French winegrowers face poorest harvest since 1945 - France 24

Interesting to read, thank you for posting this. As I read, I got the impression that perhaps this statement of ā€˜poorest harvest since 1945ā€™ applies to specific regions and/or grapes? Some, such as in the region of Burgundy, seem to be less hurt by the turns of weather this past year. Any thoughts? Did I misunderstand? Iā€™d thought at first glance that I was going to be reading an article on effects akin to the Dust Bowl effect of the late 1920s on midwestern US agriculture. But as I read further, the sensation wore off.

In its place is the tiniest whisper of doubt that has sprung up, my having suspicions that Iā€™ve just read something that seems intent on eliciting an across-the-board sense of panic. Iā€™m now wanting to actually see the primary research, on what was pronounced in this article about the effect of the drought in Spain and so forth, on the harvests there and in the rest of Europe.

1 Like

It is simply pointing out that climatic effects, late frosts in France, drought in Italy and a heatwave Spain have resulted in these three wine producing countries harvesting significantly fewer grapes this season. Quantity not quality will be affected.
This is reporting a fact not a sense of panic.

1 Like

Quality is the most important indeed. I do remember being told by a friend who had
a vineyard that they had so much of a yield that they were almost did not know what
to do with it.
I am sure that all is well.

1 Like

Barbera did you not read the facts. All is not well hence the article.

1 Like

No Davidā€¦did not read the facts.
All will work out ā€¦I am sure.
Life goes onā€¦

1 Like

Our 2 nearest neighbouring vineyards yields are at 40% & 60% of last year (which was a good year).

The frost in April has caused big problems but the effects of it were incredibly localised as the frost ā€œflowedā€ through the vineyards, there are paths in the vines where the frost passed through leaving no grapes as all of the new vine growth was killed.

The reports seem accurate, and this is more than just a ā€œblipā€ and will leave certain vineyards struggling as any business would with a drop in revenue of 40%.

I hope they get a better yield next year.

1 Like

The Maconnais suffered from devastating hail as well as frosts.
We buy our Cremant fr a vigneron the south of the Beaujolais and who also has large apple orchards which were devastated by frost.