French Strikes over Pension Age Increase

Well I’m saying absolutely nothing about the UK, as a French person currently working for not a lot, looking forward to retiring for even less in about 10 years I think it is extremely unfair that babies don’t count as much as they did towards pensions especially in the public sector (because who’s going to be working to fund future pensions? My children, that’s who, and yours). I’d love to be able to retire at 62, or 64 but I’m looking at 67.
Of course with my long years of education and my cushy job (what with my lovely long unpaid holidays) what can I complain about.

I’m not however convinced that I’ll be as good as my job at 67 (age for full state pension) as I am now. Will I still be able to run up 3 or 4 flights of stairs carrying 20odd kg? Will my voice hold out?
Will I still be able to hop nimbly up onto an chair to work the projector/the electric blinds/ the video screen?
Will I still be as confident in my ability to break up physical fights with a look and an arm if need be ? (because the teenagers concerned won’t see me as anything but a little old lady).
Will I still be able to do a cartwheel or the splits?

4 Likes

What you should have is a stout walking stick.

We had a formidable English teacher, Miss Ayres, who was at least 70 when I was nine. She would thump the floor for quiet and wave it in your direction to call attention. We weren’t afraid of her but we did respect.

PS. If you can do the splits and cartwheel now you’re already well ahead!
:hugs:

1 Like

This is not a sport forum, or one about knitting, but has France as its focus. So of course the majority of the posts are about France!! And what you call bleating perhaps others find (mildly) amusing, situational humour and satire.

2 Likes

I teach people about twice as old as you were then :wink: they aren’t quite the same kettle of fish…

1 Like

What was the adjustment for babies, Vero ? I thought babies always counted…?

You get trimesters for each baby but you get twice as many in privé as you do in public. In any case it isn’t in any way proper compensation but it’s a sop which is now being wiped out. The postponing of the age people can retire has a disproportionate impact on women. And obviously if (as I will have to quite soon) you look after aged parents then obviously that’s not taken into account either. Actually the pension system sucks but not as much as just being a woman with a conscience.

3 Likes

Too right Vero. Women are expected to look after their children, work, look after aged parents and not complain.
Just a small instance on .keeping up with family and friends, who writes the Christmas cards?

1 Like

Ah, but who pays for them? (only joking!)

Actually, more seriously, who still sends them?

We do to

-some very elderly people (my old nounou, some solitary friends of my mother that I know well as I promised her I would keep in touch)

• friends where we have a tradition of making and sending creative cards

• our dog’s fan club

• OH’s religious sister

For a small price if can be a fun and cheerful thing, so we do it from pleasure.

3 Likes

We do too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We do as well, though it can get expensive sending to the UK, my wife wrote a lot of the cards early last year and left them in the UK to be posted in December by a relation.

This is a brilliant idea. Even UK to elsewhere is less eyewateringly expensive.

I remember a while back @graham saying he still sends Christmas cards because it lets friends know who’s still alive. Also brilliant.

Time to order our cards now….

Fantastic post if I my say so.

But to add to the debate, how do you expect a couvreur to still climb roofs at 64 in I dunno….-10……or 40 degress for that matter. It is not going to happen.

Would you like a 64 yeear old to drive a TGV……fly an A380……

1 Like

That’s just being agist! :roll_eyes:

I was thinking more about being the passenger.

I might prefer that to a 25 yr old who had partied too hard the night before, and spend the journey checking their phone.

3 Likes

Action sold a lot of nice cards last year and very cheap too compared to the big supermarkets. We did not bother sending cards as there was a well publicised backlog and continuing strike action in the UK and I actually got a card posted beg of December in February here.

1 Like

Pathologically speeking, I’m not so sure.

Anyway, dont the chiminots retire at 45 anyway. :grinning:

Just read that the refuse collectors letting the rubbish pile up in Paris are going to have to wait till 59 to get their pensions. Poor things!

Are they in the private sector or local government employees? Getting up early each morning to start your shift at 4.30 comes with a price and not a high wage, affects your health physically and mentally and that of your family. An early retirement package would at the time be part of the the contact signed.
I can see in the press that the « they have all these perks and we don’t » sort of stuff. Personally I wouldn’t like to live the working life and in the majority lower wages that those on strike have.

3 Likes