French police excessively violent?

Article from the Guardian suggesting excessive violence and no accountably. New or has it always been thus?
Of course French police and politicians lied and smeared UK football fans. That’s what they do | Fabrice Arfi | The Guardian

1 Like

Given what some squad in Paris infamously did/ allegedly did (it was a few years ago now so my mind is hazy on the details) to a bloke with a baton that time, I think it’s safe to say there have been issues for some time, but there are clearly many issues with the likes of the Met in the U.K., Law enforcement in the US is woeful much of the time, and outright dangerous to whole swathes of the population at times, police forces around the globe are rife with corruption and have been known to commit the most barbaric acts, so I don’t know, genuinely don’t know, whether these are local issues or much more macro issues around police forces globally and the issues in France are just one example of that wider problem.

1 Like

https://www.senat.fr/questions/base/2022/qSEQ220327231.html
Apparently the suicide rate amongst flics is one every four days so far this year.

1 Like

Some are, some aren’t just like most police forces around the world.

The biggest problem I have is the disproportionate use of the weapons at their disposal which injure hundreds of people every year, several officers are facing charges and possible jail time over the handling of the Gilet Jaune protests from 2018/19.

If I had a problem I wouldn’t voluntarily approach a French police person. Says it all really.

2 Likes

I don’t agree.
On a visit to Angoulême when there were protests ongoing, I wanted to get directions to the prefecture (CdS application reasons) and asked a policier guarding a road junction nearby.
He was extremely helpful in circumstances where there were clear pressures on resources, I thanked him and we found our way through the milling crowd of protesters without any problem.
There is nothing to fear from police if you follow the rules of engagement.

2 Likes

One person and one occasion. Not statistically significant.

2 Likes

Like you I do have experience of the French Police… the ordinary Gendarme, the Town Police and the CRS as well.

I have approached our local Gendarmes several times when the need arose… and also the Gendarmes in Charente and in Perigueux. On each occasion, they have been helpful and I felt no fear whatsoever.
However, on those occasions it was not during demonstrations, mass-meetings etc etc. (I should add that I would never willingly go anywhere which was experiencing manifestations/major-gatherings etc… be it in UK or France or anywhere come to that).

The CRS are an entirely different kettle of fish. I’ve come across them in peaceful surroundings and enjoyed their company…
However, I would not wish to be the object of their attentions in the world at large…

2 Likes

It was simply an example. I have had other dealings the police here but don’t propose to list them all… Just this one gave a reasonable outline of my experience.

2 Likes

I think we have to separate two aspects of policing here. I expect most - if not all - of us who have had to ask the French police for help have had a good experience. That’s also been my experience in the UK.

It’s when the situation involves some sort of confrontation that things become different. My impression is that the French police don’t manage public disorder as well as the British (I might say “even as well as the British”, bearing in mind the way the Met behaves). The British police are better at anticipating difficulties and arranging things so that these can be avoided: the French police - generally - seem to react with weaponry like incapacitant sprays.

There was the inevitable discussion about this on BBC radio just after the Liverpool game. The gist was that in general French police expect to deal with crowds much more robustly than the British police do, and tear gas etc is normal.

How accurate that is I can’t say.

2 Likes

It has to be said that the same issues did not exist on the other side of the stadium with the Spanish fans.

3 Likes

That’s a ridiculous comment and you might want to think about removing it.

3 Likes

A couple of my best mates are ex Gendarme colonels. The local police are also very friendly, they pop into shops and cafes and are known to the community. More Dixon of Dock Green style policing.

1 Like

Agreed,. Even the CRS are approachable. I was chatting with them in Marseilles at the Heineken Cup final and earlier this year at some manifestation in Paris.

1 Like

As opposed to a subjective view? Mmm :thinking:

1 Like

If there was no issue with police violence why did Macron announce new measures to investigate and tackle this some 6 months ago? And Michel Zecler, amongst others, might not agree with your view of their benign niceness.

1 Like

I think a strong rein needs to be kept on all police forces but les plod chez moi are friendly.

1 Like

Yes but Janes comment is merely continuing the discussion. Yours was personal !