Going back to UK...Help

After long debates and discussions we have now decided to return to UK next year when our tenants will be leaving (we hope!)..lots of reasons, but ultimately think our time here is up. The problem we have now is trying to get car insurance, it appears that once you are out of the UK for more than 2 years your NCB disappears forever even if you continue driving here in France. Does anybody know of any insurance which would take into account our NCB. Our car insurance here in France is MMA..

Thanks

Hi John, yes I have found Aviva with help and have asked MMA to translate our NCB certificate into English and then they will accept it....thanks anyway...

Some years ago I insured an (expensive) car in the UK with an NCB cert from Dubai let alone the EU. Just shop around.

i've heard of a retired British couple in my village who have reserved a plot in the village cemetery. The wife is very well integrated into the community & organises village events, dinners & fetes etc. I think it sometimes depends on the village & community, they have lots of friends in the village and have decided it's France till the end. We've also had a couple of British families of 3 generations in our village. For one the grandparents moved first & the children followed with the grandchildren. Everyone copes with separation from family differently. I know my mum will miss her grandchildren when we're back in France - but if you are reading mum this is not an invitation to relocate chez nous :) although I know she'd love to live in France - perhaps one day :)

ah Maria - I love going in the Docklands Museum to see what Poplar used to be like - and I enjoyed watching the BBC's Call the Midwife too as it showed the old dock areas. My grandad used to deliver here when he was a HGV driver - he wouldn't believe what it's like now. It is a funny place London - turn the corner and you are back in the most undesirable of places...though many of France's cities are the same - Marseille, Toulouse...lots want to live there but it depends where exactly. I'm lucky my hubby has rented a place right next door to his work so I'm surrounded by the hip, young, footloose and fancy free mostly Chinese, Indian and French city dwellers (the banker boys depicted by the media are not so obvious to spot these days - perhaps they're drinking Tesco Champagne indoors instead of Krug). But yes it is a fun place to be & you are absolutely right - I do have the best of both worlds for now. I can see the positives and negatives of living in both London and South of France as well as Big City, Petite Village.

I am looking forward to having a garden though, London has great parks but on a rainy day I don't want to drag the kids on the tube to get to them and just wish I could let them work off some energy in between downpours so for bringing up our kids - it's the South of France which is where my heart is really though London will always be a special place for us.

Wow Suzanne ... sounds like you have the best of both worlds...Canary Wharf eh?? My Grandad used to live there and it was a right old ****hole, now everyone would love to live there!!! Think you might just get yourself a smartphone before coming back here, very handy for the internet whilst lying on the sofa...had to laugh about your Mum and Dad ...

He currently works in the UK but he still has a little Auto-Entrepreneur income stream in France as a sideline. He's effectively resident in both countries. We only have a home in France (he rents in London alongside his current contract work) but he could easily be in Dublin, Germany or any other EU country. The only reason I'm here this time is because we decided to have our 3rd baby close in age to No 2 and my pregnancy with No 2 was tricky when he was away.

I think you'll find it easy back in the UK - there is less paperwork and you can do so much more online now than when I left - things seem a lot more efficient (possibly smoke & mirrors). Food appears cheaper (albeit possibly lesser quality/more bulk produced?) but the pace of life is definitely different for us. That could be because we are in Canary Wharf where everyone is rushing about whereas in France we live in a little village but it does seem everyone is online, wired and zooming around. I've managed to resist getting a smartphone so far but crikey even my Dad has one - it's like when I'm in France I can sort of ignore all the technical wizardry going on - why do I need GPS on my phone to go to the Boulangerie? But here in London it would be really useful sometimes and I am very tempted to get a Tablet PC (apparently will be the Christmas present of choice this year in the UK and my mum is thinking of buying herself one for Christmas) so I am now feeling like the left behind kid.

Re: insurance - we kept ours in the UK with Stuart Collins who issue a 365 day green card as long as the car goes to the UK once a year - which we always did. Main reason being we changed our car (it's LHD but we bought it cheap in the UK) and didn't have the right paperwork to transfer it over. The garage in France wanted some ridiculous amount to issue a certificate of conformity - you have just reminded me though to ask in the UK before we go back to France as we probably will change it to French plates next year. But your point about insurance is a good one for us - to think about in terms of making sure we get our full no claims from the UK documented before we change over and then follow the paper trail in France just in case my hubby ever wants a UK car again. He'll always be working on contracts abroad, it's the nature of his work - there isn't much demand for IT consultants in the Herault :)

How annoying...so does your husband work in the UK or france?? Did you have problems getting car insurance in the UK?? I sometimes think it might be harder going back to the UK than when we came out here...

oh and I should have said - they gave my husband a card (which I use - yes I know it's naughty) but they refused to give me one as I don't work and have NO credit rating at all now! So not only did I leave the UK as an independent employed and creditworthy person I came back as 'her indoors therefore has no credit rating' even though I manage the money! Annoys me but hey ho price of being a mum and leaving the country. At least in France I have status as 'Au Foyer' and get some credit for that!

Hi Suzanne, never thought about things like that...you are right!!! As for us we really dont know whether to sell our house in the UK and stay there or come back and buy here in France. I guess we will know by the time we have sold, bet I'll be like you...when I'm in france I want to be in England and vica versa!!!! Unbelievable how you are treated just because you have lived in another country for more than 2 years.....

Hi Maria, it's also things like BT & mobile phones they do credit checks on. We were really shocked to have no rating even though we still have UK bank accounts and have never defaulted on anything. I wanted a John Lewis Partnership card so I could get points on my food shopping & get money back - in the end the amount they gave me in credit doesn't actually cover my monthly food shopping. It's so weird. It's like you have to be in debt to be able to do normal things like have a mobile phone contract these days! Crazy! I've enjoyed being in the UK again, it's been great seeing so much more of friends and family and I will miss them all when we are permanently back in France again but I do miss my home in France and can't wait to get back. No doubt then I'll be missing London again! C'est La Vie!

Hi Suzanne, good point about the credit rating, but somehow I think my hubby would be pleased if I had NO credit rating!!! We wont be back in the UK until April/May ...really looking forward to it now....

should have said 'if not just for voting'

One important thing to do is to get on the Electoral Roll immediately not for voting but for your credit rating, it makes a huge difference

Hi Maria - on a slightly different matter - request a copy of your experian report when you get back and check out your credit rating. We found as we'd been in France for a few years and effectively had no credit in the UK suddenly it was hard to get even basic credit for a store card etc. We had no credit rating even though before we'd had and always paid our credit on time.

Just an add on...we are not going into a care home hahaha!!!! I hope to find some part time work, and the main point in going back is to be with the family...its been good here but its time to go back....

Hi Alan, yes that is exactly what I want translated into English...I can but hope !!

Maria, now you mention translations etc, it reminded me of a document provided by French insurers for the purpose of proving one's insurance cover period. Just found it (amazing, given my lack of filing skills!) and it was called a "Releve d'Informations" and showed the period of insurance, the Coefficient of Reduction-Majoration (equivalent to NCB %) at the end of the period and the number of incidents that had occurred during the insurance period. Good luck with the move!

I understand part of the reason for returning to your country of birth if you are very elderly...is in part the whole nostalgia thing...but another interesting phenomenon is that sometimes people lose their other languages if they begin to dement.....it also is known to happen when someone is in an accident or highly stressed....and obviously not in all cases. Some people feel if they are going into a care home, they would rather be cared for and live with others that use their birth language...

Hi Carol, well I feel decidely 'aged' now lol....@Alan, I have just phoned Aviva who said they would insure us and proof of NCB is picked at random so they might not even ask us, but I will go and ask MMA to translate the letter. Aviva said they have to by law...not sure if that works here in France....