Government info and advice : Coronavirus

Fascinating, thank you.

4 Likes

More left for me then! :slight_smile:

@Peter_Goble has it on the nail as ever…
Modern hospitals just don’t cut it any more in the way that the old tried and trusted methods did.
I doubt it is still the case but in particular, the old TB hospital buildings were always oriented to maximise on the sun and beds were pushed out of the ward to profit from life’s most natural disinfectant - fresh air and sun.
In my early 20’s I was an Ambulancier with the old Birmingham Fire and Ambulance Service and we used to keep a small fleet of ambulances back (usually the old “tired” ones) as zymo’s1. Any infectious patient requiring transport to hospital would be conveyed in one of these after which it would be scrupulously cleaned disinfected and the crew thereafter before the vehicle was returned to service.
I have one very fond memory of an old zymo breaking down in Edgbaston in the middle of the night requiring the attention of the Brigade to get it fixed. Another crew was sent with the next zymo in line to transfer the patient to hospital without further delay leaving me as the driver on this occasion with the broken down vehicle.
Well, the brigade break down truck arrived - imagine the scene. This truck was the size of a double decker bus plus some - big enough to pull a fully loaded fire engine water tender (and they are fooking heavy!).
The mechanic jumped out of the passenger side of monster mover - the appliance fully equipped in shiny red livery two tome horns the lot - and proceeded to get my old zymo working muttering continually under his breath about how useless us Ambulanciers are with simple things like engines.
Anyway, long story short, he manages to get it going and disappears off in to the night in a cloud of smoke - somewhere around 3am. His companion, the driver of monster red truck beckons me to hop in the passenger side of and we go off in hot pursuit - presumably back to the station.
No sooner than I had sat in the left hand seat the hooters came on - eeeee awwww eeee awww blue lights flashing making a hell of a racket at 3am with house lights going on all over the place.
Unable to contain my self any longer I shouted over the roar of the enormous engine and braying two-tone monster at the driver - “tell me” I bellowed, “do you always switch the two-tones on when following broken down ambulances in the middle of the night?”
No, he replied, calmly, but if you take your foot off the button on the floor… (I was sitting in the commanders seat). Sure enough the hooters abated and we trundled back to the station for me to be re-united with my precious - now fixed zymo which I proceeded to disinfect ready for the next job.
Priceless - and I often wonder when I hear sirens in the middle of the night if it really is an emergency or some rookie ambulancier placing his size 9’s in the wrong floor pan area of a roaring red monster truck. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
1Zymo abbreviation for Zymotic

adjective: zymotic

1. relating to or denoting contagious disease regarded as developing after infection, by a process analogous to fermentation.
5 Likes

As does Dairy products.

I heard one report of a lady wearing a plastic bag over her head!

That’s nothing

No rip-off Britain style pricing here en France…

1 Like

Sounds more like French bashing than truth. There are dirty people the world around. You aren’t really suggesting that the Brits are all fastidious in their cleanliness.

The French think the Brits are dirty because of their carpets. Logically you can easily clean a tiled or wooden floor. But who knows what lurks in and under a carpet?

1 Like

The mini carts at my local s/mkt claim to have anti-bacterial handles. I don’t believe it for a sec.

The French and others more used to tiles are appalled by the British way of carpeting bathroom floors. I suppose it started as showing that one was posher than people who could only afford lino.

I was amazed when friends who had had to throw out the wall to wall carpet of their bathroom after they had flooded it replaced it with yet more carpet.

Our last house in UK had fitted carpet in the kitchen of all places.
When we got round to it we replaced it with fancy Italian tiles which made much more sense.
he carpet itself had been in place for 20+ years I guess before we purchased the house and it was matted with grease, animal hairs the lot.
Not very healthy in all so best got rid of.

1 Like

[quote=“Annej2003, post:42, topic:29126, full:true”]

There’s a sliding scale of personal hygiene practices v contamination > illness. My own view is that Anne J is rather overdoing it.

I recall the front cover of New Scientist with a photo of two children playing in what the Americans call ‘the dirt’ and the headline [to the effect of] “Are we eliminating our children’s ability to resist?”

My mother was a nurse trained in the old school, as described by Peter Goble. Enamel bedpans scrubbed with caustic soda solution - no gloves. She served in the QA’s in WW2 on the Subcontinent and the Far East in circumstances where ideal medical hygiene practice was likely to be very difficult to achieve.

My upbringing did not feature the level of personal hygiene practiced by Anne J, especially during the 9 years of 8 months in 12 spent at boarding school. The gist of the piece in the New Scientist was that a certain level of exposure is necessary to keep one’s immune system in fighting trim.

I have perhaps given this notion a test to within a gnat’s of destruction. All I can say is that in some really hygienically dodgy situations, I’ve survived with no ill effects. In my years of travel to places where sanitation is absent or, if present, part of the problem rather than a solution, I’ve never had Delhi Belly

Probably the most testing was refilling my water bottle from a stump of rubber hose set sticking up in the middle of a muddy road in a Himalayan village. All forms of transport used this road, from buses and trucks to barefoot pedestrians and animals.

In Peshawar, Pakistan, the council urged everyone to use the dumps provided for the remains and offal of animals slaughtered during Eid, the festival following Ramaddan. Like hell they did. The smell of rotting animal in the Old Town was discernable in University Town, 5 or so miles up the GT Road. At 2 miles from the bazaar, I couldn’t face it and went home.

After Ramaddan for 7 months I took lunch with 40 of my Afghan colleagues. Six days a week we shared two enormous piles of mutton pilau, each man taking a couple of handfuls onto his plate and eating it with the right hand, assisted by nan bread. Drink was water from jugs into glasses which had not seen washing up as we know it, Jim.

I did have a short bout of a flu-type something. One of Vero’s colleagues at M.S.F. diagnosed “infection from inhalation of faecal dust”. There are whole countries, like Pakistan, where ‘inhalation of faecal dust’ is part of everyday life.

I am suspected, in some quarters, of ‘double dipping’ stuff like hummus or taramousalata. I have failed to convince my accusers that I always turn the slice of pitta or bread stick round to dip the ‘clean’ end…

2 Likes

Is there a link between this recent research:

And this:

It does raise suspicion as to why Donald Trump is looking so smug!

Supporters of FC Valencia went to the match in Milan and some came back infected. The return leg, in VLC, will be played in an empty stadium.

Yet the fiesta of Mascleta, 16 days of audio-fireworks, is going ahead. Thousands of people gather in the main plaza and streets around to have their hearing damaged by 5 minutes of monstrous, military-grade explosives.

Come March 17th, Mascleta is augmented by Las Fallas, the 3 day fiesta featuring enormous tableaux, set up in neighbourhood plazas and on intersections in the city. Unless they self-quarantine, the streets will be packed with people for hours, circulating around the city admiring these amazing constructions.

The gondolier is about life-size.

HM The Queen, about the size of a 6 year-old, is seen as responsible, wielding a saw, for cutting Britain off from the EU. The caption on the board under her feet reads [in Valenciano] “What will the hoteliers do now? Who will there be to get drunk? Who will jump off balconies?”

The bars and cafes will overflowing - if it all goes off as usual.

Italy’s 6 Nations rugby games are postponed. The Bahrain GP this month will be held behind closed gates. Yet City Hall in Valencia has, so far, shown no sign of preventing thousands of people congregating for hours for a total of 19 days.

They’re bonkers.

but it can make you go blind…

One of the Virus’s sneakiest tricks is that people are asymptomatic AND infectious for up to a couple of weeks. Therefore we should keep well away from everybody, not just those exhibiting symptoms.

3 Likes

absolutely…and this is another reason for folk to stay home… they may not know they have the virus and every sortie offers a risk of passing it on to other folk…

stay at home… and remove the risk… seems safest to me… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Exactly. We only go out for food and/or medicine and even then steer clear of everybody.

1 Like

Lettre Service-Publique 26 Mars 2020