From a basket case to a carpet bug!

If what I’ve written in any way works you up, I’m sorry for that but perhaps you shouldn’t keep replying to the post Graham.

There is an expression in French, to lie like a carpet-merchant (and also a tooth-drawer).

1 Like

As I said before you seem to be very worried about being ripped off, we all live in that world. You do not seem to understand how many French businesses are organised.
I should not have answered because carpets are one of the things that I do not have any interest in buying now or at any time in the future. :slight_smile:

Sorry everyone, I completely missed that. Forget everything I said and I’ll just go hide myself under a large rock! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

Did you and Graham share a bed last night? Because you need to swap sides. The two of you getting out on the wrong side is too unsettling for a recent member of the forum.

I’m not trying to inform you but I haven’t joined to be personally assessed or be criticized for my assumed lack of how French businesses work, for example, or anything else for that matter. I could probably tell you more about that than you’d ever expect believe me. You’re making assumptions about me based on nothing in particular and have no idea what my life is about. That doesn’t mean I shouldn’t ask questions or make observations or comments.

I haven’t insulted or been judgemental to anyone and I think longstanding members of the forum should think twice before they post replies in a bad spirit.

You, amongst others have helped a lot in other posts but today things have turned out to be a bit personal and judgemental.

I don’t see any posts with longstanding members replying to each other in the same way.

So, Graham will be very pleased to know for sure that he won’t see me posting here again and I’ll be happy knowing I won’t have to take extreme steps when posting that won’t end up in criticism. There’s no fun in that.

I imagine that this might be one of those forums that would easily turn off new members thanks to a tiny minority of its members.

For everyone else who helped with my questions, thank you.

And Graham, fire away!!! You have the entire post to yourself. Well done!

Hi Frank - thought yours was an extremely interesting post. It’s called ‘rip off France’ - there have been other posts about France and the 'helpful response was ‘go over the border’ or… not very helpful responses.

It’s an extremely odd situation where a national firm has such different quotes for the same carpet, and the same work - and I’m sure many of us on here will watch out for this - so thank you.

There are occasions when I despair of this forum; sometimes some posters just seem to want to attack, pick holes, be aggressive, or unhelpful - and will argue black is white if it suits them.

Some of us are grateful for help and advice - and I’ll remember what you have written.

Here’s a thought. I like carpets - even have carpet in the kitchen for safety reasons - ever fallen on hard tiles ? As one becomes older having a hard fall on a hard surface is not really welcome. We can’t put fitted carpets down but I have bought carpet -‘off the roll’ more or less to the room size in living room, and one large section of carpet in kitchen.

Does the carpet really need to be ‘fitted’; I’m presuming you mean fixed into place on the wooden battens with tacks already in place ? Because if it doesn’t then maybe buying some carpet ‘off roll’ might be an even cheaper option for you ?
Some of us don’t have much money; buying off roll has certainly worked for us.

When you eventually get the right carpet, at the right price - just think how cosy and welcoming it will feel come winter time !!!

And don’t mind some people - there’s those that’ can’t help themselves…!!!

1 Like

You’re OK, we know that.

I agree, seen lots of people turned off for not really doing anything wrong. I lurked for a while before I started posting as wasn’t sure if I should!

Me too

Thanks Tiger Lily, toryroo and Edward (so far).

David, Graham, are you taking note? Or are you too busy preening your egos?

Your attitudes are clearly not always as appreciated as you might believe. But it clearly doesn’t bother you.

You’d probably both be wise to re-read the very basic rules and guidance on the forum about responding to other members posts.

Or perhaps you think you’ve been around for long enough that they don’t apply to you.

It’s not your own personal forum, it’s a community forum. You are no more important than the next person who signs up. Get that into your heads.

To tell anyone "Good Riddance " in any situation these days, says more about you David than you might think.

3 Likes

You say that after the remarks you’ve made? Pot, kettle.

Which remarks? The one about yourself and Graham getting out of a bed on the wrong side?

Are you saying you actually think I thought that really happened?
Were you really worried that this was a serious accusation?

You should probably stop there before you get yourself into a tizzy.

It’s that comment of ‘good riddance’ which really sums up the attitude of some on here.

We are all entitled to our different opinions.
We all deserve to be listened to and our views, no matter how different, to be treated with respect - not rudeness and nastiness.

Or are we now going to ‘cancel’ people because they have a different view on many aspects of modern life ?

That ‘good riddance’ I find to be particularly nasty,. offensive, rascist, homophobic, transphobic, very ‘woke’ - get it.

No one has any right on this forum to be so rude.
Oh - and watch the typing - some of us are so terribly, terribly particular about the odd typing mistake aren’t they ?

2 Likes

Very true, and it seems like when people say something there are certain posters who just don’t believe that they are rude and just turn it back onto the other poster they haven’t agreed with :frowning: such a shame as there are good people and good information on this forum.

People need to just be nicer to each other, and particularly to new people or it will end up with just the same dozen people posting. Surely better to be welcoming and friendly and end up with an interesting mix of people that can have interesting discussions, even if viewpoints different.

5 Likes

David. Still not getting the message?

As a relative newcomer to this forum, I wonder if I might make an observation?
I find this place an invaluable source of advice, help and information. There are many here who are very generous with their time in making suggestions, looking up information and being among the first to offer help when someone posts.
Offering help is like offering a gift. It is the hardest thing ever when that help/gift is rejected by the recipient.
The challenge with a “let me help you” attitude though is that sometimes the receiver does not actually need the help on offer, either because they are just “letting off steam” and wanting to share their experience or because the help they are looking for is very narrow and specific.
Seems to me this is when misunderstanding arises and frustration / irritation sets in. The “helper” feels rejected. The “helped” (whether they want to be or not!) feels that they have not been understood.
Those of you who are cautious posting, I would so encourage you to participate fully. There is so much goodwill here and spats, when they happen, most of the time are no more than genuine miscommunication.

To return to the specific post - which I sense was intended to offer information and not to ask for help - so I’m throwing in my haporth. It certainly took us some time to understand that “national chains” in France are quite unlike the chains in the UK (such as John Lewis). Here, they are almost always franchises, so the franchisee sets his/her own strategy with regard to pricing / range of products held/ special offers/ etc.

We learnt the hard way with a “chain” of kitchen fitters when we needed a kitchen for our gite. The first one we visited just saw €€€ and came up with a price over 12,000 euros - way over our budget - take it or leave it. So we rejected the whole “chain” until we couldn’t find anything we liked elsewhere. Fortunately in desperation a few weeks later we went to a second “branch” of this “national chain” - 40 kilometres in the opposite direction and got a very different experience where we negotiated, they listened and were flexible and brought the whole package in at 7,000 euros.

4 Likes

You are 100 % spot on. Go for it Tiger!

This was totally how I took the post as well. And some good points too Sue. This is also the issue with forums, with no facial cues, not really ‘knowing’ someone things are easily ‘taken the wrong way’. Even more reason to be kind and not jump to conclusions about the intentions of a post / poster!

2 Likes

Goodness me… :rofl: :rofl: from the title I thought this thread would be about insects…

and there’s certainly been a lot of biting and scratching… :crazy_face: :flushed: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

Perhaps the heat is making folk more tetchy/sensitive/whatever…

I know it’s making me a bit odd…after 117 days of lockdown… and still counting…

Let’s all take a deep breath and relax… please.

You’re both right of course. My post was simply telling of a recent experience we had. It wasn’t a rant in any way or even asking for help. Just a few words of caution.

And Sue, your story seems to echo ours. So it is worth being aware.

1 Like