Hand Made

Good day yesterday no distractions.I made 11 dresses, 4 pairs of dungarees, a bib and one and a half pairs of shorts. I admit they were all already cut out and I had half a pair of shorts that I started yesterday, but I still think it's amazing what you can do when you get a whole day to yourself with no one to bug you.

Hi

I've googled peg looms again and have seen a really pretty example of a rug made with strips of fabric. Certainly worth trying. There's something particularly satisfying about making things with recycled stuff.

Hi Catt

I really like the sound of your rugs and wallhangings - the fact that the work goes quickly is attractive too, as I am quite impatient. And I like the idea that you can use reclaimed fabrics. I still don't quite get how it looks when you use strips of fabric though - but I suppose this kind of thing becomes clear once you try it. I can imagine the rugs would look great on your slate floors. I think I will have a go at this at some point.

I don't suppose you have any pictures do you?

Hi Patrice, I make rugs on peg looms here in Wales, using all sorts of yarns and fabrics. Its really easy to do, and very satisfying as it (the rug) grows quite quickly. You can stitch panels of rugs together to make a bigger size, but they do get very heavy. The biggest loom I have allows me to make a rug approx 1m width and whatever length I choose. I am at present working on a semi circular one......in between the many other varied projects I seem to have on the go at the same time....(well, you never know when inspiration may strike, he he he!)

The rugs are brilliant on cold slate floors we have, and mostly I use reclaimed washable fabrics, i.e, old curtains, duvets, clothes, so they can get chucked in the washing machine with ease. They ones I have created as wall hangings are more elaborate and more "multi media", using fabrics, yarns, plastic, etc, etc.

Have a go, its fun, and very addictive!

Hi there - are there any needle crafters in the Northern Deux Sevres, or in the Vienne (north)? I am keen to join/ start a craft group, but not having much luck.

Hi. Just saying hello. I can't knit, but like patchwork, embroidery and applique. I was interested by the idea of a 'peg loom' that I had never heard of before. If you use strips of cloth, is the end product like a rag rug? Or could you make squares and then sew them together in a kind of patchwork?

Just wanted to say hello, as I'm a knitty, sewingy person too! Most of my stuff is creating weird fashions, alternative style clothing, but I love to make normal clothes too, presently I am making bridesmaid dresses and huge curtains! I do knit quite a bit, mostly in the winter and not only with wool, but anything that takes my fancy, be it wire or plastic, whatever. I adore patchwork and have made several very warm useable quilts out of all kinds of scraps including my OH's old check workshirts!.At the moment I am half way between Mid Wales and Brittany 22, but hope to move for good soon.

I know what you mean there never seems to be enough hours in the day. I found that I was getting so bogged down with all the garden & house jobs that I didn't get any time to create. I now make a point of doing a little every night, even if it's only 1/2 hour or so. I find it quite theraputic and calming - that is if the project is going to plan!

The advent calender sounds a lovely idea, Patricia. You've got 5 months to finish it so you should be OK.

@ Viv...I'd quite like my peg loom this year though.

A peg loom is the simplest to make - especially with a 'handy' husband!!

I have seen, and now hanker after a 'peg loom' big enough to make rugs with - which can be using with spun 'rovings' (I think that's what they're called). Also great for using up those metres of fabric.

I've just finished crocheting a baby bunny comfort blanket & booties. Still have a hexagon throw to finish - long-winded w.i.p. I'm about to start edging table cloths and making bunting for a jubilee party next weekend. One of those things you think is a good idea at the time but then you start to realise you have loads to do! I tried to buy an Olaf rotary cutter & mat today but with no joy. I shouldn't be surprised, I find it so difficult to buy anything like this locally. I expect I could have got it in Bordeaux but I haven't go time to go there. I might see if I can get it delivered in the next couple of days, but I'm not holding my breath.

Margo, I'm glad to see someone else scoured the brocantes and vide greniers for sewing & knitting bits. I have picked up some lovely bits of lace and embroidery.

I've got 2 'knitteds' to finish - a wedding ring shawl for my d-i-l , using a single ply (bought from fascinating yarns) but it is so fine and fiddly I can only work on it for a short while at a time, and socks (I am a sock-knitting addict). Also, long term crochet afghan to do.

Still trying to finish the white cardigan..Thanks for the links Karen

Is anyone making anything , are we all too depressed by the fluctuating weather?

I am sewing madly for spring and summer stock but would like time to experiment with new ideas. I seem to be malking the same old stuff again, it's still popular but..........

I'm a novice but there are lots of sites out there which great advice. Ravelry.com is very good and has loads of patterns too. These are also good for information etc. craftyminx, maybe matilda and lion brand. One point to remember is that US & UK crochet terms are different. Are you using the correct stitches? Here is a helpful conversion table. I don't know if you have discovered Pinterest but there are lots of ideas, patterns and information posted on there. Here's a link to my page so you can see what you can find!

Good luck,

K x

Thanks Maria, I have not heard of Raverlry, but I`ll do a search.

Cheers.

Does anyone here crotchet? I need some advice if there is anyone who can help. I`m crocheting a Granny Stripe blanket but the stripe is going wobbly, it`s not straight and it`s curvy! I`m using acrylic yarn and a 4 mm hook.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am left handed but always knitted right handed. But, if you want to do something left handed, get a mirror and reverse the pics. Otherwise. there are various bits and pieces on techniques on YouTube and Ravelry and remember the 'right' way to knit is the way that works for you.
I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome, but find that by holding the yarn in my left hand, pretty much as if I'm crocheting, I don't suffer from numb fingers. Ahhhh the joys of getting older.

And @ Helen - knitting machine - there's this whole other language to relearn - sponge bar, sinker plate ... there's a Ravelry machine knit forum, worth a visit, but above all they all emphasise not to move the carriage until you have checked/changed the sponge bar, since they only last for a few years.
Alas, mine is a long way from working yet - years of gunk melted and reset, and we're guessing it took a knock somewhen, so something is out of place, and the needles won't selcet. Still we did manage to download the service manual. Well, it keeps my OH busy at the weekends, trying to figure it out. :-)