French tap water "has too much lead"

Morning Mary, I am in the Loire valley, near Descartes 37. The information was on our Mairie’s noticeboard.

1 Like

Mary, I am looking at some filters system and some have a self piercing tap that attaches around the cold copper pipe so shouldn’t be too much involved.

Just down the road from us is La Roche Posay, their famous healing water flows free from the well and you can fill your bottle from one of the taps. Noted to be high in selenium which is also present in the water around Norfolk where apparently people live the longest in the UK. Bet they wouldn’t let on if it was contaminated with pesticides

1 Like

And that just about explains the problem in a nutshell, small changes now can overt big issues later. The Aussies care now because half of their barrier reef is dead.

2 Likes

The ‘problem’ being what exactly John? - just to avoid any misunderstanding…

In our commune/region, drinking water is “source” supplied, tested for mineral, metal and pesticide content. I guess it must be chlorinated to some degree but I’ve never noticed it.
We do have a filter (In line cartridge type) on the line to our plumbed in fridge, but it’s rarely used as tap water is good to drink. Maybe that would be an option for you, but anyway I can’t see that they would be too difficult to fit yourself. The local supplier sends copies of the analyses with the bill.

1 Like

That the huge amount of plastics being used are not yet high on peoples priority. In this case just for a bit of drinking water.

1 Like

That’s right John. I think that throughout our lives we are presented with many different causes and ‘battles’ - sometimes we simply don’t have either the ability, will or time to take them all on. We make such decisions based on our own priorities - not the moral compasses of others.

I understand Simon its our love of convenience? would that be a good term.
Regarding a moral compass if the water costs rose to 30 cents per litre i.e. €300 m3 from the €1.25 ish they are now but it was free from pesticides, lead etc etc would people complain as that would negate the need for bottled water?

Pfffff - you missed my point John but never mind…

No, ‘convenience’ wouldn’t be a good term - ‘choice’ would be a good term.

In answer to your question - depends how much dosh you’ve got!

If I missed your point it’s because you didn’t state it clearly enough. You asked me earlier to clarify my point so now I ask you for the same

1 Like

The decisions you make may often be dictated by your longevity. Things that may previously have been important become less important. Got it?

Simon, Less of the “Pfff’s” and “got it’s” Or I will report this to Catherine, no need for that kind of language here.
Going back to your point, yes if you are that old then your choices are different. but the choice over one plastic container or another or adding to the toxic waste piles floating around our oceans, I could accept convenience as that is how this product is currently packaged although a return to glass could be on the horizon. I can’t accept choice in the form you have said as I don’t really believe people openly choose to pollute anywhere and at any age. Ignorance on the other hand could play a big part.

2 Likes

Proud are we?
https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs3ScUoVavnwAHwlLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE0bGNnODRlBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjUxNDFfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=Plastic+waste+in+pacific+ocean&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee#id=33&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.dailymail.co.uk%2Fi%2Fpix%2F2008%2F02_01%2FSoupLL0502_468x271.jpg&action=click

One of the advantages of buying and renovating a ruin. When I bought my house there was a recently installed water meter by the road at the entrance to the property but nothing on my side. All the plumbing that I have was put in new so I know that I’m not using any nasty piping hidden deep underground.

3 Likes

Or ill John, or ill. You just missed my point again in your rush to berate me for using plastic water bottles. Go ahead and ‘report’ me to Catharine (note - with a second ‘a’) if it makes you feel better up there on your moral high ground. This post was about tap water but you’ve chosen to use it to support your personal crusade.

Bringing still water from the Alps or sparkling water from Italy is far more than just plastic bottles. There is the small question of all the unnecessary additional pollution due to road transport.

3 Likes

Glad to hear your out. At no point did you raise “ill” Yes I accept Ill but how does that effect it? I had Cancer, maybe you have, I was angry at times, maybe you are? Did I drink from plastic bottles, most probably as it is convenient as they are available everywhere. Am I personally berating you, or society as a whole? We all have to take responsibility and we owe something to the other generations we leave behind IMO.

This thread is still about tap water, we have moved along to include filtering your own into your own containers, that’s a start. It is only natural to examine why if the tap water is not good chemically or taste wise why bottled water has become so attractive bearing in mind it’s price which is massive profits for the companies that make it so they should have a responsibility to do something about their waste product.

Yes I do care about the environment, in my book that is a crusade worth discussing. anybody else who thinks it’s wrong please speak up. It’s easy to go on too long on any topic you feel passionate about.

1 Like

Exactly Dominic, I followed 4 articulated lorries up the M20 from the ferry all with Evian on board to supply the precious little snowflakes in London no doubt.

Something (!) you said has bugged me…

…are you implying that I think it’s wrong to care about the environment? Is that why you’ve been so agressive (not passionate!) in your stance? If so - I suggest you go back and read my posts instead of misinterpreting them.

Why do you think everything is about you? I made comments about society as a whole, I include myself in that, we must for the future of civilisation make changes in the excesses of the last few decades.

I learnt many years ago that if the recipient misses the point then the communication wasn’t clear enough, so if you write cryptically about a point you are trying to get over it can and most probably will be miss interpreted.
A lot of people on forums do this and only really get to their point after several more postings, the earlier ones being miss interpreted are often where arguments start.

Your post sounded to me like you have other issues to think about, but in such a way that you were taking the mickey out of those who drink tap water.

1 Like