Fruit, Vegetables and seeds - products industrial!

I watched this emission last night and would highly recommend it…the lies, lies and more lies by the ‘producers of seeds’, the report itself and the consequences of ‘treated seeds’ makes riveting viewing…
Best would be to split it into small segments as it’s long but worth it !

1 Like

Thanks Ann… Now I understand what my friend Pierre was prattling about.

For the first time in 20 years, I am growing tomatoes (in pots) on our terrace. This is due to the glorious tomatoes I tasted when guarding a neighbour’s plants last year (which Pierre had provided).

Pierre was rattling on about seeds, but it was too full of patois for me to get the whole thing, I merely understood him to be saying that his plants were the best thing since sliced bread. :hugs:

1 Like

He was more likely to have told you that his plants preceded sliced bread, indeed bread of any invention, by 20,000,000 years or more.:thinking::grinning:

My next-door neighbour (many readers will be familiar with him by now) only ever grows food from seeds derived from his own garden, or from his mysterious and anonymous ‘patron’.

The produce is superb and seems immune to disease, being perfectly in harmony with the very local terroir, into which I feel myself being slowly incorporated, body and soul. :hugs:

1 Like

Shame that you can’t grow your own wheat Stella, this report also focused on the health effects of treated cereal grains…I am now cutting down on bread and going down the gluten free path as I recognised my symptoms there !

1 Like

I’m going to be taking much more interest in what I eat, too.

Some years ago, I did discover a chap who ground his own flour and baked his own bread (delicious). I’ll have to find him again and ask him the provenance of the grain he uses - might hit lucky.

A lot of the gluten free flour uses more industrial processes to create it, so many of the GF products on sale are more industrial not less as it is cheaper to use processed products than more expensive products that naturally contain no gluten. Check the labels before you fork out extra money to buy…

We make our own bread using a mix of flours, including Kamut (Khorasan) which is very low in gluten, Spelt, hazelnut and locally grown and milled wheat flour. It’s also very easy to buy old traditional varieties of fruit and veg seeds to grow yourself.

Our daughter thought she was GF intolerant, and it turned out that her problem was with the industrial yeasts. She can eat sourdoughs without problem.

Hi Jane…

I believe Sarrasin makes acceptable bread, which is gluten free. Have you tried this ??

My Mum has coeliac disease which means she suffers terribly if she eats anything containing gluten. She has to avoid even the smallest amounts - just using the same utensils for ordinary food and gluten free food can trigger a response. As a result we have separate toasters, butter etc. Eating out is very difficult but the local chippy has at least started to offer gluten-free fish and chips so she can have that.

If you think you may have coeliac disease then there is a blood test available that you can ask your doctor for, I had it done in France but I had to pay, about 16€ I think. If that comes back borderline or positive then further tests are necessary including a biopsy of the small bowel via an endoscope.

My sister-in-law also suffers from a wheat intolerance but she finds that wholemeal bread doesn’t produce the same symptoms as white bread. Might be worth switching to try this out. The problem with gluten-free bread is that texture is very cakey because of the lack of gluten. I found it really difficult to find gluten-free bread in France and most of it was inedible. M&S make the best bread in the UK but it’s so expensive, £2.40 for 6 large slices and the same price for a small sliced loaf of 10 slices. At least here there is far more choice of gluten-free products but, in my opinion, it’s probably best to stick to foods that are naturally gluten-free rather than trying to find a “fix” for flour-based products.

1 Like

We do a 50:50 sarrasin:whole meal flour soda bread which we like. And sooooo easy - no kneading, no proving, stir it together and pop in oven!

You can make it with 100% buckwheat/sarrasin which is an option for coeliacs.

1 Like

My nieces ex boyfriend had serious issues with wheat (not just gluten) and it didn’t just affect his gut but he would turn red and begin to itch. Being in a relationship she tended to have what he did and realised she felt better generally and has stuck to gluten free since. I think intolerances to all sorts of are more common than we realise and are not to be dismissed

2 Likes

This report certainly opened my eyes…I will have to try and ‘pluck out’ some of the more relevant parts later as it’s rather long to watch. If I can also find the part that says that the French company who harvest tomato seeds in India pay 0,40 cents a day to a child to work in 30° in the shade I will post it.
The fact also that they know that the nutrition values have been radically altered but hey it gives a longer shelf life and better looking, though tasteless,tomato is there too.
Poor Kitty couldn’t get to sleep, I was shouting at the tele in disgust ! :pouting_cat:

I have been buying seeds from this UK company, not only do they also encourage using your ‘own’ seed, their website also gives great gardening tips…

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

hope to find an equivalent seed company in France or will have to polish up my french very quickly so I can converse with the neighbors over their choice of vegetable plants

This one’s not bad

https://www.fermedesaintemarthe.com/CT-6810-nos-varietes-maintenues.aspx