Have your eating habits changed since you came to France?

(Chrissie Ott) #1

Do you:

- eat radishes (the French variety, not the round ones) with a smear of butter, dipped in salt?
- mop your plate with a hunk of bread and then use the same plate for the next course? (Except for fish and pud, that is!)
- serve cheese with salad (and a knife and fork) and always before the pudding course?
- enjoy foie gras?
- drink your coffee black and strong?
- cook vegetables rather more than al dente when there are French guests who think, otherwise, that you are economising on fuel… :slight_smile:

I’ve been here 8 years and I’ve slowly adjusted to doing all the above - and more!

What changes have you noticed?

(Dedene Nelson-Court) #2

Catherine, You are braver than I am!

(Catharine Higginson) #3

We bought a whole pig for the freezer from the local farmer last year and felt that we should eat every part. The brain was quite tasty - fried it up and ate it with a green salad - told the kids it was lardons :slight_smile:

(Helen Aurelius-Haddock) #4

Interesting what you say about innards…
The children in our flock had a real shock at the school lunch table when such delights were served up.
They became affectionately known as “Guts in sauce” by my one nephew.

(Chrissie Ott) #5

Oooh, I’m lusting after tortillas now! :slight_smile:

I’ve tried a few minor innards (gesiers, coeurs de canard en brochette, liver as foie gras) but none of the more mucky bits. Brain, sweetbreads etc are definitely not my thing!

(Chrissie Ott) #6

Suzie… a radish-smearing trick: mark a cross in the ends (a bit like a Brussels sprout) and then dunk in ice water for a while. The crosses open up, making little smearable prongs. Piece of gateau! :slight_smile:

I’m a great under-cooker of meat. Took it to extremes once when, with French guests, the calor gas ran out! The shame of it! Unfortunately, it was a poulet that, although beautifully brown and crispy on the outside, resembled a chainsaw massacre survivor inside. It had to be spatchcocked and put under the mini-oven’s electric grill for a while. Ho hum. I under-cook veg for me, but cook them for longer (with gritted teeth) if French are coming. The first time I served haricots verts (cooked to snap perfection) to my neighbour, he turned to his wife and asked, not even bothering to whisper, ‘Has she cooked these?’ lol

(Dedene Nelson-Court) #7

I get asked often if I cook French or American. Now cooking American doesn’t necessarily mean hamburgers, but I do like to make Mexican food. Although where I live I can’t find any Cheddar Cheese. Alas!
I pretty much eat French except innards. I still can’t stomach rognons or heart or anything else like that. I’ve stopped caffeine totally after years of drinking black coffee.

I absolutely cook veggies and meat rare. But I’m more of a veggie person. I adore radishes of anykind and in any fashion.
Nice to see that so many gourmands here.

(Catharine Higginson) #8

My parents are complete Francophiles so in many ways, I was brought up ‘eating French’ - at least for the first three points! I still can’t bring myself to boil my veggies to death though…

French people often ask ‘do you eat English or French food’ which bemuses me no end. We eat a complete mixture of dishes from around the world but I guess the stereotype of British cooking persists!!

(Suzie Blackman) #9

Well I’m just not clever enough to get even a smear of butter to stay on a radish so just dip in salt. When I have managed it I can’t quite work out what it adds to the radish…
Can’t cope with more than one carb at a time so if there’s potatoes, pasta or rice I don’t have bread (unless there are french guests).
Like the cheese with salad and k & f (again less fattening - although I think I’m a lost cause on the dimensions front).
Can’t really drink any coffee after mid-day without staring at the ceiling all night.
And I can usually be accused of under-cooking meat and veg cos I like meat rare or pink and a bite to the veg.

I’m sure there are things that I’ve picked up since being here but can’t think what - probably become habit now.

(Sarah Hague) #10

Actually, not really. I think.

I tend to slice up radishes and chuck them in the salad, I don’t eat bread with meals (fattening), I serve salad as a first course and people are usually too full to eat cheese, but it would come before dessert (I don’t like salé after sucré). I do enjoy foie gras, don’t drink coffee (too exciting!!) and cook veggies how I like them cos I’m a selfish old bat.

I left the UK when I was 25 and living with my parents. The only living on my own I’d done on a severe budget at university, so I suppose I adapted to my new conditions but I don’t get the feeling I made radical changes. Of course, they could have come upon me surreptitiously and I just haven’t noticed.

(Jamie Schler) #11

Ha Ha I just wrote a piece for Huffington Post Food (its not up yet) about this! Discovering odd food: snails, raw clams and steak tartare! Who woulda thunk? Glass of wine with dinner, yes love the tiny radishes that was and foie gras. Other than that: I snack less, eat less junk food. But I’ve always loved food and have always been fairly adventurous!