Gardening questions and chat!

Yes they look healthy. Agatha’s are second earlies, let them flower. The damaged leaves… Looks like something has had a good munch and caused a slight bit of damage, you could take the damaged leaves off or just leave them but keep an eye on further dévelopement. You can start to harvest when the leaves die back, unless you want the space to replant leave the potatoes in the ground for a couple more weeks this will give them time for the skins to harden and they’ll store better.

1 Like

OK flowers OK, awesome!!! We just went and cut any damage off.

Oh interestingly the worst ones had ants on them and I just read that they purposely kill off damage around insect bites on the leaves.

2 Likes

We always grow second earlies - usually Charlottes although they are a bit susceptible to blight. I don’t know if it’s true for all potatoes but you can plant Charlottes later if you want to get an autumn crop. Some people like to arrange for new potatoes at Christmas that way but it sounds rather risky to me…

1 Like

Lidl had sweet potato plants in today and, since I’ve never grown them and they seem incredibly expensive elsewhere, I thought I’d give them a go. However, I haven’t a clue how to grow them! Obviously I can look these things up but I’m sure someone recently said they just planted some (@wozza ???) so I’m looking for some personal advice :smiley:

Brilliant, thanks for the heads up, I’ll try mine tomorrow. I bought an organic one to make my own slips but presumably it’s way too late now. As you say, expensive elsewhere, one plant costs as much as 1kg of them so not worth it! How much were they?

1 Like

We plant them in half barrels that we have, maybe a foot odd of compost in them and just water them, we got a bumper crop last year as they were all the way down to the bottom of the barrel, very easy to grow.

2 Likes

Hi Angela,
Not me, I’ve never grown them, but I do know they like heat and sun, I’ve seen people grow them up trellis they can get pretty tall.

2 Likes

Can’t quite remember - something like 5.99 for 6?

1 Like

I use this method to get my SP slips to grow each year.

1 Like

Oh that ils cheap! Will go after work :smile:

When do you start them?

End of Feb, start of March as they grow quite quickly, I use the toothpick method on avecado as well.

1 Like

I think I’ve got an Avocado growing in a pot… don’t remember planting the stone, but I reckon that’s what it is… lives outside winter and summer… evergreen leaves stay throughout the most ghastly weather…

Think I need to plant my purchases out now… fingers crossed though - almost everything I’ve sown this year has died or been dug up or pooed on :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Damn none in my Lidl :sob:

So sorry, @toryroo :cry: They weren’t in the catalogue for ours so it was a bit of a surprise to see them! Still, thanks to @Griffin36 you can start growing your own come next February (what a weird process that is…)

1 Like

2 Likes

Lovely, @Griffin36 !!

Having just looked up sweet potatoes, I see they are related to morning glory and bindweed - are they climbers as well? If so, how do you support them?

The variety I use don’t grow to a great height and are more bushy so they just trail, the original ones I just used 3 canes tied at the top as we have a lot of bamboo here.

1 Like

Can someone explain to me the attraction of sweet potatoes?
I find them greatly overrated.
I love celeriac however and often make potato and celeriac mash or celeriac chips.