Grue Sightings for Spring

Very cloudy here too! Luckily they were low. There have been times I’ve only heard them not seen them. Need to keep an eye on the rain as I’ve got washing out.

That’s why they were low. :grin: They were right over our roof top. We reckon about 5-6,000, all in less than an hour. It’s now raining and the wind has moved back to NW. I think they were running ahead of this front that’s moved in.
I’ve just told OH we can never move! Or at least certainly only move to somewhere else where we will be under their flight path. Just such an uplifting sight. :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve been popping in and out… hoping to catch a sighting… but now the rain is just toooo much.

As you so rightly say @SuePJ it really is an uplifting sight… and we can all do with a little uplifting these days… I reckon. :hugs:

1 Like

They flew over last evening in the dark - impressive formation flying!

2 Likes

about half an hour ago straight over our house.

Strangely, about 2 hours ago, out on a walk, we saw a good number of grue - flying in classic Vee, but flying West-to-East! They flew almost overhead and we could see them for 2 or 3 minutes, still flying Eastwards.

5 Likes

There is more than one route… and more than one summer feeding/breeding ground… so yes, they will be going in different directions from time to time…

(or… perhaps the leader has a covid-related problem with the gps… :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:)

could you see any masks ???

1 Like

I wonder if the big group is just going over, I’ve been on the phone out on the terrace to my sister and can’t see a thing (obviously!) but oh my goodness the noise!!! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Just seen about 100 above us. Third time this morning and rarely seen them here in 17…noisy!

Perhaps next year we can go south so we get to see some… I’ve only ever seen them in zoos :frowning:

There are lots of websites Angela that give you more information. There are lakes within France that act as staging grounds where the cranes can be seen. So you may not need to come down south to watch them in the wild. These two sites I just googled tell you a bit more.

https://www.thegreatcraneproject.org.uk/seeing-cranes/continental-cranes

1 Like

That is very interesting Sue - thank you very much :hugs:

I had no idea how the migration worked - SW-NE and vice versa, so perhaps a little visit to some of the lakes you mention might be a very therapeutic idea in the right season…

I suppose a lot of folks in France are used to seeing them as they Grue up with them :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Oh very good Colin! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Anyone mentioning grues needs to stork about the other big migrating birds :blush: they fly v fast as their name attests - cigogne (see? gone)

2 Likes

We’ve just had hundreds pass over which is very unusual as we’re on the very edge of the normal migratory route, the strong easterly winds we’ve had in the last couple of days might have blown them off course.

2 Likes

I reckon they taking all sorts of detours this year, to avoid being spotted by me !!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Friends in the commune are happily spotting them and ringing me to say so… I rush out… nuffink… aaargh. :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I thought they had all gone but we’ve seen hundreds today!

2 Likes

I saw lots yesterday - heard them first, I love hearing them calling to each other and chatting :heart:

2 Likes