Good grief

My express wishes, too. I hope my wife will see that my going away will be like all the other partings we’ve done, without fuss. My wife never wants me to hang around to see her off at the airport, it suits her best that I leave her at the entrance to ‘Departures’, turn heel and leave. And she does the same at my departures. No ‘waving offs’! :upside_down_face:

Anything else is sentimental and childish. In African culture such displays are shunned, even children are not used as ‘props’ for emotional theatricals. As ancestral icons children are treated with dignity, and tenderness.

“When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.”

Totally agree.

I’ve asked my family when the time comes, to cremate me in the cheapest possible (legal) way and then throw the ashes into the sea.

2 Likes

No longer allowed here.
Perhaps something to do with it being distasteful for sea bathers and consumers of local shellfish?
But it is common knowledge that it still happens.

It is still legal but only in designated areas. My uncle was put into the sea just after he was cremated, there was just a wait for the ashes to cool down, it has to be organised and the area for scattering ashes is accessible only by boat.

1 Like

For goodness sake it’s only sterilised grit, not a half-eaten kebab :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:!

1 Like

But one day, whatever the means of disposal, it will return to its original state of star dust. Which is a comforting thought.

2 Likes

Hunter S Thompson had an amazing send off - it did cost 3 million dollars apparently :slight_smile:Ashes of Hunter S. Thompson blown into sky - The New York Times
Shame my leaving finances won’t suffice such a dramatic exit … lol

Quite appropriate to have his ashes blasted into the atmosphere to the music of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band!

wow didn’t realise cardboard isn’t allowed here! My dad is in a lovely woodland cemetery in Warwickshire in a lovely white cardboard coffin, he even has a view over an old brewery!

2 Likes

Did I read somewhere that the embalming ban has been lifted?

Not sure which country you’re talking about? In france if you can’t have the funeral/cremation within the timescale (5 days?) then you must pay for the person to be moved to a morgue and embalmed.

Well, you are entitled to think that. I think it is rather ungracious. How about someone leaving to go to a combat zone? Or a small child being packed off to boarding school, aged <8, as I was, from Dusseldorf airport, bound for a school close enough to Scotland to go there for away matches?

And it would obviate the lines in the song 'White Room, performed by Cream, poignant lyrics by Pete Brown, which resonate sharply with my experences of those gloomy, smokey, shabby north country stations of the '50’s and '60’s.

“Platform ticket, restless diesels, goodbye windows”

“I’ll sleep in this place with the lonely crowd
Lie in the dark where the shadows run from themselves”

Pete Brown has evidently seen someone off from Lancaster or Carnforth.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s for you to say it’s childish and sentimental, everybody finds comfort from different things and if a dramatic show (it would not appeal to me but) gives comfort to someone then so be it. A lot of harm can be done through bottling up emotions

3 Likes

And therein lies the problem of repressed emotions. Within each of us the child still lives and needs love and attention. Our child archetype often is the one that believes “it’s their fault” fears “they are not loved” goes and hides in a corner and sulks and so-on. And if we do not honour the legitimacy of those feelings as adults, if we “give up childish ways” often those emotions emerge inappropriately and damage /hurt ourselves and others. Also, childish ways is the place of fun, spontaneity, creativity. Putting aside the inner child we are impoverished.

4 Likes

Eloquent, moving and pointedly sensible response, Christopher. Thanks.

You are quite right, Eddie. It’s for each person to decide how, when and why emotional experience is to be managed. And, as you correctly say, bottling up emotion is potentially harmful for oneself, and others in relation with that self. :+1:

Your post echoes those of Eddie @Edward_Roberts and Christopher @captainendeavour, Sue and its strength is augmented by your linking the ‘inner child’ to spontaneity and creativity. I should know that, child at heart as I sometimes am, and not always appropriately :thinking::roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::broken_heart:

In France Jane.
I really must copy links as I have difficulty finding the article again.

Like me aged 4 from Nice, only mine was actually in Scotland. I was driven to the airport until I was 7, after that I usually went in a taxi by myself. I would have liked to have had someone waving goodbye.

1 Like

A relative of our recently had a sea burial just off Jersey - only a very small number of close relatives allowed (did not include us) but apparently quite a ceremony.