Government desperation deepens

“One 41-year-old German man, who, along with his wife, received a copy of the letter at their London home on Friday morning, told the Independent: “We were quite surprised. I’m sure pay and conditions for HGV drivers have improved, but ultimately I have decided to carry on in my role at an investment bank.”

“My wife has never driven anything larger than a Volvo, so she is also intending to decline the exciting opportunity.”

10 Likes

I’ve slept in my van, do I qualify? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Only if you’re a forriner !

They’re calling it the Ebenezer visa :grin:

1 Like

Why??

Mark Drakeford attacks Westminster ‘failure’ over fuel crisis…

He said he had heard about the plan to allow foreign HGV drivers in for a few months before Christmas, nicknamed the “Ebenezer visa”. “On Christmas Eve we will say thank you, we don’t need you any more. It is so wrong-headed, so exploitative. It will not succeed.”

3 Likes

Another tactic soon to be employed to force retired HGV drivers back to work :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Excellent :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

They have to be out by December 24th… so Scrooge is appropriate. I know it’s just changed but I doubt that will make much difference.

There’s a photo going the rounds of a guy sitting at the wheel of a lorry. ‘Last week I was in the back of this lorry, now I’m driving it’.

2 Likes

4 Likes

And many people say that Germans don’t understand sarcasm :smile::smile::smile:

6 Likes

“My wife has never driven anything larger than a Volvo, so she is also intending to decline the exciting opportunity.”

She should do nicely then. :rofl:

4 Likes

Isn’t that a Scania :joy:

No, a Volvo F12.
This is a Scania

Looks like a V2 on the back of it.

Oh they do! They are very good with subtle wordplay. It’s very different from the British way. I also find that my British humour doesn’t translate into my German world. And vice versa. Different languages seen to go hand in hand with different ways of processing the world. Anyway, there is a plethora of satire on german TV.

2 Likes

Indeed - this is the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis - the widely held (although contested) view among linguists and philosophers that the ways our languages are structured influence the ways we see the world.

1 Like

Hard to judge though. Spent big chunks of my working life working for German companies and Germans in London and mostly they completely miss British irony taking things literally. They are good at satire though.

Do the Germans grant children of their Turkish gastabeiter born in Germany citizenship automatically these days?