French farmers launch blockade of oil refineries and fuel depots

We need to disagree amicably Dave :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Madam is French Jane, She doesnā€™t drive in the middle of the road, that would make me quite ā€˜twitchyā€™, RHD cars far over to the left, trying to see ahead do make me nervy :roll_eyes:

Btw, the main reason peaple drive rhd cars, is because they are ā€˜Cheapā€™, :slightly_smiling_face:

If you can explain how you know that they are dangerous perhaps I will be given food for thought. As it is you who drives a LHD vehicle make the unsubstantiated claim that driving a RHD vehicle in France is dangerous and should be banned. Others who drive RHD vehicles have explained why they feel safer doing so and I, who dive both a RHD car and a LHD car have commented that in the past 12 years, the time that Iā€™ve had the two cars I see advantages and disadvantages of both but neither could be considered dangerous. Just because you have chosen to drive a LHD car doesnā€™t make others wrong. They have made a perfectly safe decision within National and European laws.
If I was to base safety on the position of the steering wheel I would say that absolutely, 100% LHD is far less safe than RHD. I also drive a LHD car that is far less safe than any RHD car Iā€™ve driven in Europe. In fact the position of the steering wheel is irrelevant, it comes from an era when brakes, steering and tyres were a lot less efficient than in a modern car and seat belts, air bags and crumple zones had not even been thought of. Even so it is less safe than my other cars not dangerous. If it was dangerous the law, my insurance company and me, the driver, would not let it anywhere near the public roads.

1 Like

Not my reason Bill. My RHD car wasnā€™t cheap to buy and certainly isnā€™t cheap to run.

1 Like

Seeing any vehicle coming towards me in the middle of the roadā€¦ or anywhere it should NOT beā€¦ that is definitely ā€œtwitch-makingā€ (or worse) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Oh Billā€¦ my Paris friends are not ā€œpoorā€ (although they are not rich, either) ā€¦ and the RHD old cars they drive are not bangersā€¦ they are cherished and lovingly-restored old British carsā€¦ some of which may have been cheap originallyā€¦ :relaxed:

2 Likes

Ok, canā€™t be bothered anymore, on ye go Folks, merrily, blindly on your way :slightly_smiling_face:

There is always the exception to prove the rule Bill.

Ok :slightly_smiling_face:

Canā€™t be bothered? Youā€™ve offered nothing but your opinion. As Iā€™ve said before you are entitled to that but you also have to accept the opinion of others. You have failed to offer any evidence that your opinion is based on fact or experience.

Re experience, yes I have driven rhd cars, here and in Spain and Portugal, motor bikes too.
ā€œThe factsā€ are pretty obvious, to those who ā€˜want to seeā€™.
I do not ā€œHave toā€ accept anyones opinion Dave :slightly_smiling_face: though;
I can and do, accept, that other people have their opinions, thatā€™s a much different thing! :slightly_smiling_face:

Was that a RHD or LHD motorbike Will? Was it dangerous in your opinion or only in the opinion of other people?

1 Like

With deference to Billā€™s wife Iā€™m afraid I would tend to agree with Jane - on the narrower lanes, even though there is room to occupy only the right half of the road, the French do seem to prefer the middle.

1 Like

Donā€™t be silly Davey, LHD of course :rofl:

Must be a different breed of Breton in St GravĆ© Paul :wink:, Bā€™ is however, originally, Parisien.

Now then Billyā€¦ :wink:

Wots up Stell? :wink:

Second hand cars are probably ā€œcheaperā€ in uk as thereā€™s loads of themā€¦many bought new as company cars that lose value as soon as theyā€™re on the road and then exchanged after a year or twoā€¦It seems that a car is kept for much longer in Franceā€¦

I seriously considered buying another from U.K. and getting maybe my son to drive it over here and then fly backā€¦Iā€™m comfortable like many here driving an RHD and it feels as natural as breathingā€¦but my partner thinks itā€™s time to bite the bullet and get a LHD considering the cost we had of importing the Volvoā€¦and my mom stepped in to help with either importing again or buying a LHD hereā€¦

Iā€™m hoping I get the Renault while my son is hereā€¦it would be another pair of eyes on the road whilst I make the transitionā€¦Heā€™s an HGV driver in UK and he drives my Volvo when he visits probably better than I doā€¦

Iā€™m definitely feeling ā€œtwitchyā€ about making the decision and transition to LHDā€¦My albeit brief test drive was distinctly uncomfortableā€¦even to the point of which shoulder to look overā€¦I felt really uncoordinatedā€¦

For better or worse the deal is done and I envision lots of practicing on quiet roads and looking for even bigger parking spacesā€¦Iā€™ve never been great with reversing into a tight parking spot and even if it meant driving around the block a few times until a huge parking spot became available then thatā€™s what I doā€¦for a while at least I guess Iā€™ll be looking out for GINORMOUS parking spots til I work out which shoulderā€¦yes I know cars have mirrors for that very reasonā€¦but Iā€™ve always felt more comfortable judging a situation with my own eyes rather than mirrorsā€¦

When I went to fill my Volvo up with petrol maybe for the last time (sob) I was trying to imagine driving the Renaultā€¦and viewing the road from a LHD perspectiveā€¦I ended up thinking about how I failed my first driving test due to a problem I have always had with distinguishing left and rightā€¦not to mention the myriad of bad habits I had picked up whilst driving my very first carā€¦a miniā€¦for a year with no licenceā€¦on my second test I wrote R on my right hand and L on my left hand and had to borrow my dadā€™s car for the test as the clutch on my mini (called Harriet) failed the day beforeā€¦

Definitely twitchingā€¦decidedly nervous but the deal is doneā€¦I totally understand everyone who prefers a RHDā€¦x :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You will be fine and pleased you made the change in a couple of days, I have always had the LR problem too, put it down to being left handed, attributed my ā€˜rottenā€™ handwriting to the same problem.

1 Like