Gers?

No one had mentioned Marciac and its Jazz! Just another plus for the Gers. We go most years to the two week festival which is far from quiet and the new concert hall now means a year long programme. But as everyone agrees, the scenery is beautiful. However, when we looked into living there ,we thought there would be a lot driving if you wanted anything specific as the towns are quite spread. Whilst this is not a problem for most things , I would advise you look into your medical problem and where you might have to travel to for treatments before you settle on an area to glistening. My husband has specific medical needs and sometimes a longer journey is the last thing you need when feeling unwell! Good luck. Where ever you decide,you're unlikely to regret your decision as you've obviously been planning carefully!

I lived in Devon for over a decade so have a pretty good idea of the climate - winters in the Gers aren't going to be a whole lot different - damp and not too cold but often colder than devon. What you said about ok for holidays could also apply to the gers too. Think hard about what you're after regarding climate, the south west and south east of france are two different countries climatically speaking. Are you after warmth or dry air...? Beware, rural Gers, and rural France in general, can be very, very rural compared to rural UK - an hour's drive to get anywhere, it seems that life just stops over the winter, etc. In an ideal world I'd rent first, get an idea of the area and climate and look while you're out here but I appreciate that that wouldn't be too easy with horses! At least you're here asking questions - non of these forums existed when I came out, everything had to be done alone!

Bonne chance ! ;-)

Yeh im ok with that.There's really little warmth here.Plus Devon isnt what it's cracked up to be.Fine for Holidays but thats it in my eyes

Sorry to hear of your problems, Roxanne, but be aware - although much warmer than Devon in the summer, it can be colder in the winter...

Hi Thank you for your helpfull insight :)

We have 5 horses and looking to expand.We want to set up a retirement livery for older horses out there.We want to be able to cut our own hay ect to save on cost's so its essential we have plenty of land to rotate ect.

This has been 3 years in the making,we are not rushing and but doing things the long right way.I know of people that move to the first place they visit,and feel very isolated and want to come back.

This has been our dream for many years,alot of saving and time has gone into our decision and it's ofcourse the right one for us.I know it wont be a bed of roses,but we are well prepared for what life will throw at us out there.

My main reason for moving is to have my horses on the doorstep,i could never afford that here.Plus i have a bone condition,so the warmer temps will help me massivly.Even my Doctor said French Doctors are much better equipped to deal with skeletal Disorders than British doctors.I want that slow relaxed lifestyle that i just dont get here.

I know my dream will come true out there,we just have to find what is right for myself,partner and animals.As they are number 1 :)

Thanks

oh thats good news.looks like it has alot to offer there :)

there's plenty of it and la pression foncière isn't as bad as it is elsewhere!

We are looking for somewhere with plenty of land.And when i search,prices seems so reasonable in Gers.

It seem's perfect for what we want to achieve

Oh yes that's a good start :D

and if you needed any more encouragement see here ;-)

It's out of the way, but beautiful and packed with good food and drink, not to mention sights! It's becoming more and more sought after, and I can imagine it becoming a popular holiday retreat in the next decade so go for it!

I think I would go for some place around Armagnac, but I haven't been there for many years now and it could have changed quite a bit.

gers is beautiful, a bit out of the way (not even a motorway through it) Armagnac, geese. but not much else. This said, I was in Auch the other day and unlike Blessed Marmande they were several very busy restaurants, they all sounded good and the one we picked was fantstic. It was a week day in November...

The cathedral is worth a detour thousands of wood carvings in the choir.

You surprise me about the low prices as when we came here I did want to go in the Gers but found it more expensive than the Lot et Garonne.

Good luck

As long as you don't need to find work or want bright lights and lots going on then it's a lovely part of france (not too different to devon)