French Local Elections - any news

And people can put other people on the list even if they aren’t standing at all - I have had votes without being a candidate (so have Mickey Mouse, whichever footballer is popular at the moment, etc)

1 Like

Oh yes, I’d forgotten that… one election someone was written-in without their knowledge… thankfully that person only got a few votes… :roll_eyes:

perhaps a stupid question, but new to voting in France.
We only had one list, 11 candidates. All got elected by 70%
of eligible voters.
Is there a need to vote again/confirmation on the 22nd - or was that it?

If the results announced last night… said that 11 people WERE elected… for 11 seats … then there is no need for next Sunday… :hugs:

but we have to wait and see… there is a vague possibility that yesterday’s elections might be called “null and void”… aaaaargh…

Thank you Stella, guess we will get another invite to vote if this election is null and void.
We live in interesting times…

We should learn more about it tonight… if you have TV you can listen/watch Macron around 8pm I think…

We got 12 out of 15 seats and are quite happy to accept that as IT… if necessary… rather than risk the “bad guys” getting another shot at being elected… :roll_eyes:

Our former mayor has retired and we had two lists this time. The first was an oldies list led by the former 2nd adjoint. The second was a youth & experienced list composed of half the fête committee plus several of the former conseillers, and voting (79,8% turnout) was around 4:1 in their favour. Youth definitely won the day.

Were they actually declared “elected”… or simply able to pass to the 2nd round???

The 11 people on our ‘youth’ list were all elected on the first round, thankfully.

1 Like

that is good news.

There has been some misunderstanding locally. I remarked to one young voter that the nearest town had failed to elect anyone… I was told, firmly, that the 1st List there had prevailed… when I rechecked… it was merely that the 1st List had gained enough votes to be able to advance to the 2nd Vote… but NO-ONE on any List had actually gained enough votes to be elected on the night itself… :roll_eyes:

I looked it up : "Au premier tour, des candidats sont élus s’ils ont obtenu la majorité absolue des suffrages exprimés et le vote d’au moins le quart des électeurs inscrits. "

So there may be many communes in this situation. I guess Macron will cover the issue of the 2nd round tonight.

Thankfully, the link which gives all the national results… does have the correct information… :roll_eyes: all folk have to do is take a look… but for some that is just too easy… :sweat_smile: :rofl: and, yes, we wait for Macron to tell us about the 2nd Round etc…

Can someone confirm please. Looks like our 15 councillors have all been elected by the required number of votes. The one with the highest number of votes is a woman. Does that mean she becomes our mayor?

The maire is elected by the elected conseilleurs

1 Like

As a general rule, the head of the list “expects” to be the Maire… but in reality the elected group will take a secret ballot to officially choose which one of them will be Maire… then he/she… the Maire nominates the Adjoints…

@Stella Thanks Stella

We had a little hiccup one year, when a farmer gained a terrific number of votes and fully expected to become Maire… a good chap but lacking experience in certain important areas.

However, the “secret ballot” put the best man in charge… phew… and the farmer was made an Adjoint…

Interesting times… let’s see what the next few hours/days bring us…

Macron has said that the 2nd round is postponed.

He did, but no clarity (unless I missed it) about what happens to those conseils that haven’t got a clear mandate,I.e. need the 2nd vote.