French Road Experience for a Visiting American - "Stop Tailgating!"

It's a common misbelief that multiple licences is a way around a driving ban in the UK. It might make it harder to be caught, but a driving ban applies to the person. The licence isn't "taken away". Driving while banned is much more serious. Nevertheless people ignore driving bans all the time, in both the UK and France (and I expect everywhere else). It isn't a matter of money, or trying to confuse things with multiple licences. Underage driving is actually "driving while banned" in the UK. The real consideration is whether the police has the resource to enforce these regulations. It was in the last few years that a specific law about driving in the middle/right lane (in the UK) was passed, creating specific penalties for this. The reality is the police don't have the patrols on the motorways that they used to operate. The cameras probably don't provide evidence, or if they do, the traffic police are busier tracing the more serious matters of stolen cars, uninsured drivers etc. There will always be an antisocial element ignoring the law. When that has an impact on others, we all suffer, and most of this will make driving less safe, whatever the offenders believe about their driving ability. And I say this as someone who has frequently gone over the speed limit over the years, and probably will again.

That's about it. That's why I said it is relativism. As for the prison for high speed over limits, the Home Office brief is not to give them unless part of a compound charge such as drinking on top and then just how much over that limit. Given drinking and driving has fallen (where do they get the stats, random sampling has been reduced as part of cutbacks?) in the UK risk takers no longer fear that deterrent. Talking to a visitor here a couple of years back, those who have the vehicle to do the kind of speeds necessary are very often those who can afford a hefty fine and then they will get round the ban somehow. One woman he knows actually has three driving licences from different countries she lived in where she went through the necessary formalities but never mentioned her Australian (her original one) qualification. When caught in the UK she produced that and had a ban for X but still had two legit licences to get round it. That is the kind of thing that makes it all fall apart for everybody else, plus the many illegal drivers of course.

I live in the Centre of France and the roads are long and straight so you don't really get stuck behind someone so there is no need to tailgate. Also there isn't a lot of traffic, rush hour here is like a really quiet time on UK roads, so I suppose that is another reason. There are certain areas in France where the drivers have a reputation to be worse, such as going south of Lyon, don't know why.

It's very difficult to compare the road casualty statistics. Although the UK and France have similar populations, the road networks and usage are quite different. It does look like about 50% more people are killed on French roads than on the UK's. Enforcement of traffic laws has been different, although the police in the UK are changing their priorities due to significant cuts in there budgets. If you get caught exceeding the speed limit by as much as you're describing, you'd be risking a prison sentence in the UK. I think it's best to obey the speed limits, the safe distances between vehicles and respect proper lane discipline on the public roads. Invest in a track day if you fancy driving more enthusiastically :)

Actually, the cops are being generous with 5km. My OH got done for 3km, a warning letter and small fine (don't do it again) but no point off. At 60 over the fine would put you off driving. The classic (local) story of 2014 was the man who bought a BMW, picked it up and had a quick drive down past the airport. He was doing about double the 90 km/h allowed. His fine was immense, his ban almost immediate instead of the tedious wait for a court session and the effect of three years off the road on his insurance means that if he is sane he will never contemplate a Beamer again, more like a bottom of range Seat probably. Message - it ain't worth it. As for the 50% more deaths - 2100+ UK in 2012, 1700+ in 2013, 1800+ in 2014 against 3200+ France in 2013, 3100+ in 2014 whereas in fact the UK had a high peak year in 2012 but is rising again, whereas in France in 2013 it was an 11% drop on 2012 with an over 3% drop again in 2014. So it is partly relativism and on the other hand where measures are making things better. France has Europe's biggest radar trap network, plus more mobile units than the UK.

First point: the law in France, as in most of Europe, is keep right. It is illegal on a multi lane road to be in the centre or left lane unless you are passing other vehicles. Overtaking on the right ("undertaking") is illegal. (In the UK all this is the same, but the rule of the road is keep left!). It's not well enforced, but that will annoy other road users, since you obstruct the road and they can't legally pass you if you're driving slowly in the left lanes when there is no traffic in the right lane. Speed limits. The French police - when they are enforcing - will take action for much smaller transgressions than 40 mph/ 60kph over the limit. The cameras will ticket you for going 5km over the limit. At 60 over you're looking at a reckless driving charge, which is far more serious. Have you registered your car in France? A colleague brought a car from Florida a few years ago and the registration for a non conforming car cost thousands. (It was a Japanese model, available in Europe, but the US specification was deemed non-conforming, so a lot of additional testing and changing of parts was needed) I hope that has become easier. Driving is a great way to see France and gives you the opportunity to see so much more than you could if you travel by other means. Enjoy!

Wow, Ian, never thought about that.

But given the French cultural context and their desire to do things in groups, it actually makes sense. This gives me a fresh perspective, and I could look upon that tailgater as "lonely" and actually a friendly guy.

Another observation: Highways in California are generally pretty damn crowded. I am really happy that the paid roads here (and most other roads I've seen) are not crowded at all! People aren't driving because they can't afford the gas, or they prefer public transit -- love it!

Kevin,

Yeah, we brought our car from California and it's not a diesel, so we are preparing for high fuel bills. The process for importing a car was interesting and as it turns out -- pretty easy. (If there are any drivers wishing to import from the US, I could fill you in on my experience.)

In the past few days we've not driven very much, but my policy toward tailgaters is probably going to change, based on pondering and reading some of the responses:

1) travel slowly at all times, unless bored and feel the need for speed. When I was writing about doing 90 mph free of fear of a ticket, I meant that I probably will not get ticketed (or arrested, anyway) if I am less than 40 miles over the speed limit;

2) as long as I am at or near the speed limit, ignore the inchy bastards trying to mate with my car;

3) try to drive in the right hand lane where possible, but don't feel compelled to always drive in the right. For me, it's a two-faceted issue: It's not illegal to drive in the left hand lane when not passing (I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong) and I feel safer whenever I can put some distance between me and the cars around me. If I stay in the right, someone is going to come up to my butt. If I see someone approaching in my (left hand lane), I can change lanes.

I am confident the French highway traffic habits have room for improvement, and the tailgating behavior may just be bad training reinforcing a bad habit; after all, "there are c.50% more deaths from road accidents here in France than in the U.K. and the French seem quite happy to live with that," according to poster Geoff Ells.

Thanks John

No dodgy past eh? Why worry, I know a few people who think pass the joint is about roast beef and they were hardly angels, same could be said for their driving in most cases ;-)

It's overconfidence in my typing and the %&*! autocorrect on my tablet. Why? Why would my computer think I meant that? I read about the other possible meaning, too.

I did inhale, but still have no idea. Mind you, I stopped inhaling before the 60s were out so maybe I too have forgotten ;-)

Having read a few more posts a little follow up. I have always loved driving on the continent since the late 60's onwards primarily on holidays and some business trips. Since moving to France nearly 5 years ago I dread going back to the UK. My Blood Pressure rises steadily as soon as I drive off of the ferry at Portsmouth and by the time I get to the M27 I have reawakened all of my Olde English/Anglo Saxon vocabulary and by the time I reach the M3 I can no longer speak as completely ho-arse (hoarse). This of course pleases my wife no end and she can remove her ear plugs at this point. Tailgating still available of course, but not as noticable, but centre lane hogging etc. still drives me to despair. To offset this a little, on the way into Bordeaux onthe A10, where the lanes expand I have come across the same (No racial intent here just happens to be so) black lady driving in the middle lane at a steady 50 kph on no less than three occasions. Could be her cruise control is stuck I suppose. LOL

My theory on tailgating in France is as follows and applies everywhere but in the cities. As the there is more land in France, as opposed to the UK, and hence the traffic is spread out much further drivers get lonely hardly ever seeing another car. So when they do find another driver going in the same direction as them they get as close as possible, for the company, so they do not feel so alone.

As I have a pick up truck I rely on my door mirrors as much as my rear view mirror and on many occasions have thought the driver behind must have turned off somewhere, as no longer in view, until I check the door mirrors and hey presto there they are. Madness.

Kevin: what is roach etiquette? I seem to remember something about that in the sixties - but I didn't inhale! Honest....:)

I agree completely, John. We never think of travelling in Europe other than by road. I love driving, and learning the little differences of roach etiquette is one of the pleasures if travel. Rail is quicker in theory, but won't get me to everywhere I might want to go and timetables put huge limits on what can be done by rail. I question some of the assertions about costs. I own a car, so many of the costs of motoring will hit me anyway. Every time I use the car, the fixed costs are spread further. If there are two of you in the car, you don't double the costs like you would on the train. I live in a city, so I use public transport a lot but as soon as we go out of town, the car is our preferred means of transport. I'd rather spend a couple of days motoring to Spain, than fly. Packing's easier and it saves me hiring a car when I arrive! I used to commute to work by car in the UK. Everything you describe is familiar. It's a miracle there isn't more carnage!

I can echo those comments Louise i love driving in France love driving full stop yes we get the odd lunatic up the mountain road overtaking close to or actually on a bend but generally the empty roads in good condition make for pleasant driving,as for tailgating no more than i got in the UK, my usually joke to friends is that there was a traffic jam in the town with 6 cars at the lights. When working in the UK it was normal for me to drive 300+miles a day it was not unknown for me to drive from the north Midlands to East Midlands airport then on to Stanstead back up to Manchester with one memorable day being ask on your way past can you call into Sleaford.Covering those miles i have seen every crazy antic in the book mobile phones being used was an every day occurrence, reps driving with paperwork propped up on the steering wheel pen in one hand drink in the other knee pressed against the wheel, girls putting on make up, dogs on drivers laps, young ladies with their heads buried in their boyfriends laps presumably fast asleep, 6 hours to get from Stoke on Trent to Nuneaton a distance of some 70 miles.Driving in France is a joy compared to the UK and even better on a motorcycle

It goes both ways. I have joined in this because I thought about it. I think that for X years, in England and Wales before here so we are well over a decade back to begin with, pushing two, I am so used to tailgating I don't normally notice it. This drew my attention to it but then I am a driver who swears and curses and if I find somebody is too close retaliate as well I can, have a good blaspheme and get on with life. Otherwise I doubt I notice it but it happens, probably every time I do a journey of perhaps 20km upward at least once. I don't think it did at all today on 40 minutes into Bergerac, then between shops and the two colleges perhaps half an hour actually driving, then home, so total driving time around two hours and not one tailhanger I recall. Other days I would run out of fingers counting. Draw people's attention to it and they see it when normally they don't, so who is right or wrong?

It’s not an aspect of driving that I’m particularly aware of in my experience of driving in France either. Louise is certainly not alone in her observations.

Crikey Louise where do you live in France and can you confirm that you do have a rear-view mirror ? :-)