Hardware for govt software

I use Linux lite on a very old PC and have a smartphone. I need something cheap to run govt software. Something with a reasonable keyboard or keypad So I’m tempted to buy a Chromebook. I’m only slightly familiar with ameli which seems to work fine on a browser. But I have no knowledge of any other govt software. Any suggestions would be welcome

Firstly, which version of Linux are you using and what is the basic spec of your old machine.
Some “flavours” of Linux run very well on old PCs with little RAM.
Secondly, why govt software are you looking to use.

1 Like

I’d pick something with an i5 processor from the last 4 years plus 8GB RAM and if you can, SSD to boot. I’ve no idea what the software will require, but that should be OK for at least another 3-5 years. If buying PC stuff, try to avoid things based on laptop hardware, since that will always run less effectively than equivalent spec tower hardware and is often a bit cheaper.

I recently acquired a couple of ex-office systems with nominally similar processor performance, 1 micro system using laptop hardware & one small form factor with mATX motherboard. The larger form factor boots much faster to W10 desktop, and feels much snappier to use. I also popped Mint-cinnamon on the micro unit, but even then it’s not so responsive.

Linux Lite - it lives up to the name (XFCE based IIRC).

1 Like

Sorry @Ancient_Mariner quite right… Debian/ubuntu based and should run most things on legacy machines - usually provided you don’t try to run it in a dual boot environment with Windoze of any version…
This Q&A from Ask ubuntu might point you in the right direction…

I wouldn’t advise a Chromebook unless price is your main driver.

1 Like

Out of interest, why not dual boot?

FWIW I’ve been pleased with how snappy an OS can feel off a live pen drive.

I think he actually means websites… Given the ameli reference. And they all work with any modern browser (chrome, opera, whatever) - the same thing you use for ameli.

I have no issues with Linux, I 'm using v 3.18. The office package libre 5 is okay but only has compatibility with word up to 2013 which has caused problems. Also disappointed with Firefox as it does crash too often. So maybe I should change the office package and the browser.
On reflection I seemed to have asked a stupid question as all govt software for paying taxes fines etc is going to be browser based. And yes I am thinking of buying a Chromebook because of its price and convenience It would be a handy stopgap which I can throw away with a clear conscience in a couple of years .

I’d much rather spend 300 euros on some 3 year old mid-range hardware than the same on a new chromebook.

Linux lite is up to version 5.8, so it’s no surprise that such ancient - and I use the word intentionally - software crashes and is unreliable.

By the way @geoffrey_Croshaw - it would be useful to know your budget.

As you mentioned a Chromebook I assume @Ancient_Mariner is somewhere near the mark at 300€?

1 Like

My PC is 15 years old and never let me down. But I believe Linux 3.8 is the best it can cope with. Since we decided to move to France I’ve had to use it a lot for basic wp and sp work and even the online Irish passport application software which was hopeless on the smartphone. But as we’re moving shortly I need to pack it away soon so I’m thinking as we’re likely to be without broadband for at least a couple of weeks a cheap Chromebook would take its place especially as I hate trying to wordprocess etc on a smartphone. I’m thinking of spending between£100 and £200. At the moment I just don’t need a high tech machine but just one that’s compatible with current software

you might find this reference from Ask ubuntu helpful if you are thinking of Chromebook…

I was referring specifically to having two or more OSs resident alongside each each other in grub. It can cause issues.
FWIW booting Windows as a second OS from a live pen drive would be my preference too.
Here is a useful tutorial for installing ubuntu on Chromebook…

I’ve run multi boot systems on and off - I think the max number is 4 OSs on a single drive, but maybe things have changed with secure boot requirements.

I did play briefly with TAILS but have no need to either hide my activities or to make myself stand out. :smile:

So, Pentium 4 or early Core 2 Duo.

These will run modern versions of Linux. I have a motherboard with a Core 2 Duo on which Fedora is installed on a compact flash card. It works but I wouldn’t call it snappy.

Ick, that’s a tight budget.

Yes, you can get a Chromebook for that money but it will be awful, it will have a fairly small screen which is not full HD, maybe 64Gb of eMMC storage (basically an SD card soldered to the motherboard) and a build quality that will make you weep.

They are also tricky to get Linux installed - you can do it on modern Chromebook’s but it actually runs inside a virtual machine.

I’d seriously look at what you can get 2nd hand

I’ve been tolerably impressed with the Lenovo “tiny” range - Dell have a similar range (almost exactly the same form factor). Sufficient that I bought a Lenovo for use in the UK and a Dell for use in France.

For your budget you could get something like this

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/334126294180

add a cheap full HD 21" monitor and you will have a far better experience than a Chromebook.

Sadly, it just isn’t a good time to be buying computer hardware at the moment, with Covid and now the war in Ukraine prices have shot up and you might have to adjust your budget a bit.

1 Like

That Lenovo M900 would be just so much better than a Chromebook.

I have a late 2008 Macbook that we used occasionally up to last year for watching movies & as a travel computer. It would lag and sweat, overheat and struggle to do nothing special.

and, as for running govt software - your original question - sometimes I have found that Firefox won’t run some sites but in such cases, Chromium Web Browser usually does. There is also Brave web browser - (similar to Chromium) to consider.
They are not necessarily my choice of Browser (I use Firefox) but there are alternatives out there when your first choice seems not to work.

1 Like

Some hardware specifications have been suggested - with which I’d agree.

A “4 core/4 thread” CPU is a good balance between price and performance, these are usually designated i5, I’d also suggest at least a “4th generation” CPU.

Intel CPUs normally are designated “Celeron” - generally 2 cores and two threads, i3 (2C/4T), i5 (4C/4T) and i7(4C/8T) though there is some overlap and occasional divergence - eg the i5-8600T which I’m using at the moment is a 6C/6T processor.

The generation is normally the first digit after the “i” number - so the M900 that I linked is a 6th generation CPU, my i5-8600T is 8th generation

We’re now at 12th generation so the generation number is the first two digits after the “i” number.

8GB of RAM is the minimum, 16 better but avoid anything with 4GB or less as they will struggle with modern operating systems.

256 or 512GB of disk should be enough but a solid state drive (SSD) will give the computer a much “snappier” feel and I would choose (eg) a 256GB SSD over a 512GB hard drive. The 128GB SSD in the M900 that I linked is slightly on the small side but it would be possible to upgrade later.

What we haven’t talked about is screen size - IMO a significant factor in usability is to have a decent sized screen with high enough resolution. Obviously laptops and tablets are limited by their form factor but I would recommend at least a 21" full HD (i.e 1920x1080) monitor for desktop use.

I have a 3440x1440 ultra wide screen monitor so even full HD starts to feel cramped. The M900 will also drive two monitors and, trust me, if you have the room to set that up it revolutionises desktop use if you need two applications, or two websites open at the same time.

1 Like

Very tempted to get one of these but I really can’t justify it - just fancy getting one - need to get a job first!

1 Like