Gender ‘Apartheid’ in Iran

Let’s hope that the young modern educated women of Iran do become the comet that wipes out the dinosaurs of a corrupt, repressive and brutal regime.

I’ve just read that these dinosaurs have only three aims – “Death to America”, “Death to Israel”, and “The compulsory veiling of Women”.

These are the diktats of powerful and hateful old men, guilty of gender apartheid – time they went.

2 Likes

Trouble is, it needs a fundamental change to “Islam”, not forgetting that a lot of the young , brainwashed Iranian men probably want to become like their current leaders. Absolute power corrupts absolutely

You may be right but this time there seems to be much more support from modern young men, students, merchants, oil workers and others.

As in Ukraine a brutal response may well engender a greater consolidated outrage right across Iran.

Good heavens…!

1 Like

We can hope it’s true, but what will they replace it with?

2 Likes

I was incredulous when I read this sentence -
The first officer claimed that the women had made sexual advances and he had recited Sigheh, a private and verbal temporary marriage that can make intercourse permissible.

As a student in Manchester many of my neighbours in Whalley Range were middle class and wealthier Iranian students mainly doing business studies or archittecture. They were also very polarising, one had a Lamborghini that he used to park on meters outside M/c Poly’s John Dalton building and another student was employed to feed the meter.

Years later, because of these memories, I was somewhat ambivalent when the Shah was deposed and my stepfather, who used to do a lot of business in Iran, suddenly saw it all dry up…

Today, it is governed by a clerical gerontocracy who seem less and less able to make economic decisions and I believe the Revolutinary Guard are actually a pragmatic rather than ideologically driven organisation, who will switch sides if it will help them survive.

There is no limit to the perverse squirming to get away with stuff and weasellishly appear to be in accordance with some bit of specious yet enforceable mediaeval legal mental masturbation.

6 Likes

Read up on “Dancing Boys” in Middle Eastern culture.

If you have a strong stomach.

It’s not really the tool (religion) it’s more the way it’s used (by men to be mysoginistic) that’s the issue.

To decide it’s just an Islamic problem is the same as saying all modern western domestic violence is a Catholic issue. When, in fact, the church of England was derived from a king so that he could murder his unwanted wife.

Religion though, is a particularly problematic type of collective delusional thinking that has a helluva lot to answer for.

I’m sure we’d all agree that dogma is not a good plan whatever it’s applied with

A man who is humanist has just been sentenced to 24 years in prison in Northern Nigeria for proclaiming his views.
That is the religion, Islam, which refuses worldwide to allow freedom of speech.

As I’ve suggested before, religion and politics are often inseparable. Is imprisoning a man for undermining one form of political power any different from Putin locking up those protesting the war?

The problem is seldom faith, whatever you think of that, but human-centric views.

2 Likes

I agree personally, that faith in a supernatural imaginary being, is what causes the errors in thinking

It’s not easy to challenge that though. Especially faced with other religious zealots who just claim theirs is the real one

I think that’s self-evident (that belief in an imaginary being causes errors in thinking).

Obviously, if the supernatural being were not imaginary, then belief in the being would be supremely logical.

1 Like

Divorce not murder, it was Katherine if Aragon he needed to be divorced from.
Executing Anne Boleyn wasn’t a problem from the point of view of the church because they weren’t married in the eyes of the church anyway. K of A’s death from natural causes signed Anne’s death warrant pretty much.

4 Likes

Totally agree with you…….someone actually speaking reality at long last…….two faced……unelected …….never been audited by accountants……corrupt……we could both go on…….but thank you for the honesty!
Thank God we left the EU and thank God for Brexit! Thank you for your honesty!

? I think you may be thanking the wrong person :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

:troll: maybe?

I think they may be on the wrong site. :wink:

1 Like