Guy Verhofstadt - Six months after the triggering of article 50

finally there are serious calls for a second referendum

Indeed so. However, I’d prefer to hear it called “a referendum on the negotiated terms/facts of potentially leaving the EU”. It should not be perceived as a re-run of the ridiculous event that happened last year.

The EU negotiating team will be very amused by that, won’t they. How many man (and presumably woman) hours have been expended on this fiasco so far?

quite right - Cameron put no safeguard clauses in the 1st one, so if we ever get a second one lets do it intelligently

I am sorry that I have to explain to Leavers their own national costitutio, again.

The UK is a monarchy (hold on till I get to the end). And as such those who hold power, hold it without any constraint. The group holding it in this monarchy is parliament. The moment they are elected or appointed they have no restraint. They may do as they please. Thats why the UK has secret courts, may forbid association, allow trial twice for the same offence, create retrospective legislation and take away someones money on the decision of an official. (I hope that you know this, you allowed it to happen. Or maybe you are of the political persuasion that believes that this is the right way to run a country.)

Because of this power, no present parliament may make promises that a future parliaments need be bound by. ( I’m sorry to shout but you appear to be deaf)
THIS ALL HAPPENS AS THE UK HAS NO CONSTITUTION.
So, as no one in the UK is able to make promises or guarantees, those dealing with the UK have to make sure that there is an independant judicial body that has powers to enforce descisions. If you are active in the WTO then there is a court to deal with this problem.
The ECJ already exists and has established procedures, the only reason that it is not used, IMO, is that May has suffered losses at its hands.

So the answer to this question is quite simple, stop kidding yourselves that you are citizens with inalienable rights, you aren’t, you are subjects.

Get yourselves a Constitution.

2 Likes

Would that be the sort of clause that enables the Gov’t to wheedle out of implementing the result if they don’t happen to like the way that the people vote ?
Surely that wouldn’t exactly be very democratic.

Please refer to my argument above. Its not democratic as you DON’T live in a democracy.

Get yourselves a constitution.

I presume that by logical extension you are effectively claiming that the ‘Mother of all Parliaments’ is undemocratic !!
You are entitled to your opinion of course, but from your lack of knowledge of the checks and balances enshrined within the UK’s Constitutional Monarchy it might raise less ire within the community as a whole if you left it to those with a more British heritage than yourself to decide the appropriate form of government for the UK.

How dare you question my British heritage. (Happily both French and Jewish, a fully authenticated Londoner) You are no more than a pestilential troll who knows nothing of the system of the governance of the United Kindom nor of good manners.
I reject your pathetic attempt to argue by insulting and advise others to ignore your pathetic slogan ‘Mother of Parliaments’. A mother without father, who is prepared to deprive her children of freedom and liberty in the name of ‘anti terrorism’ A body, some of whoes members have been for sale and pilfer from the public purse. (There are others who are murdered for their beliefs )

The plain simple truth of the UK’s governance is that a majority of one in the Commons, and another in the Lords may overturn any right, privilege, possession and furthermore delegate its extreme powers to pontificating know nothings to exercise them without control.

If you have an argument (It might be ‘keep the plebs down, you don’t know where it will lead to’) then make it and don’t waste space with slogans and insults.

1 Like

The UK Parliament and political system isn’t particularly democratic. You have a chance of choosing an MP only once every 5 years and there is no mechanism of recall in the case of a constituency’s electorate’s dissatisfaction with their choice.

Ministers are chosen by the PM and the PM himself/herself is chosen by their party members.

If that’s democracy, it’s not a very good example.

PS - I’m 100% British, so no problems with my “British heritage”, I hope. Not that I care one jot about a mere accident of birth.

1 Like

I dare Sir, precisely because you yourself have previously stated on this website that you have comparatively little familial British heritage. “I am happy to admit that as a Londoner both sides of my family were immigrants, my name is Perou, of French origin, my mothers maiden name was Hart, Polish Jews.” ----- Your words Sir, not mine.

I must say that I am having difficulty in understanding your seeming objection to the Prevention of Terrorism Act which was brought into law by Parliament for very good reasons indeed. I can assure you that the use of that particular piece of legislation is always closely scrutinised by very senior police officers, and also by the Courts at every stage of it’s use.

The main point that I’m making is that there are many of us who prefer the UK’s existing form of governance (with all its faults) to that of the EU. We simply wish the UK to remain as an independent self governing country and not be sucked into the concept of ‘Ever Closer Union’. That is why, as things stand at present, the UK is leaving the EU, and as a consequence of that, the jurisdiction of the ECJ.

Certainly I would agree with you that the ‘First Past the Post’ voting system at General Elections could do with reform. It does seem daft that the elected MP very often has more people voting against them than for them.
A recall system in cases of gross misconduct by an MP also has it’s merits.

I have responded to Mr Hodge by private message.

Meanwhile to all our readers

BOO!

from a terrifying Uk immigrent (15th generation)

With all due respect, you have questioned your own British heritage yourself.
"Get yourselves a constitution " and repeat…

Lets go back to where all this started.
Mr Hodge expressed his opinion that the ECJ should never be allowed any jurisdiction in the UK.
My opposing view was that the way that the British choose to run their affairs was that no guarantees by any part of the legislative or administration could be effective.(fingers crossed behond my back principal).
The only way to over come this problem is to bind Parliament to its descisions in the use of its power. This is called a Constitution. The UK doesn’t have one. Get one or you remain subjects and not citizens.

There are now two of you that claim that to disagree with them is not British. I suggest that readers look around the web to find out who else find Britishness an important factor. Is the date when my ancestors arrived in the UK important?

Hi Richard,
I have no issue with whether you are 1st, 15th or 100th generation British - to me that is an irrelevance.
As a sidenote, my wife is an economic immigrant to the UK - She is French and ‘came over’ 12 years ago and again this is irrelevant but you can see that I am open to migration, - I married a migrant. Hopefully before too long I myself will be an immigrant in France.

What I think is interesting is your choice of language.
When you say “My opposing view was that the way that the British choose to run their affairs” it suggests that you see yourself as non-British. The British are ‘they’.
If you had said “My opposing view was that the way that the British choose to run our affairs” or “the way that we British” this might give more of a view of you seeing yourself as British to the recipients of your messages.

I have no interest in getting into an argument about whether you are British or not as I don’t think it matters but my humble suggestion would be that if you wish to convey and reinforce your British status you may wish to use language that firmly states your inclusion.

I trust you’ll take these comments in the spirit in which they were intended.

1 Like

What nobody seems to have told Mrs. May and Mr. Davies (and everyone else) is that Mr. Bernier is not there to negotiate. He’s only remit from the EU is get the Brits to sign up to whatever the EU wants - it’s all about the money, stupid - no negotiation required.

2 Likes

Who’s Mr. Bernier?

Time for us to get out of Europe completely!! As someone who voted remain, it wasn’t to be controlled by the likes of Verhofstadt, Juncker, Barnier et al. Amazingly recently had lunch with five professional French couples (including a lawyer, banker, vet, pharmacist and small business owner). They all want far less control from the EU in particular Juncker and Queen Merkel and all but one favoured Frexit!!!

1 Like

Why is she ‘Queen Merkel’? Did not realise she was an unelected head of state, like our Queen? :slight_smile:

Martin

1 Like