French road marking

Made me chuckle---and I am a Potteries girl

Thanks Bernadette. That makes a strange sort of sense. I think our locals also interpret it to mean this is where you put the centre of your car. Love it - what a great country!

Have enjoyed the comments but will give you the answer I was given. The road is too narrow for conventional centre markings but gives an idea of width. Not that it makes the slightest difference to our locals who use the whole road and expect oncoming traffic to take to the verge.

Well yes. Here is a story about two lads from Stoke on Trent.

Two students from Stoke were biking across a university campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?"
The other replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday, minding my own business, when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike, threw it to the ground, took off all her clothes and said to me, "Take what you want."
The first nodded approvingly and said, "Good choice: The clothes probably wouldn't have fitted you anyway."

Just shows how wrong chaps from the Potteries can be...

Just what I thought, thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I was told by a chap from the Potteries that SOTP was in fact the work of a disillusioned Stoke City fan a few years back wishing to give his point of view. He said it stood for 'Sod Off Tony Pulis'

Thanks for your thoughts. These lines appear all over France, well certainly between Dieppe and Toulouse, a journey I have done on too many occasions, and have been around for many years.

As for your photos, the top one is a very rare photo of the line-pushing tree-sloth on its annual migration. They hide behind logs (you can just see its head in the picture) and wait until the coast is clear. They cross the road pushing the line in front of them in the belief that drivers will not hit them. There may be some truth to this as one seldom sees dead sloths on the roads. Once they have crossed the road the line snaps back into place. This has never been caught on film.

The second was not taken in France. It is short for 'Caution, line painter in road' and I believe is only used in remote parts of the former Yugoslavia.

No idea Richard but maybe it's a local way of marking the roads, you would need to ask the DDE in that area. It could be an experimental sign which will usually have a sign explaining it's significance.

Here's a couple more I don't understand, maybe you know them ?