Good news for diabetics

Artificial pancreas to revolutionise diabetes care in England

Presumably, not the same as this from a day ago…

More of “we are leading the world” perhaps :thinking:

Don’t get me wrong, I am a T2 diabetic and anything which makes diabetes manageable is a good thing but I live in France so more of the UK hype on NHS world beating treatments is of no interest to me.

1 Like

So get on a ketogenic diet, hi fat low carb diet and re set your system to manage your insulin level without medication.

1 Like

my MT, Urologist, Cardiologist, Nephrologist, Diabetalogue, Endocrinologist and Ophthalmologist would all go nuts and throw their hands up in absolute horror :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
The local service funeraire would be quite happy though (although might mourn the loss of the regualr ambulance trips to hospitals :wink:

2 Likes

just like my Doc if I Google something… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Maybe you should remind them they havent achieved anything. You need intelligent forward looking doctor who can lower your dose of meds as required as you gain back control of your insulin.
Biggest problem for most medical people is admitting there is a better way that actually works.

3 Likes
1 Like

the fact I am still here, alive and kicking, is testament to the fact that they have achieved a considerable amount :wink:

That has been achieved… the meds I am now on are considerably less than they were - this has been achieved in France as a result of cooperation between the different disciplines I outlined in my post above :wink:

4 Likes

Ah but this is only really possible if you’ve been recently diagnosed (it says 5 years but it really needs to be sooner than that). I’ve been type 2 since 2014 and have recently lost 22 kgs with my BMI now 23 so in the healthy weight range. My last HbA1c result was just 42 (I’m in the UK and believe the French equivalent is 6%) which is the lowest value at which people are considered pre-diabetic.
My diabetic nurse has said this is a rare achievement and I’ve now come off one of my tablets but the metformin has to remain. After so long as a type 2 diabetic this is about the best I can hope for. However, having looked at all the other blood test results which are carried out at the same time as the diabetic check she says my chances of developing serious complications of diabetes (heart attack, stroke, eye conditions, problems with feet etc) are no worse than a non-diabetic.
Obviously, I’m thrilled but the medication remains and I’m still a diagnosed diabetic. If you’ve done it then well done but it’s not as easy as you make it sound. Guilt-tripping people doesn’t help either!
Hope you’re doing OK @graham and it’s good to see you back posting.
Izzy x

5 Likes

As an 83-year-old type 1 diabetic (since 2 years) I think IzzyM’s last paragraph says it all.
My interest in the ‘new’ unit is what the difference is between it and the existing pumps? I’ve managed without a pump so far, but my age is against me. Condescending replies won’t help.

2 Likes

My Cardiologist took me off metformin (3 x per day) some time ago and replaced it with a single Januvia 50mg tablet to be taken matin on account of the problems that could be caused to the heart with metformin. This means that I only take 1 tablet per day for managing the T2 diabetes which is quite sensible, in my view.
Most of the available references are from the States as you might expect. The following one (from 2014) explores the dangers of metformin in men’s health (there are separate studies on the effects on women’s health) and I’m extremely pleased that my Doctors appear to be talking with each other to find the best solutions for my health rather than just following the crowd. This seems to be the norm for French health care, in my experience. When I started on metformin, I did not have the same level of issues with my heart; these issues were discovered later and at each visit to my Cardio, he requests a copy of the current meds (as do the other disciplines) so matters are under constant review.

better news seems to be on the horizon Izzy following my latest intervention, thanks.

4 Likes

I will definitely have a look at this and do some more research. Thanks @graham.
Izzy x

1 Like

It is Not meant in that way, claims like that can often be levelled at people who dare to mention a topic. I am not affraid to bring this out in the open and discuss it.
BTW well done! Your progress is good and shows others that there are other possibilties. Interestingly doctors are trained in how to medicate but not often how to unmedicate. You have much better control over your insulin by the sound of it which has removed a lot of risk factors so keep going.
Why cant you come off metformin?

1 Like

What you said was pretty blunt and insensitive. But maybe that’s your way.
My latest blood test was just last month and although very good it was decided to reduce my medication one at a time. I chose to drop the one with side effects. Obviously that result was achieved with medication so there is a possibility of my blood sugars rising again once i stop the medication. So far so good though. It will be reviewed again after my next blood test in June.
Have you reversed diabetes in the way you described?
Izzy x

Thats good to hear IzzyM and I wish you all the best going foward and with time I am sure youll get off metformin too.

Yes 2 of my friends have gone down a similar path to you and with the help of their doctors albeit they didnt belive it would work at the time but we gave them evidence based cases to look into have now suceeded in getting off their meds. A 3rd is wavering as he just cant stop consuming sugar and fruit spirit cocktails but gently gently. I was on a pre diabetic spectrum or undiagnosed is the real truth as it was already showing the signs but now completely off of that path.

I do come across as blunt, its the way I write but not meant that way just concerned as this diabetes is knly going to get worse and huge bills for health services and bad outcomes for patients.

2 Likes

Pleased for you that you headed it off. Much simpler in the pre-diabetic stage as you discovered.
For those of us who have struggled with type 2 diabetes for years much less so and being preached to by someone who has not walked in our shoes is likely to get the reaction you got - however unintended the preaching! :slightly_smiling_face:
Take care
Izzy x

1 Like

I am uncertain of the health benefits of a high fat diet

They were more suggestions but I understand. Its so ingrained to trust only our doctors in their various forms but thankfully we are seeing alternatives to some ailments.

When you look down the isles of the average UK supermarket it is no wonder that autoimmune diseases are on the up.
Rocking people a little is no bad thing in my book, especially if someone posts about the subject. Sure they may feel a little uncomfortable for a while but better that than losing a foot or their eyesight.

In what way Lizzie1?
I am absolutely certain of the lack of benefits from a low fat diet as time has proven more people are getting metabolic syndrome than ever before.

Which is great in theory, but you don’t know peoples medical history or circumstances, what they have or have not already tried, whether it is possible or applicable for them to do so.
Making assumptions about people can be a sure way of getting their backs up, maybe treading with a little more empathy might not go amis at times :slightly_smiling_face:
Diabetes is a many faceted and complicated subject, what is applicable to one might not be to another especially when other medical conditions can be causing problems.

5 Likes