General discussions

How is house insurance assessed? Thank you

@fabien

Fabien, please can you give a reply to this question… :thinking:

Evening Rosemary, not sure about the perimeter of your question but in France we don’t do house insurance or I should say that we only do House & Content insurance (packaged). The house itself is never to be assessed as it’s always insured up to the reconstruction value (well technically there are some limits but they are literally in the million(s) and that’s the reason why we exclude buildings like castles and big houses on ‘regular’ policies). The reconstruction value is itself assessed by the expert or assessor in case of a claim and in the unlikely event where the house is completely wiped out then they’ll revert to the plans as recorded on the cadastral office at the Mairie. For all those reasons you never declare the value of the houes on a French home insurance policy… Have I answered the question? :wink:

Rosemary… can you expand a little on your enquiry ???

YES that is what I thought. Thank you

I am looking into changing my House insurance etc and wondered how they assess the house value - contents ie furniture will only be known by me as everyone is different

Rosemary, if you check your current House Insurance Policy you can see how the building is described (number of rooms etc etc)… that is certainly on my Policy…

If nothing has changed since you took out the Policy, that will presumably be the base which any Insurance Company will use to decide upon a rebuild-figure. :thinking: