Good service - consumer rights?

you might have more success with Lidl. Generally I don't believe the frewnch believe in customer service especially in aftercare areas

I had excellent customer service from a garden machinery supplier in Bergerac. I prefer to speak as much French as I can but the technician spoke such excellent English and was so helpful that I gave up and spoke English as well. I doubt very much that a French speaker would have had such service in UK from the same sort of store. I told him so, this time in French, much to his pleasure.

When the goods are damaged when you open the packet or don't work, you are entitled to a full refund.

You might be offered a credit note instead but you're in your legal rigts to dfemand a refund instead.

If I know I'm within my rights, I just have to mention I'll see what the "Répression des Fraudes" think about it and the attitude changes :D - Quite right, and all !

I actually had to go and see them 3 times or so in 10 years and on each account was told I was right and the shops were wrong :) But then again, they don't tell you what happens next for the shop owners :(

our experience with gamm vert when similar happened - we were told that in france the normal is that if it is a mistake of 50 euros and over difference (paid by card for item) they give credit note if under they will refund cash - what they did for us was refund 49 euros in cash through the till then gave us 1 euro extra in cash

Customer service? You're having a laugh! The French don't DO customer service. End of.

whatever is written in law, reality here is different. Be prepared to stand your ground and you may win.. doubtful though in my experience.

Have a look at the useful links page www.survivefrance.com/pages/useful-links which has a section on consumer affairs.