French rip-off prices, garden refuse, donkeys, goats and anything else the thread drifts to

I think you will find that this

“and I see so many people here excluded from “community”, foreign people first of all, but also certain French people if they are not deemed to be the right “sort of person” or “worthy” of people’s attention.”

happens everywhere, it isn’t specific to France.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve taken it that way, I did not mean to offend and thought we were having a constructive discussion. I’m just trying to understand the différences between what the French people say they want, your national “mission statement”, as it were and what we actually see in practice.

What really attracted me to your original answer was that, as both employees and entrepreneurs / business owners in France, it is obvious to us that 1) high employment costs caused by high social charges and 2) relative lack of commercial competition creates higher prices here than in the UK.

It was also refreshing to hear a Frenchman make a clear and direct link between what is “paid in” and the objectives for which that “pays out” (putting aside whether it actually works or not - no country has all the answers to that one…). It seems like a simple point but I too often hear lunch table conversation or see articles about how to pay less, or no, income tax, how to reduce one’s social charges etc. whilst the same people claim that they are “so hard done by the State” and “can’t live on what they are given” etc. These benefits seeming very generous to somone from the UK and yet “not enough” here…

In my humble opinion, if we all want the system to work better to achieve its objectives, it will take a fundamental shift in the way of thinking, and more people in France explaining and debating this link between paying in and paying out.

This fundamental shift would have to include a free and frank debate about community spirit, richness / poverty and how to really help everyone in the most efficient way possible. I hope it happens and wish you also a Bonne Journée!

France is in a bit of a hole, Macron pledged to keep within the EU’s budget deficit limit of 3% and has succeeded in doing this but it’s come at a cost - social security reforms etc. With an ageing population the social security bill will keep rising so to stick within the 3% limit cuts will need to continue and or taxes must rise, not sure the French public will put up with either. Macron’s only hope is that the economy grows which increases the tax take making further cuts unnecessary.

Here in the Clunysois we can put out boxes of fruit, veg etc. but they will not be taken because everyone else has their excess to give away.
We cannot give away peaches or figs at the moment,but the William pears go down well.

That is be ause of the dramatic fall in the price of raw milk.
Farmers are adding value by producing cheese, yoghurt and ice cream.
They are also selling their milk direct as door step deliveries or vending machines.

They must have been strange goats then as goats are browsers and can quickly damage trees and shrubs.

Sorry my post was a bit vague. They got the goats to clear their large garden and keep the grass down. The reality was that, left to their own devices, the goats chose to graze on areas of cut grass and although they did damage trees and shrubs they did not do the job that they had been expected to do. A failed experiment.

3 Likes

Donkeys need to be kept in at least pairs, otherwise they will fret and die.
For anyone considering buying a donkey please think long and hard.
There was a thread about donkeys not so long ago.

That is of course critical for the health and happiness of the donkey but I believe the ‘other half’ does not have to be another donkey but can equally well be a goat or a sheep?

2 Likes

Correct, but donkeys are long lived animals and make strong bonds with their companions.

Yes, Mother and son had them 10 years, Baudet du Poitou and they love their cut grass.

I’m trying to work out what caring for donkeys and goats has to do with the “French being ripped off”.

All topics “drift” a bit!

Sadly, a neighbour has “retired” and no longer has his goats. They were marauders and the naughtiest one was named “Stella” for some reason… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, all the fuss and bother was worth while… as the neighbour did his Friday night “round”… selling the goat’s cheese… wonderful stuff. :relaxed:

His daughter… makes brebis cheese … very different but equally delicious…

Excellent!

1 Like

Think you will find that someone added, ‘‘And garden refuse’’ on to the Title.

2 Likes

Someone needs to also add, ‘and Donkeys and Goats’

2 Likes

Duly edited to cover all possibilities.

2 Likes

Thank you!

De rien.