General Gardening chat

Jilly
I am hardly a potato expert, but potatoes do need more potash than nitrogen. Chicken poo is mainlt nitrogen, but a little will not do any harm, and nitrogen is soon washed out.
I find a mixture of well rotted manure and soil is enough to give you a good crop. Just watch out for blight, which will decimate your tomaotes in weeks. Keep the two crops well apart.

Can someone advise please, I have cut a water butt in half, filled it up to 6" of soil, but not sure what I should put in there as a feed nitrogen I think, but what I was wondering is that we have some chicken poo about 9 months old with earth and strawm could I mix some of that in with it as feed instead before I plant the potatoes?

Would be grateful for any replies.

Yes at last! Isn’t it fantastic!

Yes of course have been trying to upload it for the last 30 mins, but having problems hopefully this works

here - even…

Please post it her too Jill in case people don’t want to ‘switch’ sites and are busy on SFN - thanks!!

Euphorbia grows like mad here in my garden, I thought it was a weed as it is so prolific, so thanks for the info!

Who would like to see a pic of a 35 headed giant sunflower!!!
it’s unreal have a look at my blog at www.lamaisondesfleurs.com

thanks Wendy
I just read the page, quite worrying. We’ve got young children coming this summer, I think I shall keep them away or at least find out exactly which variety it is.

Regards
Stuart

@Stuart, watch out for the milky sap in Euphorbias, if you get it on your skin it causes burning and irritation http://www.theamateursdigest.com/epoisons.htm

Thank you Mary, I just googled it and you are spot on:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plant-detail/PL020001385/306/spurge

Hi Stuart,
It looks like a type of Euphorbia to me. Very ornamental but they grow wild around here. Nice in the garden but could be a bit invasive. I grow them in Canada in my perennial garden. It will come back every here. Google Euphorbia and see if you think it is a variety.
Cheers,
Mary

Hello everyone
I posted a macro of this plant in the photo group. This is the full size plant. Can anyone tell us what it is please?

Thanks in advance.

By the way, it’s my wife Nathalie who is the gardener, not me!!

Some of you know that last year I grew courgette plants, but they died on me! practically unknown, could never understand why as I have never had a problem.

But I am persevering again this year and I have just seen my first seedling coming up! feel so excited LOL seems very big to what I remember before, wonder if it’s because I have sown the round variety???

Just to let you all know my competition is on now for some free seeds, go over to my blog and try your luck http://bit.ly/fOsyyq Bit of fun as well!

Ok I gave in and joined tonight. But i have had a good idea how to keep your seeds warm.
Read my comments on your blog!

You say the nicest things Steve! Look forward to speaking to you on my blog!

I don’t have an airing cupboard unfortunately, I have a longere, so everywhere is cold! but at the moment I have my tom seeds in our office, we have 3 computers running in a converted bedroom so that gives off warmth, but I have no windowsills, so thats why they are straining their necks to get to the light! Oh for an English windowsill!! I have some other seeds in our bedroom and I move them around all day long on the floor following the sun, full time job this LOL

How could I resist such an invitation Jill. I will pop over to your blog in the morning.
As for the seeds, tomato seeds need a little more warmth than most, so can be temprimental little sods. Keep them in the airing cupboard, until they show at this time of year, is my advice. Although looking at the last post on my blog, I have not taken my own adice!

Hi Steve,

Yes I remember you saying to me you were rather busy with your new venture, so I know what it’s like! I have sown a packet of tomato seeds the tiny ones, but only 5 have come up, makes you wonder why!

Why don’t you come over and join my blog, could do a little post on your toms if you like!

Jill

Hi Jill
Thanks for the comment on my tomato blog, lets hope this nice weather helps all our seeds germinate. I have been in growing hibernation mode for too long myself this winter.
Steve