Hallowe'en Night - Does it happen where you are?

I read about that today. What an awful experience for the lady and her dog. Apparently the dog tried to get away from the youths because obviously he was scared, but at the same time he was trained to be there for his ‘friend’. Both are traumatised !
If they catch the youths responsible then how about tying bands around their eyes, pushing them into an open space and then letting passers by jeer and jostle them ?

I think blind-folding and jostling the perps is a very tempting form of retribution, Ann.

My only concern, in the current UK climate of naked hostility and absent on-the-beat bobbies, is that it would fuel mob violence and instant justice for perceived misdemeanours.

In Africa mob execution was the rule for any motorist involved in an accident with a pedestrian, in a country with virtually no pedestrian crossings or road markings outside the few urban centres.

We were always advised if you injure a pedestrian NEVER stop to investigate, just drive off as fast as you can, or you’ll be killed on the spot by an instant death-squad of bystanders.

Yes I can understand what you are saying Peter and that really is going too far.

It’s just that I get so frustrated that things like this appear to become the norm and once again the weakest are the target. :frowning:

1 Like

And I think your idea of making the punishment fit the crime has a lot of merit, Ann. The use of Community Service Orders and such like has become clichéd now, I think, and custodial sentences just seem to make things worse, so prisoners become more vengeful, more desperate, more damaged, and more likely to re-offend.

We had only one group of kids…i was so happy to see them all and watch their faces as i spoke english! So absolutely adorable…made my whole week! :jack_o_lantern:

1 Like