From the BBC website tonight - no need to panic

“In a new publication, the French government says Britons wanting to visit France for more than three months would need a visa under a no-deal Brexit, and those already living there could be treated as being in France illegally unless they had the necessary residence permits.”

Who are we to believe?

I’ve just had a brief look at this government document and it seems that perhaps the BBC have the wrong end of the stick. On a quick perusal the French government seem to be taking steps to formalize various factors and not penalize foreigners.
Perhaps somebody with superior French could confirm my interpretation?

1 Like

You’re exactly right, damian john.
There are threads popping up all over the place on expat forums from people who’ve been panicked by the UK media’s warped presentation of this. Including a couple of threads on here. Maybe the mods can remove a few.

1 Like

Thanks Anna.

A translation was posted elsewhere on SF - haven’t had time to read it, or the original French

https://www.survivefrance.com/uploads/short-url/zUo6047SKQvz80yQkFWlrLL0pbh.pdf

Well, I believe that it all depends upon what the ne essary permits turn out to be.
We are applying for CDS.

Since France is showing willing to put in place some emergency legislation in the event of a no deal to sort some of these things out I’m somewhat annoyed at media sources using alarmist headlines to grab attention.

Personally I think france has far better things to do than seek out ex-UK residents who are peacefully living/working, paying taxes and meeting other legal requirements. No doubt in due course there will be an administrwtive hurdle to jump, but I’m not jumpimg over holograms.

3 Likes

One would hope so but they recently tightened immigration law and they have history in chucking out groups that are not popular (eg the Roma a few years ago).

Now I’m not suggesting that France has anything against UK nationals at present but we do, as they say, live in uncertain times.

2 Likes

@james

@anon88169868 the French have been discriminating against the Roma since the 15th century, and there’s a significant cultural, political and bias against them. So rather a different matter. And the UK nationals in France are not a homogenous ethnic group. Or any sort of group for that matter apart from holding a UK passport - old/young, rich/poor, working/not working etc etc.

Indeed many nations have so I agree that was a different situation.

However I have now read through the French “no deal” document (or, rather, the English translation provided by Fleur). Much of it is a question of stating the bleedin’ obvious but it is clear that the French view is that they will simply enforce the rules as they would apply today to a 3rd nation without any additional agreements with the EU/France - noting, for example

Brexit is causing a certain amount of ill will so if it becomes politically expedient to be seen to be applying the rules fairly I am not sure I would expect a lot of sympathy from the French authorities.

I should be clear though - what I expect to happen is that anyone who has been playing by the rules in terms of their residence in France will have no difficulty applying for a CdS and continuing to live as they have done.

4 Likes

At a social get together at the weekend our french friends were horrified to find out what we will need to have a CdS to continue legally living in our own home if there is no deal.

Carte de Séjour… Not so very arduous surely Jane… my filing cabinet is full of documents (all the usual bumpf that we accumulate through living here) … just need to pull out the essentials, if and when necessary…

Now… Citizenship… that is a whole new ball-game… with all those BMD certs etc etc… (with or without translations)

BMD certs? Well somebody had to ask.:thinking:

Sorry… Birth, Marriage, Death… :zipper_mouth_face:

It is the fact that that we have to apply for one that they found shocking.
They assured us that they would not look upon us as etrangers.
We are very lucky because we have never been made so welcome as we have here.

Not sure who “They” are… but my French pals consider me French and will never look upon me as an Etranger… but that does not mean tuppence in the legal scheme of things.

1 Like

The legalities are likely to reflect public opinion, aren’t they. They usually do, with some important exceptions such as the death penalty.

At the recent communal white-hair meal yesterday Brexit came up at my table - certainly not by me, but my presence seemed to provoke it and people seemed generally sympathetic, and interested in my response, which was along the lines of grateful to be here, admire France, love the culture, wait and see, fingers crossed.

However, although the general sentiment seemed to be that “there are some nice anglais, especially (sic) the écossais/écossaises and irelandais/irelandaises”, it was my impression
that many anglais are thought of as rather like economic migrant opportunists wanting a very comfortable lifestyle on the cheap: and the stay-at-home ones are just as orgueilleux and xenophobiques as ever they were. None of those at my table had ever crossed the channel to UK, although all had travelled abroad or taken a cruise. Makes one think!

So not much sympathy there, then. How that translates into action remains to be seen. I shall try to maintain a dignified reticence in the matter, and I rexkon that’s the best policy all round. :zipper_mouth_face:

Peter… the Law is the Law… if we need to have a certain of paper… so be it… we will get it…

but with or without that piece of paper…I will still be accepted as me… and you, likewise… :relaxed:

There are some folk on the fringes who face an uncertain time… but they can still put their house in order if they wish to do so…

1 Like

Well I have made an appointment to get a TDS. I have been here over fifteen years but am no longer willing to take any risks. I’d rather get it over with now and in the event that it is not needed for a year or so at least I shall have one (hopefully) and renewal should be a formality. (Yes, ha ha I know). Also although free of charge now it will cost about 270 euros after March 29, 2019 so it seems logical.
My appointment is at Vannes (56). I have downloaded details of all the documents that are required and it seems a little more simple than I had feared. It seems I need five items in section 1 and two in section 2.
I would appreciate confirmation from anyone that has been through the process and I have two specific questions.
Most of the papers are French derivatives but my birth certificate is not. Do I need to get it translated by a court approved translator. We had it done for our marriage but that will be out of date now(2004).
Secondly…a medical certificate from the 'OFII (Office Francaise de l’immigration et integration). What is that all about please?