French card in Italy

I’ll be travelling in Italy in just over a week. I’m assuming that I will be able to use my CA Normandie bank card without any problems but does anyone know if there is anything that I should look out for.

Don’t buy fuel on the autostrada, friend of mine just come back, paid 2€/litre!!!

1 Like

Ouch!

Fortunately, not taking the car (might rent for a day)

Just take this number with you…

Pour tout problème lié à votre carte en France ou à l’étranger, le service SOS CARTE du Crédit Agricole est disponible au (+33) 9 69 39 92 91(4), 24h24/, 7j/7.

1 Like

You may like to check out your weekly / monthly overseas cash withdrawal and spending limits.

3 Likes

Having seen a video on how easily cards can be cloned… it might also be a good idea to ensure that there is only a certain amount of cash in the account. Obviously enough for your needs… but not unnecessarily so… if you get my drift. :thinking:

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for some good advice

As Simon notes there is a monthly limit on the card which is plenty for the trip but which would provide some protection in case of loss, one thing I do need to check is the liability limit - not sure if is the same as in the UK (I’m assuming not).

I was also thinking of whether there is any difficulty using a French card in an ATM, any friction to be expected if paying with a French card in Italian restaurants or shops - that sort of thing.

I’ve used our CA Debit Card… in Spain and Portugal… no problems whatsoever in shops/restaurants etc etc…

Can’t remember if we used ATM’s though… someone will know…

1 Like

On another tack, but within the limits of the Thread…

First visit to France…I did try to use my UK Bank Card to get money out of an indoor “ATM”. I had awful trouble… couldn’t figure it out, until someone put me out of my misery and explained that that particular machine was for account-holders only to consult their financial details etc… and no, they were not a Bank… and the ATM I was seeking was down the road… ooops :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::unamused::open_mouth:

2 Likes

One thing I have noticed in France is that 24/7 petrol stations do not like UK cards.

1 Like

No problem at petrol stations in Spain and Portugal… French Cards are OK… relax and enjoy…:relaxed: you are in a Euro area in Italy…

2 Likes

Maybe take some euros in cash too…just to save on potential embarrassment…??? My son several years ago on running out of euros on his 21st birthday celebration in magaluf was able to withdraw euros with his uk bank card…Early on I experienced the hassle of my uk bank card not being accepted at a 24 hour petrol station…My French bank card has never been declined…If I’m on an airport run now I always make sure I have an amount of euros in cash even though I also know I have more than enough fuel to complete the journey…in-joy your trip…x :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We go over to Italy quite a bit as it’s just up the road from us - well 2 hours - and we’ve not ever had a problem using our cards.

1 Like

I’ve got the answer… you can really relax, you stay here… and I’ll go to Italy for you… and use my CA Bank Card… :relaxed:

2 Likes

I’ve used my French card all over Europe for the past 20 years. It’s always been fine. I stayed with friends overlooking Lake Maggiore not too long ago and it was accepted everywhere.

1 Like