Get screws

(James Higginson) #1

Ever since arriving in France 10 or so years ago, I’ve been on the lookout for an equivalent to the UK online DIY site ‘screwfix’. We’ve done a lot of renovation work and their prices are excellent, I’ve even gone to the trouble of getting someone to forward me a delivery from the UK on occasion.

Great news then, that one of our newest members, Tony Cox has launched a similar site for us here in France.

I’ve already placed an order with him, the stuff turned up well packaged just a couple of days later.

Tony is also now one of our advertisers, and is offering a 10% discount to SFN members.

So do me a favour and help support SFN by heading over to http://www.screwpak.com and placing an order with him. You’ll find the discount code on the banner at the top of the page.

Thanks!

James

(Andy McNee) #2

Thanks to you Tony, I will email some suggestions of things i buy in the uk and bring over, I have had a better look at your site and found most of the things I am looking for. I wish you all the success.

(Tony Cox) #3

Firstly, I would like to thank James for this write-up and all the Survive France members for their support and kind words.

I thought I should give you an insight into what Screwpak is all about. I decided to start this project after 34 years working as a builder, the last 9 years here in France. I felt there was a need for alternatives to what was available here in lines which I now stock. I also felt there was a demand to provide a service, which is not always readily available in France (although I must say I always had excellent service from my local Datas - the manager has been brilliant). Before launching my website I spent a large amount of money and over 6 months in planning. In other words, this hasn’t been done on a whim.

If you haven’t already done so, please have a look at the website and let me know what you think (I prefer your comments by email please). If you think there are other items I should stock, let me know and I will do my best to obtain them.

I am starting a monthly newsletter to talk about products I have in stock and their uses, promote new lines and inform subscribers of special offers. In the long term I would like to have some input from other people, and write articles about building and products. To subscribe, just enter your email address on the home page – it’s free!

My main aim is to set up a network of distributors across France so that the customer will be able to get free delivery on a weekly basis. I intend to set this up over the coming months.

I would like to ask a favour of anyone reading this who uses my line of products. If we can achieve free delivery, would you buy from www.screwpak.com? If you could email me your thoughts I would be very grateful. I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks again

Tony Cox

(Stuart Wilson) #4

Hi Andy. I have looked at toolstation went right through the order process but then didn’t get the choice other than UK addresses. So I’m assuming that unless you make arrangements with them thay don’t deliver to France. You can’t even create an account online other than with a UK address.

(Andy McNee) #5

I have already had a look and will place an order soon, Screwfix are part of the kingfisher group, ie castorama, bricodepot in france and B+Q in the uk. I know a B+Q regional manager and he says bricodepot makes the most profit of all it’s outlets.
I imagine introducing screwfix over here would eat into that.
back in the Uk I discovered “toolstation” very similar to screwfix but cheaper which I think is owned by the Travis Perkins group. I have not looked into if they delivery to France

(Kent Shelley) #6

Just an aside: I once had a chat with a Screwfix manager and asked them how many people were there taking orders/answering phones: at that time it was 600. So, with the average phone order taking about a minute, and most folk ordering AT LEAST £50 worth to get free delivery, and them running a 12 hour day all week + online orders - Phew!!! I’ll leave you to do the math…

(Kent Shelley) #7

That’s great news. I used Screwfix a lot in the UK and, like yourself, I’ve ordered and had friends bring stuff over or collected it when in the UK. Screwfix just don’t want to know about delivering to France. Myself, I think they’re missing out on a BIG market of Brit renovators who get a bit freaked by French brico - and even proper builder’s yard prices. I even considered doing what Tony has done, but I don’t have the capital, so I’m glad someone has gone for it.
I’ll be off to make my list then…

(Patrick Durand-Peyroles) #8

It’s done!

(James Higginson) #9

He’s on Facebook too, please click here and ‘like’ his page, such great business ideas need to be promoted, he’s on 40 ‘likes’ at the moment, let’s see what we can do to get the word out for him.

Thanks

James

(Valerie Skinner) #10

Superb idea. Great resource. Thank you.