Has it become "fashionable" to hate Ryanair?

We have noticed that Ryanair do have a tenancy to cancel flights at the merest hint of an approaching strike whereas Easyjet seem far more determined and continue to fly.

It’s good to know that you are supporting the Irish racing industry as well.

1 Like

I used Ryanair from Prag to Dublin for 2 years and never once did it arrive or leave on time. That said it served its purpose and at a reaonable price. I stopped using them when they changed the flight schedule to cater for the cheaper slot options at prag airport thereby arriving at 10 pm at night just before the airport shuts down. Ryanair do use mainly regional airports due to the handling cost and the subsidies involved hence the flight pricing. Sqeezyjet are the same. I never had a problem with either they do what it says on the tin. A longstanding friend of mine who was a pilot with Ryanair has mentioned some things which were basically criminal practices and broke international laws, so yup if ryanair or sqeezyjet crew go on strike and cripple the airline, i for one wont be sorry for the like of o,bleary or stoupolos.

O`Bleary treats his stable crew like his cabin crew, disgusting.

You are obviously one of the people who Ryanair does not suit and I’m sure that you were happy to pay for an airline that met you needs.
Ryanair is an employer like any other, nobody forces pilots or cabin crew to work for them.

4 Likes

David, i am not one of the people who Ryanair doesnt suit, i commuted from Dublin to Prag on a 2 weekly basis, it was a nessecity and used as a means of transport. I later changed to Airylingus when Olearyair changed the schedule. The frills and whotsits or the lack of, were the same cattle truck style. True Olearyair are “just” an employer but not like any other when it comes to workers rights etc. Yep the workers choose to work for him and wer,nt forced, but they are employed like slaves. From 10 hours on the job they get paid for 6 -7 hours, the rest is down time. The pilots are not much better off, paid from wheels up to wheels down. You have to know the behind the scenes practices to make statements like you just made.

I’m well informed thank you. As I pointed out you were able to use an airline that suited your needs. I find Ryanair great. Quite often my children let me know that they’re coming to visit for a few days, arriving at a rural airport near to where I live because they’ve bought tickets for less than the price of a takeaway. For the hour and twenty minutes that they spend on the plane they seem to find the no frills approach perfect.

2 Likes

CattleAir and SqeezyJet operate what is basically a bus service.
Just be grateful Chris Grayling doesn’t run them :rofl:

Glad to hear all the positive comments. We’re about to use them as OH has moved London way. Previous used FlyBe out of Southampton who are much more expensive and gained the title FlyMayBe due to the numerous times they have cancelled our scheduled flights to Limoges.

Many of Ryanair’s over 10,000 cabin crew are provided to Ryanair via crewing agencies and are not directly emplyoyed by Ryanair Dublin.

Salaries, benefits and the working environment are all clearly detailed on their careers website. No one is forced to apply :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Where the heck is Prag @anon53589976 ?

Prague?

1 Like

:wink:

Prag or for the not so proficient Prague, Capitol city of the Czech republic

Now known as FlywontBe. I once saw 4 FlywontBe aircraft on the tarmac at Cork all with knackered engines and no replacements in sight.

I agree.Ryanair rarely gets any praise but you get what you pay for.Its held up as a business model at top business schools.The staff are pretty pleasant.Last Feb our flight was diverted to Perpignan ,due to heavy snow,instead of Beziers.We spent night in Perpignan and it took all day to get to Beziers by coach as we could not start until 2pm…Whole journey took better part of 2 days. All the expenses fell on Ryanair except the wine! It was quite an adventure and I made new friends!
In all honesty they have not let me down over last 2 yrs using them x 5 p.a to Luton etc.If no Ryanair out of Beziers I would need to go to Montpellier an extra 75 K away.S o carry on Ryanair! We need you!

2 Likes

Silly me - thought it was Praha…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Had supper with a friend of my parents in October who was telling us all about his lovely house outside Lemberg, it took me a while to realise that it is the place I think of as Lviv/Lvov/Lwów but I suppose the excuse is we were all speaking German.

Similarly when I lived in Antwerp and spoke Flemish all the time it took me ages to realise the Mechelse Steenweg is also called the Chaussée de Malines, etc etc.

As I Which? member, I agree with you:
I remain a member despite some serious concerns about Which? - They are affiliated to the Labour party by-the-way.
One of the problems with Which? surveys is that the respondents are self-selecting, which means it is only the ones with an axe to grind who reply. - In fact Which? only ever ask me about my car ???

I find Ryanair perfectly good for the price.

1 Like

To pick up an old thread…

La famille Flinders is flying again next week - despite this being an activity in which I swore a few years ago I would not willingly partake.

So, booked LGW to FLR - BA or Vueling seem to be the options but it’s actually the same flight and operated by Vueling so we booked with them.

That might have been a mistake

Vueling’s reviews on Tripadvisor look like this

Choose English reviews only and it is even “better”

Even Ryanair get more “good” reviews than “terrible”

Can’t recall the price, didn’t seem expensive - cheaper than BA who give a baggage allowance but the Vueling website said a 23kg bag was £11 (or was it 11€), so still cheaper than BA (this is the same flight remember) - or so we thought.

To add 2 hold bags between the three of us cost an extra £80 (basically £20 each, times out and return flights), so not pleased that the website says “From £11” - couldn’t see any option at that price.

More fun came with seat allocations - to choose seats with decent leg room and seated together was a minimum of (I think) 18€ - sounds reasonable but when there are three of you and that is each way it starts to add up. The only “free” option is to wait until a week before the flight and then go for random allocation (so quite likely not seated together).

There is no wonder people feel that these airlines are a rip-off, in fact adding high extra fees after the basic booking has been made and paid for (so a hassle to cancel and re-book) just seems to be guaranteed to piss people off before they have even got on the plane.