Fuel costs

Thanks Rosie…

Our loft space is actually attics… and it is full of stuff… so your system would not work for us.

All the rooms below have insulated ceilings… and the corridor too, hopefully not much heat escapes into the attics…

Maybe it appears simple to buy by weight but remember that wood contains moisture and the greater the moisture, the heavier the wood.

True, but there are standards for moisture content, or at any rate suppliers usually list it - typically 20-25%

Yup there is the link i posted a couple of days ago.

But then the stone is good in the Summer so you don’t (usually) need airconditioning - swings and roundabouts?

It IS worth checking to see what offers are around especially for old, renovation projects. It is usually ‘support money’ but insulation tends to be regarded as a key area for assistance, as does double-glazing. We even got 30% rebate from the Government (French) for installing a full heat-pump system. I can’t deny it was still expensive, but 30% back is nothing to be sneezed at, ditto with full the double-glazing throughout.
We looked at it as really being an investment in the house as none of it is portable. Added value and all that.

Maddie’s in Finistère so possibly less need for A/C in the summer anyway :slight_smile:

The problem with stone is that, not only is it surprisingly leaky of heat even given typical thicknesses of 800mm or more old stone cottages are often draughty. Plus, the reason stone is good in summer is its very large thermal capacity so it takes a lot of heat to turn a cold stone wall into a warm stone wall. Once you’re there the property will likely be cosy enough if cold draughts are dealt with but you’ll need to keep pouring the heat in to keep it that way.

1 Like

Can’t say I hve ever had the problem warming the stone in the three old stone houses I have lived in France over the past 20 years or so, including the one in the Jura, but you are quite right about draughts? Double-glazing fixes the most obvious ones, and also putting the foam ‘slip-ones’ underneath internal doors makes a big difference. The new one to us was having cellars (caves) under the house but above ground - we live on a severe slope. Checking and packing the old wood floors was also a major saver, plus putting insulation under the floors (but on the ceiling of the cellars themselves).
Walking around with a lighted candle is a very good way of seeing where draughts occur . Most of these are simple to fix one way or another.

1 Like

Once my stone house is warm it takes surprising little heat to keep it cosy. The big problem is heating up a cold stone from scratch but that is not a problem in a permanent home. I love my stone house, cool in the summer and comfortable in the winter. No draught either. I know a placo box would be cheaper to heat but life is to short to live that way.

The wetter the wood is the heavier it will be…

Hi, thanks for this. We have a downstairs bedroom above which is our loft that we use for storage-old suitcases, Diplomas, LP’s- you get the idea. Presumably we would clear it before they pumped the foam, but then can it no longer be used? Is the foam hazardous? Thanks, Roger

not sure it is such a tiny hatch don’t know if i could see or not

thanks

I looked into grants for insulation and stuff some years back but after I read the small print I decided not to go ahead. Can’t remember the details but if the property ceased being my résidence principale within a certain number of years (10 years?), ie if I sold it or if it became my résidence secondaire, I would have had to pay it all back. This was on the ANAH scheme.

Another good one for free insulation:

https://www.mescomblesgratuits.fr/

You need to clear the loft prior to inspection. The insulation is no different to using rolled insulation, therefore after the job is done you can then place loft boards into the loft and use the loft space how you wish. It is NOT foam, and is certainly not hazaedous otherwise it would not be used.

1 Like

Thank you Rosie, that is very helpful. I have been meaing to get the rest of my records down & old photos & diplomas for ages. Seeing some of their videoes it reminded me of the cavity wall insulation we had in UK. Also good to know we can put the rather random boards back.
Thanks again,
Roger

Just for info… which some might find useful…

The past few weeks we have been using a side door, (via the utility room) rather than the front door. This avoids the cold blast from the outside, rushing into the main part of the house up the stairs and… beyond.

Instead the chill is softened somewhat. It can be, and is, contained. This has resulted in a noticeable improvement in the overall comfort of the house and we have used less wood/fuel. :grinning:

I lose some heat through my front door. I have DIY double glazed it with clear plastic and foam sealing tape but still some loss. Cannot put up a curtain as mum needs access.

Will have to see how the budget stands for replacing it, but after some major expenses last year might have to wait a bit. :frowning:

Hi Ann… we had to replace ours some years ago… got the best we could at that time…(didn’t eat for a week :wink:)… and it is only when it opens that the arctic enters the house…

Now that OH has tidied the Utility (posh name for glory-hole)…we are making an effort to use that entrance/exit… and it really has made a difference.