French (cultural) shocks: my top 3 (4)

Yep, read it with great hilarity!!

And I have to confess I adore some of my Dutch food heritage!! Gouda cheese, proper mayonaise, hagelslag to name but a few :)

You’re not far from us Dan & we now have a card in my purse & his wallet telling anyone wh finds us that we live in a remote area & if we’re not breathing & she’s not with us we’ve left a little dog at home. I’m genuinely terrified by some driving. Yesterday morning we drove in frost and fog & it made no apparent difference. Apart from everything else, you take the risk of driving into a deer or sanglier. Dash cam sounds like a good idea.

Villeréal in the Gironde or Villeréal in the Lot et Garonne ?

Expecting the unexpected has to be the norm when driving on French roads. I'm amazed there aren't even more accidents..

I bought one of these dash cameras from Amazon.Fr (currently out of stock but there are others) around a year ago because I was (and still am!) so fed up with the crap driving around me.

E-Prance Dashcamera

I can't recommend it highly enough - simple to use and the video it takes is amazing quality for such a small device. I use it on every journey no matter how short. Luckily (and touch wood) we haven't had a prang ourselves but....I've given copies of the video to 3 different victims of road thickos - one of them even offered to pay me! Caught on camera.....

Aaargh! This one is everywhere though. London scores tops with me for this. Why do cars approaching with still enough distance to slow slightly when someone is pulling out suddenly accelerate and overtake them, often causing the driver pulling out to break sharply so that in the time he or she starts the manoeuvre again a long fleet of vehicles tends to suddenly appear out of nowhere? They then pass rather than giving way, often apparently making the waiting person angry which, I believe, does not tend to improve their driving. Am I some kind of loony because I slow down to let them out, stop for a few seconds if necessary or is the rest of traffic genuinely in a hurry? Given that everybody is usually late for everything, I don't buy that one.

:-) because I love being naughty I always edge forward at roundabouts as if to pull out when non-indicating cars are approaching.....love it!

It's a well known fact indicators are an 'optional extra' on cars sold in France.

I was going to mention that one Brian. Never take anything for granted. Recently we’ve seen one car approach a bend do fast he went sailing into a field. Had it been a wall or tree he would have been killed. Also the Poste van that shot onto the roundabout & missed us by a whisper. Which brings me onto the fact that they often smoke even though surrounded by paper & other inflammables. On the plus side our postman is lovely & will take letters I want posting back to the depot for me.

Totally with you on that one Miriam. However, I once witnessed a collision when somebody shot out and was hit by an oncoming car, that should have been in the central lane anyway as it transpired. The driver immediately behind told the cops that the person who pulled out had not indicated. That got a shrug and witness told that it is only a courtesy but not the law. I couldn't believe that so went delving into road laws. Sure enough there is no law that actually obliges anybody to signal! I was totally gobsmacked.

Then, on the other extreme there are the clowns who drive umpteen kilometres with an indicator flashing. Can't they hear the tick-tock or see the internal indicator light flashing? I would have expected that to come under what is called 'driving without due care or attention' in England and Wales. Nope! Those people often seem impervious to people flashing them as well. I suspect they go into a state of being brain dead when they step into a car :-(

Yes, that’s for sure. It was a bit of a shock to start with but now if we see a winking light we just say ‘wayhey, Brits ahead!’

oh I think I've sussed that one now. Brake first, turn the corner then indicate.

It's confirmation to the driver that yes I did want to go here, rather then letting other drivers know "I think I may want to go this way now" kind of thing.

Keeps it edgy I guess :)

Occasionally using the indicator would be a helpful start…

Roundabouts, why do drivers charge at them and brake at the very very last minute when you are on the roundabout? Older drivers seem to ignore their existence altogether.

Having to be extremely precise asking a question, if not you will get a blank response often because you didn't ask in the way the listener expected to hear it?

Overtaking on bends, hills, blind spots generally just to be in front of you and go no faster? What's that all about??

Vero, Je comprend pas 100%! Just 99.9% :slight_smile:
Yes i still live it…

Love it Véronique - but then I guess you already know what I am :-)!

HAHAHAHA!! I love it & am not saying where I come from!

Having looked at the buzz feed link - which made me titter! I ABSOLUTELY intend NO OFFENCE to the Irish or French here but…

if all the Frenchmen went to southern Eire on holiday, they would have a great time - it’s full of bogs :slight_smile:

As to other parts of the U.K. Cant say I disagree with the picture!

Now that's really funny Veronique! Thank you, made my day. Just love Grande Normandie!

You might like this: http://www.konbini.com/fr/inspiration-2/en-image-france-vue-parisiens/

Talking about offensive...have you seen this?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/the-definitive-stereotype-map-of-britain-and-ireland?utm_term=.upRpEwLV9#.prz4beR8V