Have you/Do you change your tyres for Winter and Summer?

I am switching shortly to Michelin Crossclimate tyres which work well in both seasons are are snowflake marked so qualify as winter tyres when needed.

But just like any compromise not as well as the right tool for the right job

It may be a sensible compromise and an improvement over “normal” tyres.

Hope so, and hopefully you’ll let us know. Save a lot of swapping around and might improve some people’s lives that don’t change over to winter tyres.

These are what I’ve got fitted (265/55R18) and seem to give a good all round performance

As long as you’re happy :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a friendly heads up particularly to those living in Eastern France.
The prospect of cheaper fuel, alcohol and tobacco together with great food and a pretty City might tempt you to visit.
Note that it is compulsory to have winter tyres (or all weather) in Luxembourg if the temperature falls below 6c.
There are no checks BUT if you have an accident and have summer tyres you may come to the notice of the Police and might even find your insurance will regect any claims.

1 Like

I think the idea of Winter tyres becoming obligatory is a good one, in areas where the temperature drops low enough to warrant it. My brother lives in Sweden and has got used to the bi-annual changing of the tyres.
We took our Jeep Cherokee to the slopes without chains as we couldn’t purchase the correct size. The Jeep handled itself well in the very snowy conditions. After that we had a VW Sharan and had snow boots for that. We only used them once, but I was very impressed with the handling and the ease with which they went on and off.
A later 4 x 4 vehicle (needed for towing) was a Hyundai Terracan. They stopped making them in 2007 (ours was one of the last). What a car that was! It never got stuck and could tow splendidly, especially on muddy fields. I bought a second hand set of alloy wheels for that for £125 on ebay and fitted them with Winter tyres. The difference was very noticeable in the cold. The car felt more sure footed.
We changed our car for a VW Touareg. That was a mistake. A very nice car to drive, but not an off roader. Definitely a Chelsea tractor! I wanted to get another set of wheels and use Winter tyres for that, but the cost of the wheels is at the moment prohibitive. Maybe in the future.
For anyone wondering whether it is worthwhile, take a look at this test carried out by Autocar. We were already using them by then, but if we weren’t, the video would have convinced me!
They are using a 4 wheel drive Skoda Yeti with standard tyres and a 2 wheel drive Skoda Yeti equipped with Winter tyres.
The braking test from 30mph to zero was quite amazing.

Late again to a subject - I really AM slowing down! I bet the sun came out just after you did it? IN the Baltics it was obligatory to change to Winter tyres, but with six months of snow that made sense.

I always change to winter tyres at the beginning of oct and change to summer ones beginning April. Ever since it became law in Germany.

I used to live in Germany where by law you have to have winter tires on from October to April, so I had a double set for my E34 BMW that I’d spend an afternoon swapping at the appropriate times. Down here in France I just run on all-season tires because we get snow maybe once or twice per year in 69, and the all-season ones keep my car (now an E38 730 BMW) on the road just fine.

If we move to somewhere with more frost and snow, there’ll be winter tires on for sure though.