French farmers launch blockade of oil refineries and fuel depots

Jane - it isn’t that I dispute the point and I agree with all of your comments.

But you have to admit that the early summer French Farmer’s Protest is becoming a bit of a tradition :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think they will need to be a bit more creative than just dump soil outside oil refineries. I agree with what they are protesting about but I wonder how many people will get the point and whether it will have any effect.

1 Like

It is a bit like crying wolf, but , unfortunately, they have something to really complain about this time.
The French habit of striking first and asking questions afterwards is not one that appeals to me.
I wonder if the UK farmers will take notice if TM tries to shaft them in the Brexit deals?
My UK MP is the Shadow Agriculture Minister and we have quite a few e-mails on subjects to do with Brexit.

I thought it was to do with high fuel prices…???

They have certainly taken a ‘Hike’ round here this week :unamused:

Thanks Bill…the garage man bought the Renault to me tonight to show me the car…how it works and for a test drive…It will be the newest poshest car I have ever owned…He’s taken delivery of 8 brand new cars this week…transporting them has been a headache for him and yet he still found time tonight for me too…I found it really strange to be driving a left hand drive car and my immediate impulse was to reach into the door panel to change gears…and when a car approached the other way I just stopped to let it go by…lol…We’re starting the paperwork tomorrow but I don’t think it will be ready in time to pick my son up from Dinard next week…He’s also going to assist me with “breaking” my Volvo but “Après”…that’s a whole other mountain of paperwork…I think he’s an absolute star…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great Helen, you will soon get the hang of the Lhd, sent you a post on another thread, just ignore it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve only driven LHD in rental vehicles - must admit I found co-ordinating gear changes (especially when also trying to follow a sat-nav) the hardest bit.

I also found my road position off badly for some reason so I had to constantly check that I wasn’t driving too close to the kerb.

1 Like

It’s no use… I have tried… but… I cannot make the mental/physical change… so I stick to RHD (if and when) and thus end-up safely beside the ditch/fosse… phew :relaxed::roll_eyes:

1 Like

I would not like drivind rhd here, disconcerting to have no idea what is approaching, only ever owned lhd cars when resident in Europe, I am suprised they can still be imported.

We are all different… and 20 years down the line… I am just fine with RHD…

If I cannot see what is approaching, I stay in my lane… :relaxed:

(At first, OH had a gizmo fitted, which showed what was approaching, but haven’t needed to use it for years and I’ve no idea where it is now…)

1 Like

Gizmo, eyes on stalks? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:joy: A double mirror set-up as I recall, fits on the LHS of the screen. Easily put in place and removed when not needed… (eg when back in UK). :relaxed:

(It works a little bit like the trench-periscopes of yester year… :open_mouth: )

Dear me :thinking:

Or you can spend a little more and have a camera fitted, which runs with the sat-nav (or so I’m told) :zipper_mouth_face:

Much simpler, and imo, safer, to have the wheel on the correct side though :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve had both a LHD car and a RHD car for over 12 years and have no problems switching from one to the other. The only thing that confuses me now and again is the position of the window switch, it’s on the door in one car and in the centre in the other. One has five gears and the other six and that never confuses me either. You just get used to driving on the other side and it becomes natural. I would prefer that both the cars were LHD but more because LHD cars blend in rather than for road safety reasons. Overtaking on arrow straight roads is an issue with RHD cars but as long as you don’t tailgate the vehicle you want to overtake it’s never a problem. My car accelerates very fast so standing back from the car in front works well. On roads with bends there is much less difference. Sometimes the RHD car actually gives me better visibility at road junctions but other times it leaves me blind. I will never import a car from the UK in the future to save a few quid, all my future cars will be LHD. .

2 Likes

I do find it ‘weird’, anyone can claim, having the wheel on the wrong side, is not a road safety issue :thinking:

Bill, as I’ve pointed out, in my experience it is not. You are welcome to your opinion. Luckily my insurance company agrees with me.

1 Like

Hey Ho :wink: