Gilet Jaunes blockages were the final straw

I didn’t. But I saw a report, the channel escapes me for the moment, showing people living in those circumstances that I believe, were what prompted the first protests.
Nothing mentioned about immigration, etc., just people struggling to survive every month. They weren’t all protesters either.

I cannot find out what items the GJ actually want added to the list of things already “favourably taxed”.

I think you missed the point here David - My French family, and it is huge, do not need or welcome advice or being pointed in the right direction especially not from me - it would be an insult to their intelligence. As for me l am able to use the internet browser quite efficiently now and l did ask you to share info from some of your sources that l cannot get from watching TV news channels, reading a whole range of French and International publications and scouring the internet.
I am still waiting😕

2 Likes

Ok Dan , sorry you didn’t appreciate that. I did have ready a list of a few sources this morning and was going to post it straight after but unfortunately it seems yet again being a new member still in his first day here I am being restricted to different posting limits . Sometimes I post 4 posts and have to wait an hour to post again , sometimes one post and four hour wait . Hence my thinking on inbox or email which you made no comment on .I’m not going to do the list again but I just googled ’independant media’s’ the first result up was this one , I didn’t watch the videos just looked at the list and straight away I found a few that I consult and one that I’m subscribed to( Mediapart). Again I do not believe everything I read and like to research sources before making any thoughts. There are many fake news and satiric sites around too than can sometimes be too easily believed and passed on. https://bonnesnouvellesinfo.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/sites-dinformation-independants/
Édit: https://www.mediapart.fr/journal/international/dossier/notre-dossier-laffaire-bettencourt
Continued on my next comment Dan

Hi Stella , it wasn’t about adding to a list it was more getting rid of completely the 5.5% tax on premier necessity products , the link posted earlier gives an idea of these elements. Bread , milk, flour…
Édit for Dan 2: https://www.mediapart.fr/journal/france/dossier/notre-dossier-l-affaire-macron-benalla
https://www.mediapart.fr/journal/france/dossier/notre-dossier-gilets-jaunes-la-revolte-des-oublies
Sorry for editing here for Dan Stella , as a new member in my first day I am limited to 2 links on each comment.

It is sickening. Try logging onto your local Gilet Jaune Facebook group and asking them if they are proud of themselves! I did that after blockades of a roundabout near Auchan, Castres, caused the whole Centre commercial to lose over 30% of its normal trade befroe Christmas, resulting in at least two shops closing and Auchan having to give backword to 60 temporary staff they were intending to employ. Needless to say, I never got a response from the GJ - irresponsible lot!

2 Likes

Now, of whom does that remind you of? :thinking:

2 Likes

She can go on waiting, the Attorney General has returned with the same reply as each tine before.

I have to immediately (belatedly) correct myself as it wasn’t Melenchon’s Mob being covered exclusively but LREM. Doesn’t change the thrust of my argument though. Single party coverage unless done on an organised basis (eg same for all) is not a good thing.

1 Like

I lived and worked in 12 countries before I retired to live in France (and get French Nationality) and my clear understanding was that living and working in another country without planning on permanently living there - e.g contracted workers meant I was an 'expatriate (and subject to being expatriated if I was a bad boy ie deported)

Until the EU changed the rules expats were expected to pay their own way - including tax on their earnings, getting expat health insurance etc., and not being a drain on the host society and offending the culture. See BUPA ‘expat insurances’, the Hungarian site ‘xpat.loop.com’ as examples of term usage.

On the other hand I emigrated to Australia and was therefore an Immigrant as it had been my intention to stay there permanently.

I suppose others have a different interpretation but until and unless you take up Nationality in a foreign country you are still a foreigner yourself aren’t you?

Surely repatriated?

1 Like

Grammar is not one of my great achievements, but I seem to think being ‘repatriated’ is being returned to one’s country, whilst being expatriated means just being kicked out? However I stand to be corrected on that

Il était une fois…La France…

Versus Saturday 16 March 2019 :cry::cry::cry:

ChampsElysees

Worth it ?

Undoubtedly someone will appear to justify all of this in the name of the “greater good” the jilly joneses are supposedly pursuing but as far as I’m concerned, the jillies can get f’d. It’s no longer a movement for anything, just a great big massive wrecking ball.

Although as of late they haven’t managed to get a group going on the local roundabout so I guess support (and stamina) are flagging. Even the local hyper-GJ lady (who not only wears a GJ with slogans all day, but has 2 in her car) has stopped wearing hers and now looks rather… sheepish when asked about it. (Yes, I’m an asshole like that :smiley: )

1 Like

Your top photo… could almost have had OH and I in it…our first trip to France. We parked just a little further away and walked along the pavement… soaking-up the atmosphere… then we sat drinking (can’t remember what) in the sunshine…thrilled to be there… :hugs:

Half a life-time later and it is more like a war zone… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

This weekend was the first time I’ve heard anyone presenting the news speaking of the GJ’s being “infiltrated”…
Some weeks ago, a police spokesman said that they knew or recognised some of the “casseurs” be they extreme left or right…it surprised me then, that these people were not removed from circulation, & a certain amount of order returned to what started out as a peaceful protest.
The scenes this weekend were a disgrace. I’m no advocate of aggressive policing but my impression is that it’s been left to degenerate somewhat…for whatever reason.
Whatever the GJ’s were at the beginning, they appear to have become something completely unrecognisable as regards their original motives.

3 Likes

I guess that’s what happens when you make your police force ‘impotent’ and don’t provide them with either the tools or the backing to do their job. Outrageous and terribly, terribly sad.