Headlice nightmare!

Since 5th September I have been fighting a one woman battle, me against the creepy crawlies in my children’s hair. After having to write off 3 hours today treating the three of us (yes, I got it too - uggh) just so that my littlest didn’t have to miss out on a birthday party … I started to feel very fed up at having so much family time hijacked by these beasties. I am I alone out there with this problem - I wish the french would sort this out, or perhaps they don’t realise this is a uniquely french epidemic?? My kids have been to two french schools, and three english schools. No prizes for guessing which ones were rife with headlice. I love the french and the french way of life, but I really resent the non-stop pillow rotation and constant combing that goes with living here. I would much rather be out there enjoying the sunshine. Rant over!!

Lyclear does work but you can’t get it in France :frowning:

Have you tried a chemical solution such as a permethrin based lotion / condition or shampoo we used to use lyclear in the UK & it worked fine

The nit comb is 20…so way cheaper!

Mine was bought in Boots and I think (?) is own brand. good luck! x

Just bought Pouxit - 16euros for a tiny bottle of lotion!

I have tried all these things except the electric comb. Believe me the kids hate in when they have to get their coats out of the freezer on a cold morning… I add lavender to their shampoo, and drops on their collars. The problem is that as soon as you get rid of them, they catch them again. The cuddlies go in the wash, the pillows have anti mite covers on and two pillow cases. The duvet covers get turned the other way around. The treatment I use is olive oil with lavender and tea trea added. It suffocates the small ones, then I comb out the big ones and the nits, and it works really well, killing everything in one go, but it is time consuming and messy. I am interested in the electric comb. I never bought one because I was told they don’t work … is there a brand you can recommend? It’s only October, but I am already tired and fed up. The kids started the summer holidays with head lice, which I got rid of, only for them to catch it again at the Centre Loisir in August, then again continously since term started last month.

Prevention is better than cure … My daughter has enough hair for five people so as you can imagine Head lice are a nightmare … Trendy head scarves helped me no end … The day she didn’t wear it for a photo, back came nitty nora…also have you tried the prevention sprays

You need an electric nit comb as sold in Boots. Only thing that worked on mine and much cheaper in the long run. Plus it makes a really satisfying noise when you zap em!!

Yes there are nits in the UK but the problem is much worse here - I suspect because the products are more expensive so many mums simply don’t bother treating them :frowning:

Work in English schools and it’s not just a French problem. Head lice letters sent out regularly - bring back nitty nora the school nurse.

tea tree oil they hate it

Yunnan verbena and clove oil neat, diluted into either coco or sunflower oil , 1 to 8 /10 ratio.

These oils are the only two essential oils pharmaceutically proven to destroy a minimum of 90% of both eggs and lice.
The coco and sunflower oils suffocate the little critters.

Leave on hair for 20 to 30 mins, before washing out with regular shampoo.

Do weekly.

Alternatively, there’s an Australian product called Quit nits , the best product is the head and body lice foaming shampoo, which we use weekly, and then afterwards condition hair with Moo goo hair conditioner.

Works magnificently.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum

Not sure about this, I’ve read studies on both Tea Tree and Lavender EO when I had a nightmare nits period (actually have had them both in Oz and here). The Aussie product you speak of probably has TT in it. I tried SO many things. In the end the thing that worked best was I bought a huge cheap bottle of conditioner, mixed in lots (well probably 10 drops for the big bottle) of TT oil. Then smother kids head and leave it on for as long as you can, then with a bowl to rinse the comb just comb through EVERY section of hair. Repeat 3 times every 4 days I think it was (would have to look up the exact life cycle but pretty sure it was 3-4 days). I have had times where I’ve been utterly shocked at the number of nits and eggs in the bowl! Touch wood not had them for years.

A good trick if there is a note home saying someone at school has them is to mix lavender oil with distilled water in a spray bottle and spray hair before school.

Wash haïr every day use conditionner then nit comb . The ones with a double row of metal teeth are best. Dont forget to spray the car head rests with suitable nit spray.
Luckily they do grow out of it but it is stressfull at the time.

Electric nit zapper every time!