Funny....but depressed

The terrible thing about depression is that it may come out of nowhere to affect someone who has everything to live for and nothing we as bystanders can do makes a blind bit of difference.

I am shocked to be that impotent bystander.

..absolutely Barbara, conversation is a huge help to a lot of people, sadly not all, but then he had been to hell and back again who knows how many times, when you have an addictive nature, that sadly rarely goes away...and for me personally I'll say I'm very sad as another talent has been lost, and say RIP...he's a peace, but feel so very sad for his nearest and dearest and as for the rest of us, thank goodness we have some wonderful clips where he's entertaining us the public and lots of films to enjoy and remember him by... :)

lots of wisdom.

And, for sure many of you have been close to the edge of that cliff but

caught yourself just in time and fell on safe ground.

You probably do not talk about it because it is "not the thing to do"

A person with a high profile is not allowed to be depressed or unhappy

as fame and money brings all.

But it does not.

I quite agree with Barbara as regards conquering depression and addictions, we are not equal as human beings, another problem is that sufferers can't always be made, or are willing to talk

By the way, I really dislike the title Funny... but depressed

but if you have not had depression (not just feeling down!!!) you don't think of anything like - counting your blessings wont help. Learnt a lot years ago as a Samaritan - they are in a black hole and nothing helps unless they can permanently go to sleep..........

So if it were Robbie Williams would you not be sad Shirley ?

So, so true. I wonder (but do not respond) how many people on here have tried, who have had someone close who has or at least tried or had some other link to suicide(s)? The same for depression which so often leads people past the point of despair to where there is only that conclusion? It is ironic in a world so full of violence where we see death by the most barbaric means in the daily news, hear and see about the innocents suffering and then, if I dare to say, we see so many who some of us might believe have no right to live who seem invulnerable to any attempts to get rid of them. It is our common eventual fate, but that it is brought forward for so many by their own hand or of others in a world that seems never to learn still staggers me each time.

Yes ditto Lea : "well said Trish".

A sad day, poor man :-(

Well said Trish.

depression is something that takes over people lifes in many degrees no matter who they r. i had a girlfriend/neighbour in Australia that suicided and couldnt live with her mental illness. people with depressiin r very fragile and some use addictive drugs to keep going. people only suicide when they r suffering on the inside something we cant see. yes talking is the way to reach out. sometimes it may not work but we all have to try as this society is unfortunatelt a very materialistic lacking emphathy and compassion.

Well said Peter.

Well put Barbara. Paraphrasing Antonio Banderas this morning, " he was a funny man who entertained people all over the world, making people laugh in these times is very hard work..."

We can't know or understands what drives a person to take such action. When we watch the horrors of ethnic cleansing in Irak or the tragic sage that is Gaza for example, just how many of us REALLY count our blessings in our relatively peaceful existence in this great country ?

I certainly do...

It seems like there are quite alot of people who end their days by design or by some self destructive momentum. Immediately one hears of a death like this it's good to remember not just that person, and a big thank you Robin, but those we knew better who had similar problems. Quite often it's those people we ultimately remember, not the vast majority that sometimes silently and in their corner let life pass by. Behan, Thomas, Hancock, Kerouac, Burton, Reed etc, etc etc.......

Yes, my lot watched Hook last Saturday and my first thought was 'poor Peter Pan'.

NANU - NANU ! Rest in peace Robin. You gave me a lot of pleasure & I thank you for that.