sat - so we can watch free french tv too. both are working perfectly as normal… seems to me something has happened to your feed. there’s no problem or change with the satellite from where we are x teresa

I’m about 30-35km to the west of you. We use a 110cm dish and have perfect reception except on a couple of HD channels. Maybe that (bigger dish), and a set-up, is the answer.

GOOD news !! After finally getting the Orange french tv working…boring…apart from the films where you can change the language, well, I thought I’d have one final crack at it, so…did a blind scan this morning and hey ho they are ALL back…all on satellite 2ABD !! Amazing…one happy little bunny lol

Oh I do love reading the explanations about loss of satellite. A few years ago the footprint of the Astra satellites was changed when the new satellites were commissioned.This was done to improve reception in the north of the UK and increase signal strength aross the UK. The result was many people in southern france spain etc lost their pictures. This can be seen by looking at the Satellite Footprints. Very roughly this means South of Limoges there may well be problems. Now All antennas have something called side lobes (the fingers refered to in the previous notes) Satellite antennas are no different. These are imperfections in the dish which mean energy is beamed our like a narrow torch beam. Antenna designers do everything they can to reduce them but they are there. Satellites live in a box of about 180 sq miles in space and slowly drift out of these boxes due to gravity forces . about every six months they are corrected this is why in fringe satellite areas you find signals come and go.You can also find perfect reception in one area and a few K down the road poor reception… There are many other factors such as carrier to noise being poorer from a side lobe. A bigger dish may inprove things but possibly only for a month or so. Overall the weather does not really effect Satellite reception in the official coverage area although SKY only guarantee reception for 99% of the time. If you are at the fringe then Rain clouds will have a marked effect The density of the atmosphere is the greatest problem as it attenuates the signal.
I have been working with Satellite for almost fourty years now. both in the domestic and commercial world although now it is mainly data satellites such as TOOWAY and large distribution systems throughout europe.with dish sizes anywhere from 40cm to 4 meters and just love some of the explanations given for poor reception

Sounding ever so slightly smug @Michael_toms

Thankfully unreliable satellite systems are on the way out! I’ve been using brilliant IPTV systems since the ‘footprint’ changes. I guess that’s the way forward as internet access and speeds gradually improve - no need for those ridiculous dishes.

Check out http://www.tvaway.co